September in Ireland

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Pat, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I am going to be taking a cycle tour in Ireland sometime in September and
    was wondering what the recommendation would be for a rain jacket. I suppose
    it would be just a shell, but I don't know how much rain to expect. Can
    someone give me some suggestions for which jacket would do it and still be
    packable?

    thanks,

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. Nobody can tell you how much rain you will get. It could be lots or
    none but probably some. I never remember any cold weather in September
    in Ireland so a shell should be fine. Something breathable. In warmish
    weather if it's very wet, a tip.
    Take off your jersey and only wear the rain jacket. It's much cooler
    like that.
    You could also wear a fleece and shake it out if it gets saturated. I
    often do that in the summer.

    Where are you thinking of going?
    I live here and have been over most of Ireland on my bike. I'm the man
    to ask!

    Garry Lee.
    Cork.

  3. Pat:
    The issue is not "how much rain to expect," but how often there will not be
    a drizzle. In June 1991 I heard, "aye, it's a soft day," every day I rode
    that month. Granted, it was an exceptionally wet period (I believe the
    Wimbledon match was actually rained out that year).

    Garry Lee's reply suggestions to wear fleece or just a jacket are good. I
    wore no so-called rain gear, just a wool jersey and wool socks during most
    of the "soft" weather. On a few occasions I wore a light shell when it was
    colder or the skies really opened up. You will get used to it.

    Waterproof panniers are more important than what you wear unless you want to
    risk getting your copies of Dervla Murphy's books soggy or wish to drape
    your ordinance survey maps over the radiator heater to dry in your room
    every evening.

    The weather was a bit less extreme on a return tour in June 1993. That year,
    I often saw the sun and was able to dry out during a part of each day.

    Robert Raburn
    Oakland CA

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am going to be taking a cycle tour in Ireland sometime in September and
    > was wondering what the recommendation would be for a rain jacket. I
    > suppose
    > it would be just a shell, but I don't know how much rain to expect. Can
    > someone give me some suggestions for which jacket would do it and still be
    > packable?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Pat in TX

  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    In May we had sunny bright days, torrential downpour and everything in
    between. It was mostly nice but you need something good. There was a
    lot of off and on rain/drizzle.

    Tom

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    :
    : Where are you thinking of going?
    : I live here and have been over most of Ireland on my bike. I'm the man
    : to ask!
    :
    : Garry Lee.
    : Cork.
    :
    I want to go to County Clare to a town called Kilmurray-McMahon to look for
    some of my ancestors. There are the Hearys, the Gearys, and the McMahons to
    look for. They came to the States in 1850.
    After that, it's just general looking around, I suppose.

    Pat in TX