Sequencing Workouts/Intensity

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

You claim it measures glycogen depletion. I gave a link to your paper in a previous post. I don't have the desire to look up the link again as you no longer making the claim. As such TL and ATL are as defective as TSS.

---

If TSS predicts physiological strain, you should have some statement of that that we can test. I cannot find any such statement. I could only find your statement that TSS measures glycogen depletion. You made a statement about TSS not being related to performance recently. So I guess that performance based tests positive or negative are out.

---

I will try to help here.I have been unable to determine how the following 2 rides are similar with respect to TSS:

1hr; IF .90 (constant power 90% of FTP) with TSS of 81
1.92hr; IF .65 (constant power 65% of FTP) with a TSS of 81

(I would have made both rides 3 times as long, but I think this length shows the issues TSS has.)

The first ride is much harder than the second but you claim they produce the same predictions. (It is certainly hard for me to make the wording of your claims for TSS fit. But you get the idea.)

1. No, I've said that TSS is indicative of glycogen utilization, even though that wasn't what it was designed to do. You'd likely find a higher correlation with some other physiological measure of intensity x duration, e.g., 24 h urinary catecholamine excretion, but such data don't exist (yet?).

2. Again, since the time constants for CTL and ATL have nothing whatsoever to do with glycogen utlization (or, for that matter, any other physiological measurement), your logic is flawed.

3. Yes, TSS is intended to be a training stress score, not a training performance score. You can use it for the latter purpose (e.g., in the Performance Manager approach), but failure to recognize this limitation may lead you astray (which is why I frequently point it out).

4. Define "harder". Sure, 1 h at an IF of 0.90 will result in a higher perceived exertion during the effort and leave you feeling more tired immediately afterwards, but it is also something that you can recover from quite readily overnight (just ask Graham Obree, who set the hour record <24 h after a failed, full-duration attempt...and that would be at an IF of 1.00, not 0.90).

Originally Posted by acoggan .

1. No, I've said that TSS is indicative of glycogen utilization, even though that wasn't what it was designed to do. You'd likely find a higher correlation with some other physiological measure of intensity x duration, e.g., 24 h urinary catecholamine excretion, but such data don't exist (yet?).

2. Again, since the time constants for CTL and ATL have nothing whatsoever to do with glycogen utlization (or, for that matter, any other physiological measurement), your logic is flawed.

3. Yes, TSS is intended to be a training stress score, not a training performance score. You can use it for the latter purpose (e.g., in the Performance Manager approach), but failure to recognize this limitation may lead you astray (which is why I frequently point it out).

4. Define "harder". Sure, 1 h at an IF of 0.90 will result in a higher perceived exertion during the effort and leave you feeling more tired immediately afterwards, but it is also something that you can recover from quite readily overnight (just ask Graham Obree, who set the hour record <24 h after a failed, full-duration attempt...and that would be at an IF of 1.00, not 0.90).
1)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/normalized-power,-intensity-factor,-training-stress-score.aspx

"TSS ... might be best viewed as a predictor of the amount of glycogen utilized in each workout. Thus, a very high TSS resulting from a single race or training session can be used an indicator that one or more days should be scheduled."

Please tell me what is a better view. (I can find nothing on the internet that indicates any scientific basis for TSS. Only that you came up with it

---

2)

Given the quote above:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/racing-training-nutrition-triathlons/tss-score-guidelines-114728.html

"what I [Andrew Coggan] and others have observed is that a long-term average (e.g., CTL) of ~100 TSS/d (i.e., ~700 TSS/wk) represents the point at which most people begin to feel that they 'adaptive energy' limited, versus simply being time-limited. OTOH, a long-term average of ~150 TSS/d (i.e., ~1000 TSS/wk) seems to represent an upper limit that few, if any, have been able to exceed for an extended period of time and not break down in some manner or another."

CTL and ATL are clearly related to TSS which you said is "best viewed as a predictor of the amount of glycogen utilized in each workout." It does seem that CTL and ATL are related to glycogen utilization. But glucogen replacement has a half life of 7 hours.

---

4)

I am sorry. We both agree that "performance" is not related to TSS. So any claim that you can recover to perform again the next day seems out of bounds.

Had I anticipated your comments about Obrree I would have made the rides 100% for 1 hour vs. 55% for 3.3 hours both 100 TSS. Most of the guys here cannot do the first on multiple days, but most could do the second on multiple days. But as I said performance seems to be out of bounds.

---

Give me some type of experiment that will show that those 2 rides should have the same TSS.

Our discussions could be more productive if you would state a bit more precisely what TSS measures. Right now I only have your comments on glycogen depletion/utilization.

I don't think the people on this board have any interest in replicating my results. But their failure was in their ability to carry out the experiments not that the results were inconsistent with my claims.
There are no results to replicate. People cannot fail to replicate something that has not been done. Post some data.

This I suspect is one case where absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

1)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/normalized-power,-intensity-factor,-training-stress-score.aspx

"TSS ... might be best viewed as a predictor of the amount of glycogen utilized in each workout. Thus, a very high TSS resulting from a single race or training session can be used an indicator that one or more days should be scheduled."

Please tell me what is a better view. (I can find nothing on the internet that indicates any scientific basis for TSS. Only that you came up with it

---

2)

Given the quote above:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/racing-training-nutrition-triathlons/tss-score-guidelines-114728.html

"what I [Andrew Coggan] and others have observed is that a long-term average (e.g., CTL) of ~100 TSS/d (i.e., ~700 TSS/wk) represents the point at which most people begin to feel that they 'adaptive energy' limited, versus simply being time-limited. OTOH, a long-term average of ~150 TSS/d (i.e., ~1000 TSS/wk) seems to represent an upper limit that few, if any, have been able to exceed for an extended period of time and not break down in some manner or another."

CTL and ATL are clearly related to TSS which you said is "best viewed as a predictor of the amount of glycogen utilized in each workout." It does seem that CTL and ATL are related to glycogen utilization. But glucogen replacement has a half life of 7 hours.

---

4)

I am sorry. We both agree that "performance" is not related to TSS. So any claim that you can recover to perform again the next day seems out of bounds.

Had I anticipated your comments about Obrree I would have made the rides 100% for 1 hour vs. 55% for 3.3 hours both 100 TSS. Most of the guys here cannot do the first on multiple days, but most could do the second on multiple days. But as I said performance seems to be out of bounds.

---

Give me some type of experiment that will show that those 2 rides should have the same TSS.

Our discussions could be more productive if you would state a bit more precisely what TSS measures. Right now I only have your comments on glycogen depletion/utilization.
1. See my previous posts: TSS is a global indicator of the physiological strain resulting from a particular "dose" of training, as determined by the combination of intensity (relative to FTP) and duration. As such, it is predictive of glycogen utilization, (thus disproving your statement that it predicts nothing) - however, that wasn't my intent when developing TSS, and if I were to design a study to attempt to validate TSS, glycogen utilization would not be my first choice as a "gold standard" metric (although it is a handy way of illustrating the concept).

2. In the Performance Manager approach, CTL and ATL are indeed calculated from TSS, but the structure of the model (i.e., CTL/ATL/TSB and the associated math) is separate from the input function (i.e., TSS). IOW, you could use the Performance Manager approach with other metrics (e.g., Banister's TRIMP score) as well,

Based on the above, it should be obvious that the time constants of 42 and 7 d for CTL and ATL, respectively, have absolutely nothing to do with glycogen metabolism. Indeed, this is one of the conceptual limitations of the impulse-response model (upon which the Performance Manager is based and from which the time constants are derived), i.e., the model structure is almost entirely empirical in nature, and is not based upon any underlying physiology.

4a) You misunderstand: properly interpreted, TSS is a predictor of performance...however, that is because performance is related to stress (strain) and to adaptation, not because TSS is directly a TPS (training performance score) or TAP (training adaptation score).

4b) Doing all-out 1 h TTs on back-to-back days is a lot easier than you imply, and certainly easier than the impossible workouts you've suggested - indeed, on multiple occasions I (and others) have done back-to-back (and even back-to-back-to-back) 40 km TTs with <1 h (not 1 d) between them.

4c) Since TSS, the Performance Manager, etc., can't be said to have been scientifically-tested (only scientifically-inspired), the best evidence to address your questions/concerns comes from empirical observations, in particular what happens to CTL when people markedly change the composition of their training (e.g., shift from almost all level 2/3/4 to entirely level 5/6/7). What typically happens in that situation is that people have to reduce their training load somewhat, perhaps by 10-20%. Based on that, it would appear that TSS overestimates the stress of lower intensity, longer duration exercise compared to that resulting from shorter duration, higher intensity exercise. Rather than being disappointed in this result, though, I would argue that you should be impressed by it - after all, the notion that you can just "pin a number on it" and have a single metric adequately reflect all possible forms/types of training and their consequences is, on its face, simply ludicrous (as I pointed out when I introduced the idea). As it turns out, however, it is possible to do, and w/ sufficient precision/accuracy that the resulting tools are quite useful to know how to use them (just ask the recent Pan-Am TT champion's coach!). Perhaps more the point here, no one - yourself, most notably, included - have ever even proposed any alternative, much less demonstrated that it is better/easier.

Reactions: Barry Teal
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons .

This I suspect is one case where absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
Indeed, TOG is clearly just making this stuff up as he goes. Like a Frank Day, though, he is a useful foil for rehashing nearly decade-old discussions, thus hopefully enlightening those who are newer to training with (not by!) power.

Originally Posted by LT Intolerant .

I've just completed "Base" training (12 weeks of mostly SST & Endurance rides), and I am now moving into a 5 week "Build" phase. My plan is to ride Tue, Wed, Thu, and then do a hard group ride on Sunday.

My Tue-Thu plan is as follows:

Tue - ~ 20-25 mins of Vo2 - 5x4 or 5x5 + Additional Coggan L2/L3 miles = ~ 250 TSS
Wed - 2x20 TH + Additional Coggan L2/L3 miles = ~ 150 TSS
Thu - 1x45-60 SST + + Additional Coggan L2/L3 miles = ~ 225 TSS
Sun - Group Ride = ~ 300-350 TSS

In years past I've always taken an easy day between harder Tue/Thu workouts. I'm curious as to how others have approached resting/pushing themselves between harder workouts and what they observed in terms of performance later on.

Were you able to do higher quality work by resting between harder days?
Or did you see a better long-term payoff by pushing yourself using an approach similar to the Tue-Wed-Thu plan above?
Last, would you flip the Wed Thu wkts. given an SST ride "feels" easy compared to a 2x20 @ TH?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insights you might have.

Best,

gene r
Going back to the OP and looking at the schedule that is impressive to me. I am still testing myself in what I can and cannot do and with that observing TSS. It appears that my body is just not ready for that type of stress load. I do want to incorporate a big ride (6 hour/350 TSS) at least once of month as I am finding that >300 TSS I am not able to hit L4 on the consecutive days of training. Being consistent in training is high on my list of objectives so I cannot afford to do a single ride that will cause several days of rest or lower than L3 intervals.

This past Saturday I did a 100 mile ride that totaled 383 TSS at 0.79 IF. My training this week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) I have struggled to hold 0.85 IF on what is typically my L4 sessions. I will attempt 2x30 L4 tonight (Thursday) and then be ready for the endurance ride on Saturday and a 1x60 on Sunday.

I would love to be able to rack up that sort of TSS listed above during my work week because my time is very limited, but I also have observed that my body cannot cope with that level just yet. It is getting better each week. For the first time in keeping track of training in WKO for a couple of years my CTL has popped up over 90. My hope is that one day I can do a 350+ TSS type of ride and it not be detrimental to my following training days. I am slowly adapting to the stress load.

That being said I believe I will do these type of bigger rides about every third week just for kicks and keep mentally tuned with sitting on the saddle for 6+ hours with an understanding that the following week will not be L4 days. If I keep my ride less than 300 TSS I do not seem to have an issue with hitting solid L4 intervals Monday through Thursday. The series of indoor L4 intervals seem to be my bread and butter at the moment so I need to keep my training load in a manner so it does not interupt those days.

Regardless of what is said about using TSS, to me it has been a fairly good guide in managing the stress load and laying out a progressive training schedule that fits in with a very tight work and life schedule. At this point of application and results I am convinced and now could not be swayed otherwise.

My current typical schedule

Indeed, TOG is clearly just making this stuff up as he goes. Like a Frank Day, though, he is a useful foil for rehashing nearly decade-old discussions, thus hopefully enlightening those who are newer to training with (not by!) power.
Absolutely
I thought about this last night that TOG, with his trolling, has proved to be beneficial to draw you and others out to post some good information.

Originally Posted by bubsy .

If I'm reading the 3rd paragraph right you say you "can do those intervals for 2-3 hours."

WOW! just Wow!

I bet it's the water from those magical fountains and waterfalls you drink from.

"And this one time..... at band camp"...... "I'll have what she's having"
We all need a little of what OG is having!
I think you misunderstand my position here.

I did a 1 hour ride that had a 120 TSS. While most people would feel that is a hard ride, it was not. At the end of a 1 hour FTP test my heart rate is at its max (184), my breathing is ragged, and it is a struggle to hold my power output. But for this ride my my heart rate never got above 164, my breathing was never difficult, my power at the end was close to my power at the start. In fact, I was able to talk for the entire ride.

I am just asking for an explaination of why that is so.

4c) Since TSS ... can't be said to have been scientifically-tested
So we agree it is not valid science. Promoting a religion as science.You should be ashamed.

Perhaps more the point here, no one - yourself, most notably, included - have ever even proposed any alternative, much less demonstrated that it is better/easier.
If you want an alternative, you need to tell me or, more importantly, others what "better/easier" mean. So far you have talked about religion not science. And dis-proving religious ideas is not worth anyone's time.

It has taken you a decade to admit that TSS is religion not science. I feel sorry for you. A fraud. For so long.

4c) Since TSS, the Performance Manager, etc., can't be said to have been scientifically-tested (only scientifically-inspired), the best evidence to address your questions/concerns comes from empirical observations, in particular what happens to CTL when people markedly change the composition of their training (e.g., shift from almost all level 2/3/4 to entirely level 5/6/7). What typically happens in that situation is that people have to reduce their training load somewhat, perhaps by 10-20%.
You really have a narrow view of the world.

If I desire (when I was young I did desire, but I no longer do) I could ride 7-10 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end. Taking time off for family obligations. Those would have have been L2-L4 rides. At least enough consecutive time in L4 to count as a L4 ride and very little time in L2. Well over 2000 TSS in a week.

I will repeat this quote of yours above:

It looks like your 10-20% training reduction should be in the range of 50-66%.

---

I am sure that we could pay most of the guys on this board to do 300 TSS a day (4 or 5 hours) for as long as our money holds out. $10K/month seems like it would draw interest. For $10K/month I would even do it, but I have no interest in doing it for free.

You're either making all this up or your FTP is incorrect.

Why pay someone? There's are lots of pros and high level amateurs that race events bigger than we'll ever do in training...

You might also forget that trainingpeaks have thousands of cyclists uploading data and that trainingpeaks have probably a fair number of athletes signed up for coaching plans. Combine that with Andy's work in years past and I expect that he has more 'actual' data (with athletes where the FTP is known to be fairly accurately correct) than you or I have access too.

Flecha's Tour performances from last year are up on training peaks. Most days are 260 to 280 TSS. The really hard days (Col d'agnel, Izoard and the Galibier) were in the 370s but they're the exception, not the norm. These guys are the best of the best and we can say with some certainty that they have their FTP set with a fair degree of accuracy. It's also fair to say that three weeks of this load and they're extremely fatigued... and this isn't even a month and they just look forward to the final day in Paris and time off the bike after 3 weeks.

Data is available and it's on the usual "holy f**k" variety... Day in and day out of 260ish TSS , or ~1800 TSS a week theoretically but since there's a couple of rest days and a couple of easy days (easy for guys like Flecha = the time trial days where they don't have to ride on the rivet, unless their team is going for the team classification or he's providing data for the team leader, you could probably knock a couple of hundred TSS 'points' off that. Even on the rivet a Tour TT is gonna be less than 100 TSS as they're rarely over 50km.

But - I know that I couldn't handle that load. Nowhere close... and that's with an FTP set at a level that I can hold in training for ~ 45minutes best effort. I know from prior experience that what I can hold in training for 40 to 50 minutes I can hold in a TT under motivated race conditions for ~1 hour-ish.

I also know that if I start racking up bigger TSS numbers for the week and don't feel suitably fatigued OR my IF creeps up on rides then it's time to test FTP again to ensure that I don't end up getting these fantastic TSS numbers that you're claiming.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/team-sky-races/2011-tour-de-france.aspx

Here's some of Flecha's "numbers"

"Final TT" - 410watts and 4:20 down on Martin.

Juan Antonio Flecha's SRM Data
Total Time = 59:52
TSS =94
KJ=1425
Average Power = 397 Watts. Avg Normalized Power* = 410 watts
Avg HR = 150 bpm
Max HR = 163 bpm
Mean Maximal 1-minute power = 512 w
Max Maximal 5-minute power = 451 w
Mean Maximal 20-minute power = 418 w
Avg Cadence = 89rpm
Avg Speed = 26.3 mph

Juan Antonio Flecha's SRM Data

Total Time = 6:42
TSS = 376
KJ= 6622
Average Power = 274 Watts. Avg Normalized Power* = 314W
Avg HR = 129 bpm
Max HR = 166 bpm
Mean Maximal 1-minute power = 583 w
Max Maximal 5-minute power = 440 w
Mean Maximal 20-minute power = 379 w
Avg Cadence = 77 rpm
Avg Speed = 18.5mph

18.5mph over this profile, with the first peak touching 9,000ft - ouch:

"The day he attacked 15 times"

Total Time = 3:45
TSS = 266
KJ= 4029
Average Power = 297 Watts. Avg Normalized Power* = 353
Avg HR = 135
Max HR = 171
Mean Maximal 1-minute power = 614w
Max Maximal 5-minute power = 469w
Mean Maximal 20-minute power = 397w
Avg Cadence = 87 rpm
Avg Speed = 26.5 mph

You really have a narrow view of the world.

If I desire (when I was young I did desire, but I no longer do) I could ride 7-10 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end. Taking time off for family obligations. Those would have have been L2-L4 rides. At least enough consecutive time in L4 to count as a L4 ride and very little time in L2. Well over 2000 TSS in a week.

I will repeat this quote of yours above:

It looks like your 10-20% training reduction should be in the range of 50-66%.

---

I am sure that we could pay most of the guys on this board to do 300 TSS a day (4 or 5 hours) for as long as our money holds out. $10K/month seems like it would draw interest. For $10K/month I would even do it, but I have no interest in doing it for free.

TSS/the Performance Manager was meant for racing cyclists training (by definition, since level 1 isn't training) at IF of 0.75 or greater, not cyclo-tourists plodding around all day at walking pace.* /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif In that world, it appears that only a handful of individuals have ever cracked 150 TSS/d for a CTL.

*While you may think I'm kidding, it has been estimated that the highest metabolic rate that a factory worker can sustain day-in and day-out for 8 h shifts is <<40% of VO2max (cf. Astrand's classic textbook). Given that functional threshold power is typically ~80% of VO2max, that implies that the highest IF that can be sustained for 7-10 h/d for the 3+ mo requred to achieve a plateau in CTL is only ~0.5.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Flecha's Tour performances from last year are up on training peaks. Most days are 260 to 280 TSS. The really hard days (Col d'agnel, Izoard and the Galibier) were in the 370s but they're the exception, not the norm. These guys are the best of the best and we can say with some certainty that they have their FTP set with a fair degree of accuracy. It's also fair to say that three weeks of this load and they're extremely fatigued... and this isn't even a month
...much less the 3+ months they would have to sustain this extreme load for CTL to "catch up".

(BTW, Frank Overton of www.fascatcoaching.com has also posted a fair bit of data for cyclists competing in one of the Grand Tours, i.e., the demands of such events in terms of my metrics are now quite well-established.)

So we agree it is not valid science.

??

I have never claimed that any of my ideas have been scientifically tested. They are, though, based on my understanding of how the body responds and adapts to exercise, which in turn is the result of 35 y of careful study.

I did a 1 hour ride that had a 120 TSS. While most people would feel that is a hard ride, it was not. At the end of a 1 hour FTP test my heart rate is at its max (184), my breathing is ragged, and it is a struggle to hold my power output. But for this ride my my heart rate never got above 164, my breathing was never difficult, my power at the end was close to my power at the start. In fact, I was able to talk for the entire ride.

Like so many others, you're confusing intensity with the interaction between intensity and duration.

If you want an alternative, you need to tell me or, more importantly, others what "better/easier" mean.

My goal in developing the Performance Manager (which begat TSS, which begat normalized power) was to try to utilize the moment-by-moment data recorded by a powermeter to help manage the training of cyclists. While the approach is imperfect, many people (from beginning cyclists to World Champions) seem to believe that it is quite useful. The challenge for you (or anyone), then, is to 1) come up with a different way of analyzing such data that routinely provides better results (in terms of outcomes, i.e., changes in performance), and/or 2) is easier to apply.* Have at it!

*After all, there are plenty of more complicated approaches out there, including Banister's original impulse-response model, which is implemented in Phil Skiba's RaceDay program...the problem, though, is that such methods are difficult, if not possible, to apply outside of a controlled laboratory setting. (Although Phil would likely never admit this...which is probably why RaceDay doesn't give you the S.E.E. values for the parameter estimates, i.e., if you saw them you'd realize that the solution to the model wasn't precise enough to have any real-world value.)

First up, I love your work you are an insperation so keep it up.

Secondly why only try for 120 TSS for and hour?
If your hr never got above your "164" your "breathing was never difficult" and you were "able to talk for the entire ride" then clearly this is not an equal comparison to an all out 1 hr FTP test,
we need your PE to match that of an FTP test so bump up the power for the 1min on/off to a point where your HR and breathing match that of of a FTP test so maybe 180 -200% for an hour like I do and that should remove the ability to speak or at least for me it does, then we can make a clearer judgement of your "state"

Thirdly everyone here except you knows why this is so!

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"Indeed, TOG is clearly just making this stuff up as he goes. Like a Frank Day, though, he is a useful foil for rehashing nearly decade-old discussions, thus hopefully enlightening those who are newer to training with (not by!) power."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I'm still trying to figure out how to do a 120 TSS ride in 1 hour when the best in the World can only manage a paltry 94 TSS in 59:52. I guess if I set my FTP at 80W and then did an hour at 130, my TSS and IF would work out to be pretty spectacular. Meaningless, but spectacular.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Andy; I'm following this with great anticipation for the next installment. Your patience in explaining this stuff over and over is commendable, and very educational. Almost like attending class.[/COLOR]

Its because your powermeter is as sick of your **** as we are becoming...

;)

... in jest.

Kinda.