Serfas Saddle Just Too Cheap?

kensek

Feb 4, 2008
I am not sure if I have an equipment problem or just pain from the spring time adjustment to riding. I have a Serfas Stinger saddle (here is the link http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=61) It is basically like a Selle Italia SLR. My sit bones are always sore. I haven't been riding a ton this spring but I can hardly sit on the saddle without it hurting. I rode 30 miles on Sunday and 24 miles yesterday and I don't know if I can get back on the bike for a couple of days because of the pain. I have had this saddle for a couple of years, but I always feel that even if I ride consistently my sit bones will always be sore. Should I start looking for a saddle from a more well-known company?

kensek said:
I am not sure if I have an equipment problem or just pain from the spring time adjustment to riding. I have a Serfas Stinger saddle (here is the link http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=61) It is basically like a Selle Italia SLR. My sit bones are always sore. I haven't been riding a ton this spring but I can hardly sit on the saddle without it hurting. I rode 30 miles on Sunday and 24 miles yesterday and I don't know if I can get back on the bike for a couple of days because of the pain. I have had this saddle for a couple of years, but I always feel that even if I ride consistently my sit bones will always be sore. Should I start looking for a saddle from a more well-known company?
Go to your LBS and have them measure your sit bones for fit. They usually do this by having you sit on a foam pad and then measuring the imprint. Once they know how wide your bottom is, they can suggest certain saddles to try. Make sure that they have a return policy in case you get a saddle that is painful to ride on. Most bike shops will give you at least a week to decide if a saddle is the right one for you, and you might have to go through several saddles to find one that you like. FWIW, a saddle from a more well-known company will not necessarily be better for you. The most comfortable saddle that I have ever had is a Nashbar saddle, and I have ridden on Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Vetta, etc. If you are patient, you might try a Brooks leather saddle. They are a little pricey and they take a good riding season to break in, but once broken in, they are ever so comfortable because they comform to your body. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Brooks saddles:p.

I think that saddles are really a personal preference. Personally, I have ridden on a Serfas Arias, Selle Italia San Marco, and Fi'Z:ik Arione. I did not much care for the Selle Italia, but loved the Serfas and I currently ride on my Fi'Z:ik and I swear by it. Each person will have their own tastes and comfort level and what may be a great saddle for one person, may not be for another. In your case, it is perhaps best to get measured at your LBS. You should also consider trying some different models of saddle.

Another suggestion.... you may want to consider your posture and the positioning and placement of the saddle....where your rump sits does have an impact on comfort. Also, don't forget that we all have a coccyx, a tailbone. A bad position could definitely have an impact on your level of comfort. Before you fork out money on another saddle, consider that the saddle may not even be the problem to begin with.

kensek said:

I'd agree with lohsnest that this just goes to show how personal saddles are. I had been riding road bikes for a couple of years before I stumbled on the Serfas Stinger. It is the most comfortable saddle I have ever used and I have them on three of my bikes.

I've come to the conclusion that finding the right saddle is a complete lottery. I've tried at least half a dozen including the big names like San Marco Concor, Selle Italia SLR and the the much-vaunted Selle SMP, but none of them compares for me with the Stinger.

Why in the world would anyone name a saddle Stinger? What next? I propose a few possibilities...

The Bruiser
The @$$ Hatchet
The Saddle Sore

But, other than a bizarre name, saddles are definitely a very personal item as others have so cleasrly pointed out.

lohsnest said:

Another suggestion.... you may want to consider your posture and the positioning and placement of the saddle....where your rump sits does have an impact on comfort. Also, don't forget that we all have a coccyx, a tailbone. A bad position could definitely have an impact on your level of comfort. Before you fork out money on another saddle, consider that the saddle may not even be the problem to begin with.
Agree with this too -- weight distribution between the rump, feet and arms , and how well the bike and adjustments fits you to get good distribution may also be a factor. It's amazing how just a half an inch here and there can make a difference especially if you ride a lot.

Thanks for all of the responses. I know that I should get my sit bones measured. Kind of funny to think about how awkward that could be but I realize the LBS has you sit on something. :) I rode 50 miles this weekend and I really didn't feel much discomfort. I think it was just an adjustment my body had to go through. However, I do think I need to have a store check my seat height and everything. Thanks again.
John