Serial ham

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Curly Sue, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    use

    Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    sandwich
    Day 3: skip a day
    Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.

    My favorite? the ham salad!

    Me luv ham. :)

    Sue(tm)

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:
    > T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)

    Then why not buy a whole ham... what's one measly slice, won't even
    fill a small cavity.

    This week my local stupidmarket has a pretty good deal on ham:
    http://www.pricechopper.com/WeeklyAd/WeeklyAd_Store_S.las?-token.date=2005-12-11&-token.S=98AT9R364821d98P7112ACE5mIpN6L5O67A23B|100130|0512111753|||||

    http://tinyurl.com/7k53a

    Sheldon

  3. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On 11 Dec 2005 14:57:57 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Curly Sue wrote:

    >> My favorite? the ham salad!
    >>
    >> Me luv ham. :)

    >Then why not buy a whole ham... what's one measly slice, won't even
    >fill a small cavity.
    >
    >This week my local stupidmarket has a pretty good deal on ham:
    >http://www.pricechopper.com/WeeklyAd/WeeklyAd_Store_S.las?-token.date=2005-12-11&-token.S=98AT9R364821d98P7112ACE5mIpN6L5O67A23B|100130|0512111753|||||
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/7k53a

    That is a good idea. After the holidays I'll make room in the
    refrigerator and freezer to cut up a ham for meals . Remember, I'm a
    goil and I have a dainty appertite so it takes a while to go through
    one :)

    Sue(tm)

  4. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:36:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    Sue) rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    >use
    >
    >Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    >enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    >Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    >sandwich
    >Day 3: skip a day
    >Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    >My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    >Me luv ham. :)

    And me luv ham salad! Oddly enough, the DH, who is not a particularly
    picky eater, hates ham salad, egg salad, etc., but loves that
    gawdawful deviled ham and deviled roast beef in a can. Go figure.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  5. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:36:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    Sue) wrote:

    > T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)

    Me too! Other ideas for when you have more ham to work with:

    Cubed and fried in bacon grease with cubed, leftover baked potatoes
    and some chopped onions. Salt and pepper as desired.

    Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

    Standard scalloped potatoes and ham

    Ham and cheese omelettes

    Ham is a Good Thing
    Carol
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:36:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    > Sue) wrote:
    >
    >> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    >> use
    >>
    >> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    >> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    >> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    >> sandwich
    >> Day 3: skip a day
    >> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >>
    >> My favorite? the ham salad!
    >>
    >> Me luv ham. :)

    > Me too! Other ideas for when you have more ham to work with:
    >
    > Cubed and fried in bacon grease with cubed, leftover baked potatoes
    > and some chopped onions. Salt and pepper as desired.
    >
    > Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.
    >
    > Standard scalloped potatoes and ham
    >
    > Ham and cheese omelettes
    >
    > Ham is a Good Thing
    > Carol

    Cubed ham in mac & cheese is great, too :)

    Grilled ham & cheese sandwiches

    Thinly sliced ham and swiss cheese on a crusty french roll, run under the
    broiler

    I don't care to just eat slices of ham but I love ham used in other stuff,
    if that makes sense.

    Jill

  7. Curly Sue wrote:
    > T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
    eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
    the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
    of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
    there.

    Michael <- posting from Kris' house via Google

  11. Curly Sue wrote:
    > T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
    eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
    the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
    of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
    there.

    Michael <- posting from Kris' house via Google

  12. "Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    You get all of that from one slice of ham? A whole ham would last your
    lifetime.

    I bought ours today for Christmas dinner. John Morrell E Z Cut was on sale
    for $2.79 so I saved $12.

  13. On 11 Dec 2005 19:38:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Spring for the whole ham. The left overs are wonderful. Steven seldom
    > eats ham when I buy it, but I still buy the whole damned thing. I love
    > the omeletes, mac 'n cheese, casseroles and ham 'n beans I can make out
    > of it. I like picking on it the best. Grabbing a nibble here and
    > there.

    That's how a lot of our ham magically disappears, too.

    Carol, who loves a good, stringy ham
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  14. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:57:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    >> use
    >>
    >> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    >> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    >> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    >> sandwich
    >> Day 3: skip a day
    >> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >>
    >> My favorite? the ham salad!
    >>
    >> Me luv ham. :)
    >>
    >> Sue(tm)
    >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    >You get all of that from one slice of ham? A whole ham would last your
    >lifetime.

    No kidding! It's just me and the slender resident college student.
    We still have leftovers from the quiche and the casserole. Not that
    that's a bad thing. :)

    >I bought ours today for Christmas dinner. John Morrell E Z Cut was on sale
    >for $2.79 so I saved $12.

    I'm looking forward to Mom's Christmas ham.

    Sue(tm)

  15. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
    > use
    >
    > Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
    > enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
    > Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > sandwich
    > Day 3: skip a day
    > Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >
    > My favorite? the ham salad!
    >
    > Me luv ham. :)
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it doesn't
    sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
    What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly questions,
    perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.

    kili

  16. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:36:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    > > Sue) wrote:
    > >

    > I don't care to just eat slices of ham but I love ham used in other stuff,
    > if that makes sense.
    >
    > Jill

    Makes sense to me, Jill. I'm the same way. TFM bought a ham the other day
    and I haven't touched it because it's *just* ham. Give me a sack of
    potatoes, cheese and cream and I'll knock your socks off. I've been making
    him omelettes with the ham, but now we just have.........ham........ and not
    much of it. I'm making split pea soup today, so perhaps I'll add the rest
    to the soup. TFM likes his pea soup pureed (so do I), but he likes lots of
    chunky ham in there, so.....

    kili

  17. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:07:51 GMT, "kilikini"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    >> sandwich
    >> Day 3: skip a day
    >> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    >>
    >> My favorite? the ham salad!
    >>
    >> Me luv ham. :)
    >>
    >> Sue(tm)
    >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    >I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it doesn't
    >sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
    >What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly questions,
    >perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.
    >
    >kili

    And I'm taken aback that someone hasn't heard of ham salad (really, I
    thought it was a standard like egg salad and chicken salad).

    Well, it's similar to egg salad in using chopped/ground ham,
    mayonnaise, and a few other things depending on one's fancy. The one
    I like best is as above, with mayo, relish, and mustard. No cheese
    (ewww ;))

    Like egg or chicken salad, I eat it on any type of bread or roll,
    toasted, not toasted, with lettuce or not, and if there is any left
    over, I have it on crackers. On crackers I have it. That is how I
    eat my ham. I do so like salad of ham. I would eat it in a boat. I
    would eat it with a goat. I would eat it here and there. I would eat
    it anywhere.

    (sorry, I got carried away)

    Sue(tm)

  18. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:36:40 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    >>> Sue) wrote:
    >>>

    >> I don't care to just eat slices of ham but I love ham used in other
    >> stuff, if that makes sense.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Makes sense to me, Jill. I'm the same way. TFM bought a ham the
    > other day and I haven't touched it because it's *just* ham. Give me
    > a sack of potatoes, cheese and cream and I'll knock your socks off.
    > I've been making him omelettes with the ham, but now we just
    > have.........ham........ and not much of it. I'm making split pea
    > soup today, so perhaps I'll add the rest to the soup. TFM likes his
    > pea soup pureed (so do I), but he likes lots of chunky ham in there,
    > so.....
    >
    > kili

    If the ham is pre-cooked, puree the soup then add the ham and heat it all
    up. Simple as... hey, whoever said "simple as pie"? Pie isn't simple
    unless you buy the pre-made crust! ;)

    Jill

  19. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

    Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
    fried rice. Because that's the case.

    I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
    basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
    a rice cooker.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  20. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:07:51 GMT, "kilikini"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
    > >> sandwich
    > >> Day 3: skip a day
    > >> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
    > >>
    > >> My favorite? the ham salad!
    > >>
    > >> Me luv ham. :)
    > >>
    > >> Sue(tm)
    > >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    > >I've never heard of ham salad, seriously! To be honest, though, it

    doesn't
    > >sound all that appealing to me. Do you use any seasonings? Any cheese?
    > >What kind of bread do you put it on, and do you toast it? Silly

    questions,
    > >perhaps, but I'm a newbie to this one.
    > >
    > >kili

    > And I'm taken aback that someone hasn't heard of ham salad (really, I
    > thought it was a standard like egg salad and chicken salad).
    >
    > Well, it's similar to egg salad in using chopped/ground ham,
    > mayonnaise, and a few other things depending on one's fancy. The one
    > I like best is as above, with mayo, relish, and mustard. No cheese
    > (ewww ;))
    >
    > Like egg or chicken salad, I eat it on any type of bread or roll,
    > toasted, not toasted, with lettuce or not, and if there is any left
    > over, I have it on crackers. On crackers I have it. That is how I
    > eat my ham. I do so like salad of ham. I would eat it in a boat. I
    > would eat it with a goat. I would eat it here and there. I would eat
    > it anywhere.
    >
    > (sorry, I got carried away)
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    LOL! I guess I'll have to give it a try, then. (but I'm not eating it with
    a goat)

    kili