Serial ham

news:D[email protected]...
> kilikini wrote:
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>>

> > Makes sense to me, Jill. I'm the same way. TFM bought a ham the
> > other day and I haven't touched it because it's *just* ham. Give me
> > a sack of potatoes, cheese and cream and I'll knock your socks off.
> > I've been making him omelettes with the ham, but now we just
> > have.........ham........ and not much of it. I'm making split pea
> > soup today, so perhaps I'll add the rest to the soup. TFM likes his
> > pea soup pureed (so do I), but he likes lots of chunky ham in there,
> > so.....
> >
> > kili

> If the ham is pre-cooked, puree the soup then add the ham and heat it all
> up. Simple as... hey, whoever said "simple as pie"? Pie isn't simple
> unless you buy the pre-made crust! ;)
>
> Jill

That's exactly what I did! I added the ham last. Soup turned out fairly
well, hubby declared it excellent. :~) LOTS of garlic is the key, I think.

kili

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:58 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ham fried rice. Unbelievably delicious! Recipe available.

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

Long grain is best, Jasmine is fragrant but not necessary. Cook the rice
and then (Damsel will tell you it doesn't need to be chilled for stir fry
and she's right, but in Asian cultures it is day old cold rice)

Toss the meat/seafood and then veggies in a wok or deep stir fry skillet in
oil or fat; and sauces and toss it all together. At this point add the
cooked rice. Toss and cook and add soy sauce, mom used to do what they did
in Thailand and add 2 Tbs. tomato paste and more chicken stock. When it is
all hot, add a couple of scrambled eggs. Toss until the eggs are cooked
then plate the fried rice.

Jill

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Please? Oh, and assume I know *nothing* about making any form of
> fried rice. Because that's the case.
>
> I definitely need to know if I need long-grain rice for that. I
> basically have only Calrose and Jasmine rices on hand. And of course
> a rice cooker.

You can make fried rice with any kind of cooked, cold white rice. In
addition to what other postings have told you, the best advice I can
give is: turn up the heat! Use a heavy pan or wok that will handle
the highest heat you can generate. If your stove can do it you want to
reach heats beyond those that teflon can safely handle. So put your
heavy carbon steel wok or your anodized aluminum or your cast iron pan
on the largest burner on the highest heat. Get all your ingredients
chopped up and ready to go. Break up any clumps in your cold rice (use
your clean hands). The pan is still on the burner getting hotter and
hotter. When it is beginning to scare you, find your peanut oil, or
neutral vegetable oil (not olive). When the pan has begun to smoke,
pour a couple of TB of oil in and swirl it around. Put in your meat
and veggies in order of the time required to cook them, longest first.
Do not overload the pan! That will cause too much cooling, which must
be avoided. If necessary, cook the stuff in portions, removing it as
cooked to a bowl and adding the rest. When all the goodies except the
rice have been cooked, remove everything from the wok/pan. It's still
on high heat, you've never turned it down. Wait for the pan to come
back to its highest heat, add 2 TB more oil, then the rice. Fry it.
Don't steam it, don't "heat" it, this is why you need the heat.

Et cetera. Yes, I'm being tiresome about this point. But if you look
back through the archives of rfc you find post after post from people
saying their fried rice doesn't come out the way they want it to.
People post various flavoring speculations. The answer is HEAT. Can
you produce something edible, adequate, even pretty good without it?
Sure. But it's better this way. Raise your sights, and your heat.
-aem

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:

> T minus 2 days: buy ham slice, keep in refrigerator until ready to
> use
>
> Day 1: Bisquick "quiche" (I've posted the recipe before). Chop
> enough ham in the FP for day 2 as well
> Day 2: Ham salad (chopped ham, mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard)
> sandwich
> Day 3: skip a day
> Day 4: cheese, noodles, and ham casserole.
>
> My favorite? the ham salad!
>
> Me luv ham. :)
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

French proverb: "Eternity is two people and a ham."

sd