Serial Killer

Alex Simmons

Mar 12, 2006
Help - anyone out there got a SERIAL port Powertap link download cradle they don't need and want to off load for a reasonable $? Mine is just givin me the sh!ts. The pins just don't engage properly and download is intermittent to the extent that I can't get today's file out of the PT.:mad:

Alex Simmons said:
Help - anyone out there got a SERIAL port Powertap link download cradle they don't need and want to off load for a reasonable $? Mine is just givin me the sh!ts. The pins just don't engage properly and download is intermittent to the extent that I can't get today's file out of the PT.:mad:

Have you tried the "insert a paper clip from behind to bend the contacts up a bit" trick?

acoggan said:
Have you tried the "insert a paper clip from behind to bend the contacts up a bit" trick?
Thanks, yeah with a jeweller's screwdriver - they just flatten down again. It's a pretty crummy design and it is possible the wires inside are not perfectly attached but the moulded plastic doesn't allow access without destroying it. I think later versions are a little more robust.

Weird thing is, WKO is much more sensitive to it than Powerlink (but I'd much rather download directly into WKO).

If I fail to get WKO to download (it might pick a 50-100 records in fits and spurts before it times out - not the old 255 time out problem) but Powerlink seems to get it all - again in fits and spurts but it gets it all eventually. I figure it's the cradle since it is sensitive to me pushing the CPU around a bit.

Normally they both download straight through no interruptions.

Even if I can fix it, I'd like a spare anyway.