Series of questions involving training in solitude

Ecdycis

May 5, 2009
So I am fairly new to cycling been at it about two summers. I am quitting my job soon do to all the **** I have to put up with and never having time to do anything enjoyable except on Sundays but until then, I was wondering how I can get past the 25 mile marker alone. My riding buddy moved and now I seem to have trouble going further than 25 miles on a ride. I would also like to know how to drink less water on a ride. Currently I use a 3 liter camel back, but I would like to move to bottles. I heard somewhere that certain events don't allow camelbaks.

Thanks for the help
Matt in Lubbock Texas

Also plan to join a club as soon as I have the time then I hoping I can go further again and ride much more frequently.

All you need to do is go out and ride further. Its sounds as if you have set up a barrier like I only ride out to the lake and back. Or some type of limit that mentally you are bound down to. If you can ride 25 you should be able to do 40 or 50 no problem.

Why would want to increase your mileage and reduce your water consumption?

For 25 miles 1 liter of water should be ok in mild climate conditions. Riding alone could be defined as a skill, something that people can learn overtime and then making it a habit,

I generally finish the whole 3 liters at the 30 mile mark but cant go that far anymore. Reason I would like to lower water consumption would be to go further on the amount of water I can cary which of now would be 3 liters plus 48 ounces.

Riding out on the Sacramento delta I can relate to the 90 to 105F heat and the wind but just the idea of drinking 4 liters of fluid on the bike, even in 2 hours makes my bladder hurt. Typically on the 100+F days I drink about 24oz per hour but I make sure that throughout the week when it's that hot I stay hydrated. What you do off the bike will also effect recovery as well as how well you ride.

Don't forget that there's "behind the seatpost" water bottle carriers from companies like Profile Design. I have one on the training bike when training requires one.

The other solution which is good for the weekends - go ride early in the morning. Even if it stays in the 80's during the night, the lack of traffic and 20F less heat is a wonderous thing and the lack of heat is much less taxing on the body and negates the inital tiredness from getting up at 0'dark30 to train at sun-up.

Reactions: Ecdycis
Originally Posted by Ecdycis .

I generally finish the whole 3 liters at the 30 mile mark but cant go that far anymore. Reason I would like to lower water consumption would be to go further on the amount of water I can cary which of now would be 3 liters plus 48 ounces.
you can always refuel with water along the road, like in gas stations or convenience stores or in a park or a small clean river (those are scarce ! ),
you should drink water in sips every 10 minutes for example but don't give that too much thought, just do what feels best to you,
the worst that can happen is that you are going to pee more often,

the contrary is dangerous: dehydrate

I normally consume about two liters on the bike but I fear that when I do manage to go further this will increase quickly

west Texas is a vast waste land on the highway in between towns lol. All you see is cotton fields and dirt for hours

Originally Posted by vspa .

you can always refuel with water along the road, like in gas stations or convenience stores or in a park or a small clean river (those are scarce ! ),
you should drink water in sips every 10 minutes for example but don't give that too much thought, just do what feels best to you,
the worst that can happen is that you are going to pee more often,

the contrary is dangerous: dehydrate

On the contrary, dilutional hyponatremia, seems to kill more athletes than dehydration. It seems that its pretty much every year that we hear of a marathon runner succumbing to this, fueled by the mantra drink more, drink often. I cant remember the last time I heard of an athtlete dying of dehydration...

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2003/writing/over250/over250.explanatory.fifth.html

I used to be the same way, consuming mass amounts of water on my rides... it even got to a point where I too was intimidated of riding much more than the 2 hour mark for fear of becoming dehydrated (I've been dehydrated a few times miles away from civilization... not fun!). One thing that helped me was consuming more water each day over time. At first you'll feel like a water fountain, having to pee every 10-15 minutes, but after a while your body will get used to it. Health experts say what, consume 8-10 glasses of water per day? A while back I atcually kept track of my water/liquid consumption and I was surprised to find that on days I wasn't riding or exercising I barely consumed 5 glasses. Once I started consuming more water throughout the week I noticed that I could last a little longer on the bike before I depleted my water bottles. It makes sense, if you start your ride well hydrated you'll be able to last longer because you won't have to make up for starting the ride dehydrated. Remember, thirst is usually one of the first signs that your body is getting dehydrated, so try to consume water before you get to that point.

I used to be the same way, consuming mass amounts of water on my rides... it even got to a point where I too was intimidated of riding much more than the 2 hour mark for fear of becoming dehydrated (I've been dehydrated a few times miles away from civilization... not fun!). One thing that helped me was consuming more water each day over time. At first you'll feel like a water fountain, having to pee every 10-15 minutes, but after a while your body will get used to it. Health experts say what, consume 8-10 glasses of water per day? A while back I atcually kept track of my water/liquid consumption and I was surprised to find that on days I wasn't riding or exercising I barely consumed 5 glasses. Once I started consuming more water throughout the week I noticed that I could last a little longer on the bike before I depleted my water bottles. It makes sense, if you start your ride well hydrated you'll be able to last longer because you won't have to make up for starting the ride dehydrated. Remember, thirst is usually one of the first signs that your body is getting dehydrated, so try to consume water before you get to that point.