Seriouly considering ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew B, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    A bit strange (for me, anyway). I am currently considering buying a road bike. After moving from BMX
    to Mountain bike, I'm actually considering a specific road bike.

    In the past I have always used my Mountain Bike for everything (touring & commuting etc). The only
    problem now is having just purchased a v.nice Specialized Rockhopper Disc, my old slick shod wheels
    no longer fit ! This coupled with the sight of someone speeding past me as if I was stationary has
    made me think. I really possible to own too many bikes ?

    Tight Lycra isn't compulsory is it ?

    Any recommendations for a budget bike ? (It took me months to save for my last one !)

    Thanks in advance.

    Andrew B

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Andrew B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I really possible to own too many bikes ?

    Only if you've acquired all the bikes out there and need to purloin some of mine to increase
    your count ;-)

    > Tight Lycra isn't compulsory is it ?

    Plenty of baggy lycra out there. Seems particularly to be the standard issue uniform of the
    York Rally

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. >After moving from BMX to Mountain bike, I'm actually considering a specific road bike.

    Oh yes - a proper bike ;-)

    >In the past I have always used my Mountain Bike for everything

    Do you have any .jpgs? I'm sure there must be a specific newsgroup for the sort of thing "You can do
    *that* with a bike???" ;-)

    >I really possible to own too many bikes ?

    One can never have too many bikes. Fact.

    >Tight Lycra isn't compulsory is it ?

    Oh yes. ;-)

    >Any recommendations for a budget bike ?

    What's the financial budget likely to be???

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > >I really possible to own too many bikes ?
    >
    > One can never have too many bikes. Fact.

    You really have to see the size of my flat. OK, seperate entrance is really good, but more than 1
    bike in here ... not a chance ...

    > >Any recommendations for a budget bike ?
    >
    > What's the financial budget likely to be???

    Not sure on prices, as I still ride a MTB with v-brakes. Although I'd budget at least 350ukp, and if
    that seems expensive, borrow a bike and see whether you want it as a hobby. It can become addictive.
    Buying a cheap bike or *frilly* bike is fools gold. You'd hate to know how much I've spent on bikes
    over the past 10 years!

    Nick (it's my birthday today, so play nice please)

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>> I really possible to own too many bikes ?
    >>
    >> One can never have too many bikes. Fact.
    >>

    > You really have to see the size of my flat. OK, seperate entrance is really good, but more than 1
    > bike in here ... not a chance ...

    A true afficianado would let a simple fact like that get in the way ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > >Not sure on prices, as I still ride a MTB with v-brakes. Although I'd
    budget
    > >at least 350ukp, and if that seems expensive, borrow a bike and see
    whether
    > >you want it as a hobby. It can become addictive. Buying a cheap bike or *frilly* bike is fools
    > >gold. You'd hate to know how much I've spent on
    bikes
    > >over the past 10 years!
    > >
    > >Nick (it's my birthday today, so play nice please)
    > >

    > Happy Birthday to you Haaaapppeee Birthday toooo yooooou Haaaapee Birthday dear Niiiiiiiicck
    > Happeeee Birrrrrthaday tooooo yooooooooooou!

    Ditto <singalongahelen>

    > See - that was nice. Now remove the earplugs!
    >
    > Well, we've just spend a tad over your amount on a very light Peugeot
    G400,
    > with Campag Veloce/Mirage mix stuff and Look pedals for son & heir. So
    bargains
    > can be had - as son & heir is teenager and growing like an out of control Leylandii hedge his Dad
    > & I didn't want to spend squillions on a bike for
    him.
    > It's a question of shopping around. You can, for instance, pick up a
    Bianchi
    > Gold Race 600 for under 400 squid too if you shop around. I suggest
    surfing all
    > the cycle shops who have web sites, plus buy the mags such as cycling
    weekly &
    > Cycling+ and looking through the ads for new & secondhand. Plus see if any local clubs have
    > members selling stuff too.
    >
    > Just don't wear b*bshorts ...
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    ...or alternately, do what I did when I got to this stage... Check the local press for folks selling
    off old 'racers'. I got a 25 year old Raleigh Sun Solo for £20 last year and did John O' Groats to
    Lands End on it this year, fully loaded, no service before hand and was advised by the LBS when I
    put it in for TLC afterwards that it'd go forever. Got a full susser for playing on off road,
    marginally more expensive (more on a par with the price of the car!!). But, the £20 spent on the old
    'racer', as far as I'm concerned was one of my life's bargains !! I regularly check our local press
    for bikes (sad, I know, but...) and there are at least half a dozen a week in. Not high fashion and
    nobody will nick 'em but can't be beat for road riding ;-) Of course, if you want to spend lots of
    money needlessly <ducks ;-) >

    Cheers,

    Dave.

    p.s., regards the lycra....it is very, very functional regards comfort / sweat / rain etc and can be
    bought in muted colours. Hi viz jacket is recommended for survival porpoises, but basically,
    wear what you're comfortable in...it'll become lycra eventually ;-)

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ne'er a truer word spoken - Lycra wearing creeps up on you as it is perfectly functional for road
    > cycling.

    Especially if you get it with the integral shoulder straps to hold it up round your waist.

    Whoops ~[ ]~ (Flying paving slab drawing attempt ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > >Not sure on prices, as I still ride a MTB with v-brakes. Although I'd
    budget
    > >at least 350ukp, and if that seems expensive, borrow a bike and see
    whether
    > >you want it as a hobby. It can become addictive. Buying a cheap bike or *frilly* bike is fools
    > >gold. You'd hate to know how much I've spent on
    bikes
    > >over the past 10 years!
    > >
    > >Nick (it's my birthday today, so play nice please)
    > >

    > Happy Birthday to you Haaaapppeee Birthday toooo yooooou Haaaapee Birthday dear Niiiiiiiicck
    > Happeeee Birrrrrthaday tooooo yooooooooooou!
    >
    > See - that was nice. Now remove the earplugs!

    Thanks :) Brought tears to my eyes. Off out for a quick spin now (with my brother .. lol ... he
    hasn't been out in years :) )

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:57:44 +0100, "Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I really possible to own too many bikes ?

    I have come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible to have too many bikes. Ricky from
    AW Cycles is thought to be approaching that limit, having well in excess of a hundred (according to
    latest reports).

    >Tight Lycra isn't compulsory is it ?

    It does make life easier on a real road bike, but it's certainly not compulsory. <whisper>padded
    bibshorts are very comfy though</whisper>.

    >Any recommendations for a budget bike ? (It took me months to save for my last one !)

    I've seen some impressive looking kit in the Claud Butler catalogue at rather attractive prices, but
    the main thing (close to the only thing, really) is that the bike must fit, so it's time to visit
    your LBS and see if they have any of last years colours left in your size and shape.

    Of course, you could shortcut the tortuous route to the perfect blend of speed and comfort abd go
    direct to your friendly bentmonger :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. >I have come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible to have too many bikes. Ricky from
    >AW Cycles is thought to be approaching that limit, having well in excess of a hundred (according to
    >latest reports).

    He's still got a fair way to go to get to a googol then ;-)

    >It does make life easier on a real road bike, but it's certainly not compulsory. <whisper>padded
    >bibshorts are very comfy though</whisper>.

    There is nothing wrong with the hearing of the paving slab fairy. You may think you are safe if you
    whisper, but you are, of course, mistaken. ;-)

    >I've seen some impressive looking kit in the Claud Butler catalogue at rather attractive prices,
    >but the main thing (close to the only thing, really) is that the bike must fit, so it's time to
    >visit your LBS and see if they have any of last years colours left in your size and shape.

    Yes - *definitely* try for size & comfort. *Necessary*

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]t> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:57:44 +0100, "Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I really possible to own too many bikes ?
    >
    > I have come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible to have too many bikes. Ricky from
    > AW Cycles is thought to be approaching that limit, having well in excess of a hundred (according
    > to latest reports).

    <snip> Now perhaps that is too many bikes. I think you have too many bike if you spend more time
    looking after your bikes, or choosing which one to ride than actually riding them.

    How do you pick from that number? Raffle? Ah yellow 23, must be the Giant!

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  12. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    I'm glad to hear things haven't changed at the York rally. When I used the work for Cot**old Camping
    (as it was then) I was a part time member of the roadshow team and got to attend many events.

    At the time I only rode mountains bikes offroad and laughed at the idea of touring. The only thing
    that puzzled me then & now is how someone could turn up in a car wearing "slacks & shirt" only to
    disappear and put on tight lycra and shoes you can't walk in. I could understand the outfit if they
    had cycled, hmmm still don't understand, need to lie down. If only I could sleep.

    Does Tudor (I think) still make clothing ? They always seemed to have a knack of making clothing
    that was neither baggy or tight in a slightly surreal way ! Seemed to be the uniform for anyone at
    the show !

    How does road bike sizing work ? I currently ride a 17" MTB (short legs !) but road bike sizing
    seems to be on a different scale. What would be a good place to start ?

    If I wear my "baggies" on a road bike will receive a riding ban ? Does it count that the inner
    is Lycra ?

    The rest of the clothing is not a problem, I'm the assistant manager in an outdoor shop and have
    access to many warm and wonderful things. Just treated myself to a Berghaus Paclite Jacket, weighs
    almost nothing (270g) and is by far the most breathable jacket I own, and I own more outdoor
    clothing than my wife considers necessary. My only defence, Its part of the job !

    news:[email protected]... Andrew B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I really possible to own too many bikes ?

    Only if you've acquired all the bikes out there and need to purloin some of mine to increase
    your count ;-)

    > Tight Lycra isn't compulsory is it ?

    Plenty of baggy lycra out there. Seems particularly to be the standard issue uniform of the
    York Rally

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:15:21 +0100, "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Is it really possible to own too many bikes ?
    >>
    >> I have come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible to have too many bikes. Ricky
    >> from AW Cycles is thought to be approaching that limit, having well in excess of a hundred
    >> (according to latest reports).
    >
    ><snip> Now perhaps that is too many bikes. I think you have too many bike if you spend more time
    >looking after your bikes, or choosing which one to ride than actually riding them.

    Impossible to have too many. We have similar conversations in rec.kites every now and again. The
    consensus is that the more kites one owns the merrier.

    Of course, kites are a little cheaper than bikes although several of mine are worth - OK, they cost
    - around the £200 mark, £250 in the case of my Illy2K (but that was a freeby).

    BTW, I fly stunt kites and not those ridiculously overpriced power kites. Brain not brawn.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  14. On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:05:08 +0100, contributor Tony Raven had scribed:
    > Plenty of baggy lycra out there. Seems particularly to be the standard issue uniform of the
    > York Rally

    Are you coming? ;-) June 21-22, usual place.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.