Serious Coker Riders I have questions???

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by bugman, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I have the Odyssey A Brake on my Coker. Is it possible to adjust it to
    prevent your thighs from hitting it?

    At what point do you feel comfortable riding. I feel like I am
    precuriously balanced on top and any wrong move that bad boy is flying
    out from under me.

    I read of some of you riding to work, up huge mountains, in and around
    town in traffic. It seems to me one wrong move and that big tire full
    of momentum is flying 30 feet from you, or you come off the front at
    full run with no control. Like to know at what point you gained the
    confidence to commute/tour on these huge beasts. How many miles under
    your belt? Do you ever get as comfortable with your control as on
    something smaller like a 24"?

    I am really interested in your experiences.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  2. muddycycle

    muddycycle Guest

    > ....Like to know at what point you gained the confidence to
    > commute/tour on these huge beasts. How many miles under your belt?....

    muddycycle - Nonchalance

    "What can possiby mystify a madman?"
    Hegira: Greg Bear
    muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

  3. bugman

    bugman Guest

    muddycycle wrote:
    > * 138 *

    Too much info!:eek:

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  4. muddycycle

    muddycycle Guest

    I’ve had my Coker for about a year and a half, I ride it almost every
    day for about 6 to 8 miles with 110 cranks. Last winter while I was
    unemployed I rode the Coker in the hills outside of town for about 3-5
    hours a day. Thinking back to when I first got it I remember the feeling
    you describe and marvel at how much progress I have made. Keep at it, it
    will get easier or at least you will feel more at home after a feel
    miles under your belt.

    --
    muddycycle - Nonchalance

    "What can possiby mystify a madman?"
    Hegira: Greg Bear
    muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

  5. jl0r

    jl0r Guest

    I guess I probably had a couple of hundred miles in on the Coker before
    I was comfortable enough to ride into work. At first it was definitely
    an effort just to stay up, as that got easier the effort went into
    keeping up the pace.

    As for the A-brake, I havn't had any problems with it hitting my legs.
    There is a little trick to getting the very end of the wire wrapped back
    under the spring that the A-brake uses to function. I'll try to attach a
    picture of my brake.

    And, no I don't think I'll ever be able to control the Coker quite the
    same as my 20" unicycle. Even the really serious guys don't idle on a
    Coker the same way as it's done on a smaller uni. I've seen them get
    similiar results, but it's done differently.

    | Attachment filename: abrake.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/227680|

    jl0r - TCUC Unicyclist
    jl0r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4497

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    For a while after I got my Coker I wasn't very well balanced on it. I'd
    be riding along and then suddenly need to apply backpressure to the
    pedals to regain balance. Then I'd continue on again and then suddenly
    need to apply backpressure to the pedals to regain balance. It was
    constantly like that and would happen at random times.

    It wasn't just my Coker riding that suffered from that. My regular uni
    riding and my muni riding also suffered from that lack of balance and
    control, but the Coker accentuated it.

    Then I started practicing freestyle skills and my balance improved. I
    practiced one foot riding (with either foot), backwards, wheel walking,
    spins, and basic freestyle stuff in the level 1-5 range. My balance and
    pedaling improved for all the different types of unicycling that I did.
    But most noticeably my Coker riding improved dramatically. My pedaling
    on the Coker got much more smooth. I no longer had those sudden out of
    balance moments that required backpressure on the pedals to regain
    balance. I was riding in the balance zone all the time.

    I don't think that just regular riding around does a lot to improve your
    balance and pedaling. I had been just riding around for 15 years or so
    and was still having those out of balance moments. It wasn't until I
    started working on freestyle skills that forced me to have good balance
    and smooth pedaling that I improved and made it over that hump. When I
    was just riding around for fun it was too easy to be sloppy and I was
    never forced to improve my balance and riding.

    So work your way up to level 5 and level 6 freestyle skills. Your Coker
    riding will improve. :)

    Of course that doesn't explain how people who do not do freestyle, like
    Lars Clausen, are so good on the Coker. There may be a slight flaw in
    my theory. :confused:

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Never a boring time with Uni. Always something new to learn. I
    defenitely know what you mean about seemingly unrelated skills being
    improved by working on a new skill. That makes sense to me.

    Some good input so far. Still curious about the brake. Do I just have
    unusually close thighs? Or have others had this issue? I might mention
    that occasionally I would rub the crown w/o the brake. That didn't
    really bother me since the surface is smooth.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  8. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    bugman wrote:
    > *Still curious about the brake. Do I just have unusually close
    > thighs? Or have others had this issue? I might mention that
    > occasionally I would rub the crown w/o the brake. *

    I've been having this problem (rubbing the crown, not the brake) with my
    new 36 frame which has a flat crown. I didn't really notice it on my
    original Coker with its sloped crown. Haven't figured out what to do
    about it yet.

    The condition John Childs describes in his first paragraph I also had,
    and to a certain extent still have. I don't practice freestyle, so
    perhaps I'll be a good "control group". I'll just keep adding the coker
    miles, and see if I ever get any better.

    To the mileage question, I'm probably at close to 500 total on the 36"
    wheel. I would say only for the last 200 have I started to really feel
    comfortable. Even though I did some 20 mile plus rides during the first
    couple hundred, I always felt about one good sneeze away from a complete
    train wreck. Not feeling that way so much any more, but I still pay
    MUCH more attention to my riding on the big wheel. There is no autopilot
    for me yet.

    I'll try to find a thread from Milefule which discussed the ways in
    which the Coker will always keep you humble, regardless of miles. Or
    maybe Mike will see this and do it for me....it was a classic bit of
    prose.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  9. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *Of course that doesn't explain how people who do not do freestyle,
    > like Lars Clausen, are so good on the Coker. There may be a slight
    > flaw in my theory. :confused: *

    I can do three freestyle skills (side mount, spin and pirouette) all
    rather badly and am definately not a freestyle rider. But I do have a
    good pedalling style.

    I think I learn't spinning the coker by riding it loads. I had an
    alright spin on a bike beforehand, I've ridden road bikes as transport
    since I was about 7 or so. I also did lots of flowing muni, which helps
    as riding smoothly is very important for riding trails, it really helps
    you hit drops and roots right. I think I was also helped by having
    commuted to work on my 24 for a bit and having tried to ride that faster
    and faster, which requires you to improve your spin.

    I think the key thing is to do something that forces you to ride
    smoothly or fall off, which both muni and freestyle do. I don't think
    most trials really does, except riding rails and on a small wheel just
    riding around you can get away with riding really jerkily without many
    problems.

    As for when it becomes controllable, I reckon about 500 miles is where
    you really start riding the coker rather than it riding you. Whilst
    it'll never control quite the same as a 24, you can get it to the point
    where you can idle, ride forwards + backwards, stop almost instantly, do
    tight 180 degree turns etc. It takes a bit more effort to do these
    things, but you can do them almost as quickly.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  10. I have an idea. Or rather, Gus has an idea. The problem could be in
    the spacer setup you have for the brake pads. The brake pads have two
    spacers, one thin and one think on each side, and stock they have the
    thicker spacers on the inside (the rim side). this causes the brake
    arms to stick out a bit farther than disired. Try switching so that the
    thin spacers are on the inside (the brake pad side) and the thick
    spacers are on the outside (the nut side). This should help move the
    arms in a bit, reducing the knee hitting problem.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

  11. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Max_Dingemans wrote:
    > *I have an idea. Or rather, Gus has an idea. The problem could be in
    > the spacer setup you have for the brake pads. The brake pads have two
    > spacers, one thin and one think on each side, and stock they have the
    > thicker spacers on the inside (the rim side). this causes the brake
    > arms to stick out a bit farther than disired. Try switching so that
    > the thin spacers are on the inside (the brake pad side) and the thick
    > spacers are on the outside (the nut side). This should help move the
    > arms in a bit, reducing the knee hitting problem. *

    Max, THanks for the heads up, unfortunately I have already done that. I
    am begining to think the problen is the brake adaptor. The posts that
    the brake arms slide on are closer in than if the posts were mounted on
    the frame. I am not sure but if the bottom of the arm was further out
    would the top come in more?

    Another thought is to move the seat forward. I was talking to Reid and
    he mentioned that some people have their seat further forward and that
    might help.

    Here is a couple of pictures I found out on the web. I can take one of
    my Coker later and maybe someone will see something that will
    help.[image: http://www.bentechbikes.com/p000565.jpg]
    [image: http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/brakes/cheesemt.gif]

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  12. Dan

    Dan Guest

    ok, as long as you're all answering questions about the Coker, I have a
    few. I have been thinking about getting one for awhile now, but have never
    seen or tried a real one (just online). Anyone know if anyplace in
    Baltimore or DC sells them and has one in the store? I have not yet found
    anyplace. I see that a brake is an option. I have never thought of putting
    a break on a unicycle. So just exactly how does the brake work? I get it,
    its like a bicycle brake, sort of. But since its clamped to the seat
    tube/post wouldn't using it just tend to tip the rider forward?

    thanks,
    dan

    dan six [at] po box [dot] com

  13. shadowuni

    shadowuni Guest

    hey i ride my coker all the time. i am sometimes more comfortable on the
    coker BECAUSE of its big momentum! it is very maneuverable and i like
    the way it rides. i can ride backwards, and even idle mine, so i guess
    you can say its just a larger wheel.

    --
    shadowuni - Level 6.5 Unicyclist

    "No one is taller than the last man standing"
    "unless I'm catastrophically off-balance, in which I'll have to hop to
    stay up." - gerblefranklin
    "I like learning new mounts, they hide the fact that you previously just
    screwed up when you were showing off" - Special_liz
    shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

  14. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > *ok, as long as you're all answering questions about the Coker, I have
    > few. I have been thinking about getting one for awhile now, but have
    > never
    > seen or tried a real one (just online). Anyone know if anyplace in
    > Baltimore or DC sells them and has one in the store? I have not yet
    > found
    > anyplace. I see that a brake is an option. I have never thought of
    > putting
    > a break on a unicycle. So just exactly how does the brake work? I get
    > it,
    > its like a bicycle brake, sort of. But since its clamped to the seat
    > tube/post wouldn't using it just tend to tip the rider forward?
    >
    > thanks,
    > dan
    >
    > dan six [at] po box [dot] com
    > *

    Use it gingerly on downhills and it should save your legs for the
    uphills. When I say gingerly I mean like a feather rubbing your rim.
    It is extremely important to continue pedaling even while breaking.:D
    Kind of hard to get used to if you ride a bike much. The first (many,
    many) time I used it I came off on a down hill. Keep in mind I have
    used a break on my muni many times as well. If the wheel is out of true
    it makes for an interesting ride as well.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  15. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Here are a few crappy shots.[image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/album234/Picture179_06Aug04.sized.jpg]

    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/album234/Picture183_06Aug04.sized.jpg]

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  16. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > *ok, as long as you're all answering questions about the Coker.
    > Anyone know if anyplace in Baltimore or DC sells them and has one in
    > the store? *

    Many LBS will stock one model of cheepo unicycle just in case some
    customer decides they want to give it a try or buy one for their kid.
    You will almost never find an LBS that caters to more advanced riders,
    and I can't imagine a bike shop stocking a Coker. There just isn't the
    demand, and it's not something that would make sense for a beginner to
    buy.

    Best bet to get into a coker cheap is to watch these fora for postings
    of a sale, or else try the rebuilt ones at unicycle.com.