serious knee locking problem

Jim

Guest
Hi,

A friend of mine has a serious problem and will undergo scope surgery in about a week for a
'locked' knee.

I think he has a meniscal tear of some kind on the medial side, and while squatting his knee locked
at 90 degrees bend.

Its swollen up and he can't straighten it out. The doctor gave him no advice at all ... has anyone
heard of this happening (i.e. permanent lock?). I've heard of it before ... but usually the knee
unlocks eventually.

He's able to get it to about 80 degrees now i think .. but thats not much improvment. who knows if
he's just tearing it up and its moving more?

Any advice on what he should do until the surgery.. the orthopedic surgeons here aren't available to
speak with ... there just to busy and he has to wait!
:(

Thanks.

Been there. Done that. What has happened is the torn cartilage has gotten wedged between the femur
and the tibia. I used to be able to "pop" mine out by sitting on the floor and pressing my knee flat
and hard out into hyperextension, but the pain was...considerable. Finally, it just wouldn't pop out
anymore - I guess the tear kept increasing so there was just too much cartilage stuck in there. I
had to wait over a week to have mine done. Eventually I could even bear weight on it, but that can't
have helped matters. I would just stay the hell off it until the surgery. Oh, and if it does "pop"
out, get the surgery anyway. Trust me. It's a major pain in the ass to live with!

Mike Lazenby

It's only a serious problem to your friend. The rest of us think it's a real hoot.

Jim, that wish of yours would concern me, were it not for the fact that God is a figment of your
imagination.

Jim wrote:

> Any advice on what he should do until the surgery.. the orthopedic surgeons here aren't available
> to speak with ... there just to busy and he has to wait!

Pardon my french, but the doctor sure sounds like a schmuck. NO doctor is "too busy" to take a call
or concern from a suffering patient. A knee locked in place is urgent and important enough to
warrant reply. Either your friend isn't trying hard enough to get through to the doc, or else the
doc is an ***hole, and your friend should look for another. -- Josh Steinberg MD, Syracuse

[email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim, that wish of yours would concern me, were it not for the fact that God is a figment of your
> imagination.

your future? I forsee suicide, it's in everyones best interest. God might forgive you.

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:

> Jim, that wish of yours would concern me, were it not for the fact that God is a figment of your
> imagination.

No matter. What goes around, comes around.

Scott