Serious question: Children running marathons.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Itchy Sanchez, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Hello group, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have been running marathons every other
    year 7 years. In my most recent marathon I had my 7 year old daughter run with me. It was difficult
    for her to train, but did well finishing in 6 hours and 29 minutes. I ran it in 3 hours and 17
    minutes. My wife ran it in 4 hours and 6 minutes. Now my daughter is 8 and I expect her to be able
    to at least compete with my time. We plan on running another marathon in March so we have plenty of
    time to train. Right now we are consitantly running between 12 and 20 miles a week. There is only
    one problem. She hates to run. I have tried everything from buying her presents, to supporting her,
    to scolding and punishing her when she does not run. Can anyone recommend any literature or training
    methods to inspire her to run and run faster then before. I may be pushing too hard. I want her to
    enjoy the sport as much as I have and she will. Does anyone in the Portland Oregon area have a son
    or daughter close in age to my daughter that would like to be a training partner for her? I think
    that would help also. I think she needs to be challanged.

    Thanks Manuel

    Tags:

  2. Buttpumper

    Buttpumper Guest

    Slide a banana up her butt, that should help.

    On 24 Nov 2003 08:20:44 -0800, [email protected] (Itchy Sanchez) wrote:

    >Hello group, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have been running marathons every other
    >year 7 years. In my most recent marathon I had my 7 year old daughter run with me. It was difficult
    >for her to train, but did well finishing in 6 hours and 29 minutes. I ran it in 3 hours and 17
    >minutes. My wife ran it in 4 hours and 6 minutes. Now my daughter is 8 and I expect her to be able
    >to at least compete with my time. We plan on running another marathon in March so we have plenty of
    >time to train. Right now we are consitantly running between 12 and 20 miles a week. There is only
    >one problem. She hates to run. I have tried everything from buying her presents, to supporting her,
    >to scolding and punishing her when she does not run. Can anyone recommend any literature or
    >training methods to inspire her to run and run faster then before. I may be pushing too hard. I
    >want her to enjoy the sport as much as I have and she will. Does anyone in the Portland Oregon area
    >have a son or daughter close in age to my daughter that would like to be a training partner for
    >her? I think that would help also. I think she needs to be challanged.
    >
    >Thanks Manuel

  3. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    troll

    news:[email protected]...

  4. In article <[email protected]_s02>, Itchy wrote:
    > her? I think that would help also. I think she needs to be challanged.

    If intelligence has a genetic component, I think any of Itchy's kids would count as "challenged".

    Cheers,

  5. Got The Runs

    Got The Runs Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:39:24 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If intelligence has a genetic component, I think any of Itchy's kids would count as "challenged".

    You *want him* don't you Dummyvin?