Serious question - Dawes Frames determining their age

vernon levy

Guest
Apparently the Dawes Galaxy and Super Galaxy frames are identical. That
being the case, the two frames that I have are different in that the top
tube on one has an internal cable run. Both have vertical drop outs.
Clearly contruction is different but at what stage was the internal cable
run introduced?

Is there any way I can determine the age or age range of a Galaxy frame?

Thanks

Vernon

"vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Apparently the Dawes Galaxy and Super Galaxy frames are identical. That
> being the case, the two frames that I have are different in that the top
> tube on one has an internal cable run. Both have vertical drop outs.
> Clearly contruction is different but at what stage was the internal cable
> run introduced?
>
> Is there any way I can determine the age or age range of a Galaxy frame?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vernon

I have/have had about 5 Dawes Galaxies (frames and complete bikes) and have
tried to date them ... enquiring of Dawes (a tortuous process) revealed that
they say they have no records of frame numbers, dates of manufacture etc.

The best answers I got were from a very traditional LBS (you know the sort,
old boy in a brown coat) who remembered the paint colours from different
eras ... and cross-referenced that thinking with the sort of time when major
component evolution changes were made e.g to canti brakes or from 27 to 700
wheels.

Not a lot of help I'm afraid and frustrating .... when, for example, the old
F-frame Moulton can be dated down to the week of the year built by a simple
code in the frame number.

Rob

vernon levy wrote:
> Apparently the Dawes Galaxy and Super Galaxy frames are identical. That
> being the case, the two frames that I have are different in that the top
> tube on one has an internal cable run. Both have vertical drop outs.
> Clearly contruction is different but at what stage was the internal cable
> run introduced?
>
> Is there any way I can determine the age or age range of a Galaxy frame?

Colour may help.

Not definitive, but Galaxies have changed from blue to green to purple
(I think) and now I've lost it...

Green was about 1994 as I couldn't afford one and bought a silver grey
horizon instead :)

regards,
d.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there any way I can determine the age or age range of a Galaxy frame?

My 1992 Dawes Galaxy had an external cable run. The frame broke, and
was replaced under guarantee in 1994 with a then-current-model frame,
which had an internal cable run. So change-over to internal seems to
have happened for the '93 or '94 model. Of course, it might have
changed back-and-forth a number of times.

94 was still a green frame. I've a vague recollection it turned black
a few years later but might be very wrong. I think you'd need to
embark on similar detective work with old catalogues and the like
comparing placement of transfers and style of lettering and so on.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

My Super Galaxy is '93 (I think). Purple with internal cable run,
cantilever brakes. Hydraulic brakes were an option. I think collecting
old catalogues is the best suggestion. It's disappointing to say the
least when a manufacturer apparently has no interest in the history of
its own product.

--
Dave...