serious seat problem

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by den911, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:00:19 +0950, den911 did issue forth:

    > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as
    > been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense
    > tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right
    > direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads
    > of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

    Good saddles are always worthwhile. What makes a good saddle is entirely subjective however.
    Something that I can see almost without fear of

    If you can find a really good bike shop, they might let you try different saddles, although I've yet
    to find a shop that does this myself, but I've heard them spoken about in hushed tones.

    Just remember that because it's big and spongy with springs under it and a gel insert, it's not
    necessarily the right saddle for you.

    Huw "Your posterior is unique" Pritchard

  3. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Huw Pritchard wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:00:19 +0950, den911 did issue forth:
    >
    > > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it
    > > as been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common
    > > sense tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in
    > > right direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem
    > > with loads of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks
    >
    > Good saddles are always worthwhile. What makes a good saddle is entirely subjective however.
    > Something that I can see almost without fear of

    Can you use the one on the bike you had before? If so, that might be a good start.

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  4. Ningi

    Ningi Guest

    den911 wrote:
    > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as
    > been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense
    > tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right
    > direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads
    > of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

    Brooks B17 worked for me on my Trek 6500. Was more comfortable than the previous saddle from day 1,
    and after 500 miles was not a problem on long rides.

    Pete

  5. Hywel & Ros

    Hywel & Ros Guest

    "den911" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as
    > been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense
    > tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right
    > direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads
    > of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

    About 20 years ago when I'd just bought my new (still current) bike, I was in absolute agony after
    my first long ride (say 30 miles with 15 to go). Someone said "no problem - buy a Brooks leather
    saddle". I still have it.

    I don't do a lot of cycling compared to most of this NG, so this may not still be the best advice,
    but many new high-end touring bikes still come with brooks' saddles.

    Hywel Hywel

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:59:12 +0100, "Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >buy a Brooks leather saddle [...] this may not still be the best advice

    On the other hand it might be :)

    A good quality leather saddle is almost always a better bet than most alternatives for a bike used
    mainly on road. The Brooks and the Selle San Marco Rolls are the bum-perches of choice for many an
    audax rider.

    Guy
    ===