serious seat problem

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by den911, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. den911

den911 New Member

i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

Tags:

2. On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:00:19 +0950, den911 did issue forth:

> i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as
    > been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense
    > tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right
    > direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads
    > of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks

Good saddles are always worthwhile. What makes a good saddle is entirely subjective however.
    Something that I can see almost without fear of

If you can find a really good bike shop, they might let you try different saddles, although I've yet
    to find a shop that does this myself, but I've heard them spoken about in hushed tones.

Just remember that because it's big and spongy with springs under it and a gel insert, it's not
    necessarily the right saddle for you.

Huw "Your posterior is unique" Pritchard

3. Daniel Auger

Daniel Auger Guest

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Huw Pritchard wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:00:19 +0950, den911 did issue forth:
    >
    > > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it
    > > as been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common
    > > sense tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in
    > > right direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem
    > > with loads of saddles on market , the question is wich one . thanks
    >
    > Good saddles are always worthwhile. What makes a good saddle is entirely subjective however.
    > Something that I can see almost without fear of

Can you use the one on the bike you had before? If so, that might be a good start.

--
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

4. Ningi

Ningi Guest

den911 wrote:
    > i have a trek 7200 fx hybrid , i have ben riding the bike for 3 months now , wiyh apox 20 miles
    > per night {previous bike dawes } i put the usual numbness and saddle sore down to new bike . it as
    > been 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable on last 5 miles or so on way home , common sense
    > tells me to upgrade saddle , iwas hopeing somebody as had same problem and point me in right
    > direction . i use top cycling shorts with good padding cost of saddle is not a problem with loads
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >>--------------------------<
    >
    > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Brooks B17 worked for me on my Trek 6500. Was more comfortable than the previous saddle from day 1,
    and after 500 miles was not a problem on long rides.

Pete

5. Hywel & Ros

Hywel & Ros Guest

"den911" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

About 20 years ago when I'd just bought my new (still current) bike, I was in absolute agony after
    my first long ride (say 30 miles with 15 to go). Someone said "no problem - buy a Brooks leather
    saddle". I still have it.

I don't do a lot of cycling compared to most of this NG, so this may not still be the best advice,
    but many new high-end touring bikes still come with brooks' saddles.

Hywel Hywel

6. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:59:12 +0100, "Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote:

>buy a Brooks leather saddle [...] this may not still be the best advice

On the other hand it might be :)

A good quality leather saddle is almost always a better bet than most alternatives for a bike used
    mainly on road. The Brooks and the Selle San Marco Rolls are the bum-perches of choice for many an
    audax rider.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.