Seriously bright for something so seriously small

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Out here in deepest rural Norfik, where the offspring time trials, in the
    local rules & regs for open TTs, the use of a rear red light is recommended.
    I'd say most of the TT-ers locally use a rear light, in many, varied &
    ingenious fittings to minimise loss of aerodynamics. Nathan's Cervelo
    Soloist has an aero seatpost so a bog-standard seatpost clamp fitting
    doesn't work. Fitting a light to the rear stay doesn't meet the requirements
    either as it sticks out from the side of the bike a bit. But I've solved the
    problem. I've used one of these:-

    <http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Electron&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Lights%20-%20Rear&ProdID=5360020255&UberCat=0>

    The niche in rear of the light means it sits snugly and remains at the right
    angle on the aero seatpost and by means of a ponytail band looped round the
    fitting, it's got sufficient length of fitting to loop round the aero
    seatpost. A bit of insulation tape over the band keeps it securely in one
    spot on the seat post, so if the lakky band snaps, it isn't going to fall
    orf.

    The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I mean
    *incredibly* bright.

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > <http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Electron&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Lights%20-%20Rear&ProdID=5360020255&UberCat=0>
    >

    > The niche in rear of the light means it sits snugly and remains at the
    > right angle on the aero seatpost and by means of a ponytail band looped
    > round the fitting, it's got sufficient length of fitting to loop round the
    > aero seatpost. A bit of insulation tape over the band keeps it securely in
    > one spot on the seat post, so if the lakky band snaps, it isn't going to
    > fall orf.

    I had the same problem with my front light - the handlebars on both of my
    road bikes are far too thick in diameter for standard front led brackets, so
    this Cateye lamp with the rubber strap is ideal.

    BTW, my daughters used to call ponytail bands "bobbles" :)

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...me=Lights - Front&ProdID=5360009453&UberCat=0

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>typed

    > The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I mean
    > *incredibly* bright.

    > Cheers, helen s

    I bought a white and a red one of these for £5 each from Barnet Cyclists
    (who had obtained them from an LBS)

    They had Raleigh packaging and specified that they were to be used 'in
    addition to BS lights'.

    They each run on two 3v flat button cells, which I think woll be very
    costly to replace.

    They're fine for my wheelchair though...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > I had the same problem with my front light - the handlebars on both of my
    > road bikes are far too thick in diameter for standard front led brackets,
    > so this Cateye lamp with the rubber strap is ideal.
    >
    > BTW, my daughters used to call ponytail bands "bobbles" :)

    Ah yes, 'bobbles' The ones I think are the originals, arrived in the early
    1970s... and were called bobbles becasue the band had two 'bobbles' on it
    which clicked around each other to hold the band in place around the
    ponytail or bunches. They are back in the shops again... see

    http://www.timetoindulge.co.uk/itemimages/ha782.jpg

    When I was at school we were allowed to wear them as long as they were
    school colours. So I had maroon ones and navy blue ones :)

    Cheers, helen s

  5. > The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I
    > mean *incredibly* bright.

    Superb.

    So small that when you go here..

    <http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/4425>

    ...and click on 'enlarge image' it gets even smaller!

    Is it comparable to a normal led rear light for general visibility (rather
    than just brightness)? Would you be happy using it on its own in general
    use? Oh, and where are the other three leds hidden? I can only see three
    on all the pictures.

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I
    >> mean *incredibly* bright.

    > Superb.
    >
    > So small that when you go here..
    >
    > <http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/4425>
    >
    > ..and click on 'enlarge image' it gets even smaller!

    LOL!

    > Is it comparable to a normal led rear light for general visibility (rather
    > than just brightness)? Would you be happy using it on its own in general
    > use? Oh, and where are the other three leds hidden? I can only see three
    > on all the pictures.

    It's a seriously good rear light. In the pitch black of the garage, it
    lights up a goodly distance around it and it is visible from a wide range of
    directions. I have no qualms about the offspring using it as a solo rear
    light - it is that bright - fully compatible with my 'low-flying UFO' mode
    of night cycling. The LEDs are spaced aound the edge, and as the casing is
    transparent, when it's on, it is visible from all sorts of angles as the
    LEDs effectively light up the entire housing.

    Cheers, helen s

  7. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Out here in deepest rural Norfik, where the offspring time trials, in
    > the local rules & regs for open TTs, the use of a rear red light is
    > recommended. I'd say most of the TT-ers locally use a rear light, in
    > many, varied & ingenious fittings to minimise loss of aerodynamics.
    > Nathan's Cervelo Soloist has an aero seatpost so a bog-standard seatpost
    > clamp fitting doesn't work. Fitting a light to the rear stay doesn't
    > meet the requirements either as it sticks out from the side of the bike
    > a bit. But I've solved the problem. I've used one of these:-
    >
    > <http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Electron&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Lights%20-%20Rear&ProdID=5360020255&UberCat=0>
    >

    > The niche in rear of the light means it sits snugly and remains at the
    > right angle on the aero seatpost and by means of a ponytail band looped
    > round the fitting, it's got sufficient length of fitting to loop round
    > the aero seatpost. A bit of insulation tape over the band keeps it
    > securely in one spot on the seat post, so if the lakky band snaps, it
    > isn't going to fall orf.
    >
    > The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I
    > mean *incredibly* bright.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    had one of the single LED versions hanging from the flag on the Trice,
    they are very bright, and effective back-up lights. Fine for TTs, but
    wouldn't want to rely on one as a sole light at night ( unless emergency)

    --
    "You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > had one of the single LED versions hanging from the flag on the Trice,
    > they are very bright, and effective back-up lights. Fine for TTs, but
    > wouldn't want to rely on one as a sole light at night ( unless emergency)

    The one I've put on Nathan's Cervelo has 6 LEDs in it. It really is very
    bright.

    Cheers, helen s

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    <http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufact
    urer=Electron&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Lights%20-%20Rear&ProdID
    =5360020255&UberCat=0>

    I'd be tempted to get one if it wasn't for the fact it takes coin cells,
    which work out expensive in the long run (even if buying in bulk off eBay,
    I bet). Instead I'm gonna have a go at making my own rear LED lights.
    Ironically though, I've spent more on bits and pieces for them than I
    would ever spend on batteries. They better be absurdly bright! :-D

    ~PB

  10. Ib

    Ib Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > I'd be tempted to get one if it wasn't for the fact it takes coin cells,
    > which work out expensive in the long run (even if buying in bulk off eBay,
    > I bet).

    Had to put together some pricing for a product powered by 2032 batteries
    a few months back. They are absurdly cheap in 100K quantities...

    > Instead I'm gonna have a go at making my own rear LED lights.
    > Ironically though, I've spent more on bits and pieces for them than I
    > would ever spend on batteries. They better be absurdly bright! :-D

    Let us know what you come up with. I was toying with the idea at:
    http://www.ajjrice.plus.com/reviews/smart nova.htm
    but starting from scratch might be fun.

    Ib.

  11. Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:

    > They each run on two 3v flat button cells, which I think woll be very
    > costly to replace.

    The best price I've seen CR2032 button cells at, excluding mail order
    or "buy ten at once" deals, is £2.50 for two at Decathlon.

    Just don't ever go to a jewellers for them ...

    -dan

  12. Daniel Barlow wrote:
    > Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> They each run on two 3v flat button cells, which I think woll be very
    >> costly to replace.

    > The best price I've seen CR2032 button cells at, excluding mail order
    > or "buy ten at once" deals, is £2.50 for two at Decathlon.
    >
    > Just don't ever go to a jewellers for them ...

    49p each at my Tescos. Also CR2016s.

    --
    Ambrose

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Daniel Barlow wrote:
    > Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> They each run on two 3v flat button cells, which I think woll be very
    >> costly to replace.

    > The best price I've seen CR2032 button cells at, excluding mail order
    > or "buy ten at once" deals, is £2.50 for two at Decathlon.

    £1.49 inc post for *five* off eBay! But how long can two coin cells last
    in a seriously bright light?

    ~PB

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ib wrote:

    >> Instead I'm gonna have a go at making my own rear LED lights.
    >> Ironically though, I've spent more on bits and pieces for them than I
    >> would ever spend on batteries. They better be absurdly bright! :-D

    > Let us know what you come up with. I was toying with the idea at:
    > http://www.ajjrice.plus.com/reviews/smart nova.htm
    > but starting from scratch might be fun.

    This is just going to be a simple *rear* light (or several). Very
    'humble. To start off with, probably just bare LEDs on a bit of stiff
    wire with no case, no reflector, no cover, no fancy electronics. I'll
    also try embedding some LEDs in a gel strip thing to make it glow red.

    Just experimentation really, partly prompted by my difficulty in finding
    good rear lights with brackets that I would like. Instead I'll have no
    bracket at all and tie wrap to rack or embed in saddle/pannier bags.

    Weatherproofing and reinforcement should be provided by epoxy resin,
    heat-shrink sleeving and rubber tape. Maybe I'll try gluing several LEDs
    together in a big blob of clear epoxy. As you can see, making it up as I
    go along is definitely my style... hence buying a pack of one hundred
    LEDs!

    ~PB

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Out here in deepest rural Norfik, where the offspring time trials, in
    > the local rules & regs for open TTs, the use of a rear red light is
    > recommended. I'd say most of the TT-ers locally use a rear light, in
    > many, varied & ingenious fittings to minimise loss of aerodynamics.
    > Nathan's Cervelo Soloist has an aero seatpost so a bog-standard
    > seatpost clamp fitting doesn't work. Fitting a light to the rear stay
    > doesn't meet the requirements either as it sticks out from the side
    > of the bike a bit. But I've solved the problem. I've used one of
    > these:-
    >
    > <http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Electron&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Lights%20-%20Rear&ProdID=5360020255&UberCat=0>
    >
    > The thing is *tiny* so it's unobtrusive and it's incredibly bright. I
    > mean *incredibly* bright.

    Just back from skiing near Vancouver and dropped into my favourite
    Mountain Equipment Coop (http://www.mec.ca) there where they sell them
    for C$3.0 or about £1.50 each compared to £9.95 from Wiggle. So I got a
    handful but also seriously impressed with
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...me=Lights - Front&ProdID=5360022781&UberCat=0
    which I picked up a couple of for £8 ea (£19.99 from Wiggle). They are
    as bright as my 10W halogens from the quick test I did last night with
    them and run on two AA cells. When I switched it on in the store and
    looked at it I was walking around for about 5 mins with a black
    after-image in my vision.

    Tony

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  16. > Just back from skiing near Vancouver and dropped into my favourite
    > Mountain Equipment Coop (http://www.mec.ca) there where they sell them
    > for C$3.0 or about œ1.50 each compared to œ9.95 from Wiggle. So I got a
    > handful

    Not the same as Waffle's ones - hers have three 'super bright' leds so may
    actually be ok - the single led ones aren't quite up to it IME.