Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    trolls...
    Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    fit for a bikie.
    No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    Best,
    Jim

    Tags:

  2. Jim wrote:
    > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > trolls...
    > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > fit for a bikie.
    > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    > Best,
    > Jim

    Tucson, Arizona has really beautiful mountain roads,but it's really hot
    in the summer.
    San Diego has fabulous weather and there are hills enough nearby. And
    the ocean is beautiful.

  3. Jim wrote:
    > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > trolls...
    > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > fit for a bikie.
    > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    > Best,
    > Jim

    Not mountainous, but nice and hilly....central Texas hill country does
    offer some very fine cycling fare....Fredricksburg, Kerrville and lots
    of smaller towns. Good luck in your search.

  4. I was just about to suggest Central Texas as well. I grew up in
    Colorado, and raced there for years. I live in Austin now, and they
    cycling here is great. No long climbs, but there are plenty of steep
    ones. There's even the annual Tour das Hugel, which climbs 9,000 feet
    in 100 miles, and much of the climbing is over a 10% grade - with some
    spots up to 26%.

    http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/stories/health/11/14fitcity.html

    Anyway, in Central Texas, there are only maybe 5 days a year you can't
    ride due to ice or crazy bad rain. Most of the natives feel otherwise,
    but if you come from a place that actually has seasons, you can ride
    year-round here.

    It's warm in the summer, but you can beat that by just getting out in
    it. I ride from 1pm-2pm just about every weekday all year long, and the
    heat never plays into my decision to ride -- and I grew up as a
    mild-weather Colorado boy.

    Oh, you might also consider Hawaii... we were in Maui this year, and I
    would ride all over that place. Bad traffic in spots, but that doesn't
    really bother me.

    -Mike

    Guiseppe Corvo wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    > > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > > trolls...
    > > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > > fit for a bikie.
    > > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    > > Best,
    > > Jim
    > >

    > Not mountainous, but nice and hilly....central Texas hill country does
    > offer some very fine cycling fare....Fredricksburg, Kerrville and lots
    > of smaller towns. Good luck in your search.

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    >trolls...
    >Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    >traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    >fit for a bikie.
    >No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

    Someone else already suggested central Texas, and that's an area with
    pretty much whatever kind of mix you want, as long as the small-town
    attitudes aren't a problem. If you like it dry, hot in the summer,
    and artsy, then Marfa, TX might be a good choice. Much of northern
    California might also fit the bill if you like it damper and cooler,
    and Prescott in Arizona is pretty, on a mountain, and has fairly
    decent weather though it gets cold in the winter. Not much flat
    around it, though; unless you really like climbing, there are probably
    better choices. Flagstaff has terrain and atmosphere, and the Grand
    Canyon is just a looooong climb uphill through varying types of forest
    and scrub. Santa Fe, NM is another potentially good choice IMO. A
    lot depends on what kind of weather you consider pleasant. I like
    what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  6. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:

    > I like
    > what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    > unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    Uganda?

    Chalo

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 10 Jan 2006 18:41:00 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Werehatrack wrote:
    >>
    >> I like
    >> what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    >> unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    >Uganda?

    Close. Miami.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  8. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    >I was just about to suggest Central Texas as well. I grew up in
    > Colorado, and raced there for years. I live in Austin now, and they
    > cycling here is great.

    But what about wind? Here in the Dallas area, the wind is usually 15-25 mph
    daily. I get so [email protected]#$%d tired of the constant wind even if the weather is
    otherwise nice.

    Pat

  9. "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited

    by
    > >trolls...
    > >Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > >traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > >fit for a bikie.
    > >No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

    > Someone else already suggested central Texas, and that's an area with
    > pretty much whatever kind of mix you want, as long as the small-town
    > attitudes aren't a problem. If you like it dry, hot in the summer,
    > and artsy, then Marfa, TX might be a good choice. Much of northern
    > California might also fit the bill if you like it damper and cooler,
    > and Prescott in Arizona is pretty, on a mountain, and has fairly
    > decent weather though it gets cold in the winter. Not much flat
    > around it, though; unless you really like climbing, there are probably
    > better choices. Flagstaff has terrain and atmosphere, and the Grand
    > Canyon is just a looooong climb uphill through varying types of forest
    > and scrub. Santa Fe, NM is another potentially good choice IMO. A
    > lot depends on what kind of weather you consider pleasant. I like
    > what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    > unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    In Houston, our summer weather is really horrible. I have done too many
    races at 6pm in the park when you could steam eggs (frying with high
    humidity) on the top tube. Our rides start at 7am and you really need to be
    off the road by 11. On the other hand, you can ride for most of the winter
    in what most places consider summer jersey and shorts.

    We have a number of really terrific bike clubs and there is always an
    organized ride to do. In April we have a huge MS150 from Houston to Austin.
    This year the herd is supposed to top 12,000. There are numerous organized
    rides that lead up to the MS150. After that all of the corporate types hang
    up the bike until next January. The serious riders are going all year long.
    My daughter's race team used to come down here every winter vacation to
    train with us. Most of them were from the upper Midwest. It was a real treat
    for them.

    If you like seriously fast rides, we have one that starts from Memorial Park
    near downtown. It is called the Death Ride. We have a few seniors that do
    it. Another one is called the Kirkwood ride on Saturday mornings. You could
    be a child molester and try to beat up some cat 2 racer who is a third of
    your age :)

    Northwest Cycling Club has a superb club ride setup every Saturday. There
    are numerous groups sequenced by speed ability.

    The roads are reasonable. but Houston is not a bike friendly town. Not like
    Seattle or something like that. We went up there to work the bike expo last
    February. They have a bike culture that is absolutely stunning. The Cascade
    club has something like 5,500 members. The scenery is exquisite and the
    roads are beautiful. After the show, we went to visit some of our dealers on
    the Olympic Peninsula (I think that is what it is called). We took the ferry
    and then drove to Sequim and Port Angeles. It was breathtaking. I could be
    happy there...

    I agree with wherehatrack, the Texas Hill country is really nice. Kerrville
    and the general vicinity is wonderful. There is a NORBA race that we look
    forward to working every year. There is a great organized ride called the
    Easter Hill Country Tour that is worth doing. Another terrific ride is the
    Piney Wood Purgatory in Lufkin. If you like a hot challenge check out the
    Katy Flatland Century in July.

    There I go rambling again, Sorry for the drivel. There are way too many
    bottles and orders to fill and not enough time to ride...

    Bruce

  10. "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    > >
    > > I like
    > > what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    > > unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    > Uganda?
    >
    > Chalo

    Actually New Orleans is a bit hotter than Houston. We noticed it when we
    used to go there.

    Bruce

  11. "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >I was just about to suggest Central Texas as well. I grew up in
    > > Colorado, and raced there for years. I live in Austin now, and they
    > > cycling here is great.

    > But what about wind? Here in the Dallas area, the wind is usually 15-25

    mph
    > daily. I get so [email protected]#$%d tired of the constant wind even if the weather is
    > otherwise nice.
    >
    > Pat

    One of my riding buddies used to live there. He used to remark how you went
    10 miles an hour to the ride turn around and 40 on the way back...

    Bruce

  12. "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On 10 Jan 2006 18:41:00 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Werehatrack wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I like
    > >> what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    > >> unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    > >Uganda?

    > Close. Miami.
    > --

    I never found South Florida as uncomfortable as Houston.

  13. On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:37:36 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, "Jim" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    >>trolls...
    >>Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    >>traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    >>fit for a bikie.
    >>No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

    I recommend either here in eastern Pennsylvania, or Maryland/Delaware. We
    do have winter to deal with, but usually it's not too bad. There is a
    great selection of rolling hills, picturesque landscape, and quiet,
    scenic roads. If you avoid the Philadelphia area, also, prices are quite
    reasonable. Riding in Lancaster County is full of surprises: Amish
    buggies/farms, gorgeous creeks and valleys, and surprisingly challenging
    hills. Here in Lehigh/Northhampton counties, the hills tend to be even
    more substantial, but we make up for it with quiet country roads, covered
    bridges, and one of the best velodromes in the country.

    > Someone else already suggested central Texas,

    I've lived in central Texas. Yes, winters are milder, but summers are
    killer. Riding in 100+ degrees/80%+ humidity is not my idea of fun.

    > pretty much whatever kind of mix you want, as long as the small-town
    > attitudes aren't a problem.

    Yeah.

    > If you like it dry, hot in the summer, and
    > artsy, then Marfa, TX might be a good choice.

    Castroville is also a good option in that area. Very picturesque; if you
    don't need a way to generate income, it's a great place to live.

    > Much of northern
    > California might also fit the bill if you like it damper and cooler,

    But that area is outrageously expensive.

    > Santa Fe, NM is another potentially good choice IMO.

    Santa Fe would be nice. Lots of not much once you get out of town,
    though.

    > I like what I've got here
    > in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be unmitigated hell. (I
    > grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    I've lived in Houston. I have to know, where in Hell did you grow up,
    that the summers were worse than Houston?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
    _`\(,_ | business.
    (_)/ (_) |

  14. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, Jim wrote:

    > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > trolls...
    > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > fit for a bikie.
    > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding. Best,
    > Jim

    If you like hills (you said mountain roads), I'd pick right here in
    Blacksburg, VA. If you want a sample, come to our Cycling Doubleheader
    this spring (www.mountainsofmisery.com).

    We do have real winter weather, but it's nice in between. It's rarely
    cold or icy for more than a few days.

    Nothern CA is great too, if you can afford to live well enough there.

    Matt O.

  15. On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:58:51 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

    > On 10 Jan 2006 18:41:00 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Werehatrack wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I like
    >>> what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
    >>> unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

    >>Uganda?

    > Close. Miami.

    Ah. That explains it.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
    _`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
    (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
    -- J. R. R. Tolkein

  16. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Joshua Mermelstein wrote:

    > Tucson, Arizona has really beautiful mountain roads,but it's really hot
    > in the summer.

    Lived in Tucson for 15 years! Biking is great, just stay indoors
    between 11am and 3pm.

  17. Jim wrote:
    > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > trolls...
    > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > fit for a bikie.
    > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

    Detroit, Michigan or Cleveland, Ohio. ;)

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley Pedant

  18. > Oh, you might also consider Hawaii... we were in Maui this year, and I
    > would ride all over that place. Bad traffic in spots, but that doesn't
    > really bother me.

    Except that you'd run out of new roads in a month or so (maybe less), and
    it's not as if you can just get in your car and drive a few hours to new
    territory. I could easily spend a couple months in Maui, but don't think I'd
    want to retire there.

    But if I did, wonder how often I'd be riding up Haleakala?
    http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm. Undoubtedly more often than my
    wife would want me to. On the other had, if I were retired, maybe she'd want
    me someplace else anyway?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  19. > Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    > trolls...
    > Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    > traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    > fit for a bikie.
    > No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    > Best,
    > Jim

    One of the most beautiful places I've been to (and, unfortunately, not had a
    chance to ride) was the high desert area of Oregon (which actually extends
    up into Washington). Doesn't rain very much there, and it's got mountains,
    valleys, you name it. Not too crowded yet, but retiring Californians are
    beginning to change that. The lack of jobs helps keep costs reasonable
    though.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  20. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >>Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
    >>trolls...
    >>Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
    >>traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
    >>fit for a bikie.
    >>No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
    >>Best,
    >>Jim

    > One of the most beautiful places I've been to (and, unfortunately, not had a
    > chance to ride) was the high desert area of Oregon (which actually extends
    > up into Washington). Doesn't rain very much there, and it's got mountains,
    > valleys, you name it. Not too crowded yet, but retiring Californians are
    > beginning to change that. The lack of jobs helps keep costs reasonable
    > though.

    I'm thinking about retiring there myself (well, a long time from now).
    I have ridden there a fair amount, and liked it, for the most part.
    Living in eastern Oregon, you'd be a short ways from Western Oregon and
    the Willamette Valley, which is wonderful cycling territory in late
    spring/summer/fall. (That's where I live now). Not too bad outside of
    the very depths of winter, either. If I could somehow afford two
    houses, I'd like in Western Oregon April through October and Eastern
    Oregon November through March - but that's just a not-well considered
    pipe dream.

    BTW, I notice that most of the posts suggest that the best place is
    where they are now, mine included. I suppose that means most of us have
    managed to live in areas we like.

    Mark (in Salem, OR)