Serotta,,Advice Please...

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
Hello All,

It seems every year father's day or my birthday comes around and my wife always decides the best gift would be a bike or bike clothing. Well it is that time again and she wants me to get the ultimate bike so she looks in her types of magazines and finds an article on Serotta bikes and how comfortable they are because of the custom building...

A year ago I bought a Trek 5000 which I put more than a few thousands miles on, took it to Boston and Baltimore. It has been great for training and touring as long as you are not carry too much gear. I just never found it to fit perfect. I mean it was great but never felt I had total control of the bike in certain situations. I am still and always have been terrible on downhills, I look back and the delivery guy with the five food deliveries pass me by....:D For my commutes to work I put together an old Project 5 Bianchi from used parts so when it does get stolen, who cares. I learned the hard way when they stole a new bike I bought for commuting.

Anyway she scheduled me for the appointment, I went and was amazed at the detail they went through and then they put me on the trainer, with watt output readings and all other types of data. It was amazing after he made the adjustments how much more comfortable it felt.

He recommended the Ottrott or the Concours CS...the Concours CS goes for $4,000 and Ottrott for almost $10,000...But is it worth it??? Will I really feel or ride any different? I do want to get into racing even at my old age of 41 for fun...and he said it can be used for lite touring ..

So before I get the responses about how he thinks the bike can make the rider...save them...I really not that rich but the great things about bikes you can afford an expensive bike even on a modest salary.

So let me know what you guys think...

Thanks for all your help.

-john sirabella

jsirabella said:
So let me know what you guys think...

Thanks for all your help.

The real value is the detailed sizing, second may be the fit you get from a custom bike. Serottas are fine bikes, but you can get a custom steel or ti bike for a lot less.

How come in Bicycling magazines you never see reviews for them or alot of the other higher end bikes?

Which other better priced custom bikes do you recommend?

-john sirabella

DiabloScott said:
The real value is the detailed sizing, second may be the fit you get from a custom bike. Serottas are fine bikes, but you can get a custom steel or ti bike for a lot less.

John,

In addition to Serotta I would look at Seven. We just built one for my wife and the result was far, far better than I imagined possible. You might also look at Independent Fabrication for a custom TI bike.

BTW, you can read reviews of both Serotta and Seven at www.pezcyclingnews.com you may have seen these but if not they were good reads.

Good luck,

Russ

There are dozens of builders in the US alone that can build a custom bike and there are those who build in carbon fiber, steel, aluminum and titanium; Take your pick. Serotta is great for custom fit, but they are not Gods nor are they alone in understanding proper fit. I have a full custom Calfee Tetra Pro.
www.calfeedesign.com

You may want to research more. For example my wife is partial to the fancy paint and lug work on a custom Columbine bicycle.

Check out the North American Handmade Bicycle Show site. There are dozens of builders listed. There are are also other web sites that list custom bicycle builders.