Serotta Colorado TG vs Cannondale six13

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fizzy23, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

Hello All

I currently ride the Serotta and was tempted by the six13 by a friend. Argument that the Aluminum bike would be stiffer than the steel and that the power transfer would be better with the six13. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tags:

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

My thoughts are that anyone who wants to trade a Serotta for a Cannondale is a crazy man. And if such a person thinks he will make performance gains due to improved "power transfer" he is even crazier.

3. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

Even a frame from 92'?

4. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

To blindly suggest that a Serotta is 'better' than the C'dale Six13 without knowing the vintage and/or model of the Serotta in question is ignorant. It's a case of foolhardy brand worship. The crazy guy with the "no name" bike may just kick your ass over the next climb......

For the sake of argument, performance wise, I'll take a current model Taiwanese made carbon frame over any 80-90's vintage, lugged steel frame from Colnago, Merckx, DeRosa, Cinelli, Pinarello or yes, even Serotta. The high end brands may look fantastic and impress your friends, but those frames still weigh +50% more than most current aluminum or carbon frames from some less notable mass market manufacturer. Ride characteristic and preference is subjective but those steel frames are definitely more flexible and less responsive as well.

The point is, Cannondale may not be in the same echelon of frame builders as Serotta (debatable), but to blindly say the Serotta is the preferred choice is very short-sighted. Besides, it's probably even possible to say that the C'dale Six13 has a better pedigree than most Serottas, if you want to go that route......but that's another thread.

Cheers,

PS: I have an early '90's vintage Merckx steel frame and a 2-year old C'dale. The C'dale is by far the better performance ride.

5. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

If you are looking to get a new bike then get a new bike, but don't do it for some dubious reason like "power transmission". Power transmission sounds like a laughable line of B.S. from Cannondale's marketing dept.

For bling, any Serotta has it over any Cannondale. If I were making the choice I would buy a new Record gruppo and upgrade the Serotta for a lot less than buying a new and much less blingin Cannondale.

Buying a new bike gets you two things. The first is lower weight and the second is newer components. As much as half the weight loss will be due to new components. A '92 frame should have 130 mm rear dropout spacing, so you could upgrade the components on your current frame and get a large part of the weight loss.

Another big weight loss is changing from a steel fork (assuming you have one) and a full carbon one. Your Serotta probably has a one inch threaded fork. There are limited upgrade options here, but you can buy 1" forks with carbon legs and a steel steerer.

The difference in frame weight will probably be about two pounds. If you were Floyd Landis it might make a difference, for riders who are not mutants it does not amount to much in the way of performance.

Of course, there is something nice about a new bike, but the niceness does not extend to making you faster. Getting faster comes down to the rider and his training.

6. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

Agreed, I have upgraded from the original 600 components to Dura Ace 7800 and have changed the fork out to a 1 inch threadless carbon and I love it. My next upgrade will be wheels, looking at Kysriums at the moment.

Thanks for both your opinions!!Both very valid points. I will proabaly keep the Serotta and wait and buy another bike down the road. Weight is not a factor at the moment for I have enough to lose arounf the midsection that would make more of a difference!!

I may also just get the C dale, will probably sleep on it and decide in the morning!!

7. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Psst ... psst ... go for the six13, it's a awesome bike, trust me ... :p

8. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

Got it and Love It!!! I am keeping my Serotta frame to build up again later!!! Looks like we have the same taste. I went for the natural look to and we have the same cages......too funny!!!

9. cuervo

cuervo New Member

That's great!!! Congratulations, I'm as happy as you are with the C'dale ... it must be the bottle cages ...

10. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Lovin' mine
    Especially on the hill with the Shimano compact crank

11. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

I am not completely sold on the compact, but that is another conversation.

12. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

That's because you are probably a stronger rider than me :D