Serotta Legend ST vs. Trek 5900

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by polynikes722, Jul 23, 2004.

1. polynikes722

polynikes722 New Member

I am currently riding an 04 Trek 5900 w/ Dura Ace, however, my collegiate team just signed a sweet deal with Serotta hat basically gives us frames (I'll pay only about a grand for the Legend frame). My 5900 is the perfect bike, really, except that it doesn't fit me 100%, no matter what tinkering I do. There is always something that's uncomfortable - mostly because I have a much smaller upper body than lower and so the top tube is just too long, making it really uncomfortable to ride in the drops. So, I'm considering selling the Trek and going with the Legend (custom geometry). Does anyone have any opinions on the Legend / can anyone tell me anything about they're experience with the bike vs. a high end carbon bike?

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I switched from an OCLV Trek to a Serotta Legend Ti. I like the ride and the quality of frame and fork. They weigh more, but since I am not racing, it doesn't matter to me. I think that fit is the very most important aspect of chosing you equipment.. followed by durability and serviceability. The Serotta Legend has been perfect for me.

3. polynikes722

polynikes722 New Member

Do you know what the weight difference is? Is it really noticable?

4. izzodesh

izzodesh New Member

our team is also sponsered by serotta and honestly weight does not matter
    it only makes u slightly faster up hills....but comfort lasts all thru the race..

a bike that fits you well could chnage the way you ride completley..
    we have two cour d'aciers on the team and one ottrot and it was the best thing we ever did...
    serotta is like buying a ferrai..
    built just to your needs.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Maybe it doesn't matter to amatures,but Lemond won one Tour by only 8 seconds, and Lance and others don't use a downtube front shifter in the mountain stages just for cool.

6. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I never weighed the bare frames and/or forks.
    Serotta F1 fork is very nice/sturdy/strong. I again haven't weighed it but I am sure it weighs more.

I am not a racer, so things that are noticeable to me are how comfortable and secure I feel after riding a "century" or metric century.

I am sure weight information would be available from "weight weenies" web site.