Server Sucks

thebluetrain said:
How about taking donations to buy a bigger one or upgrade?
...or put the server on a doping programme to upgrade its performance ? a testosterone patch to the hard-drive should do it ! :p

thebluetrain said:
Am I the only one having "Server Busy" problems? Anybody else?
Happens all the time.
I thought it was just mad aussies blocking me.
:D

I get Server busy messages usually at 10.00pm (local time, it's usually when the ANZAC members log on) and at 1.00pm (local time, when the US east coasters start to log on).

I think the problem has to do with the volume of members on at a given time.

limerickman said:
I get Server busy messages usually at 10.00pm (local time, it's usually when the ANZAC members log on) and at 1.00pm (local time, when the US east coasters start to log on).

I think the problem has to do with the volume of members on at a given time.
I think it's the number of "guests", not the "members" that are loading up the server.

Why not kick off a guest to make room for a member if the server is too full? (as a member tries to log on.)

Mansmind said:
I think it's the number of "guests", not the "members" that are loading up the server.

Why not kick off a guest to make room for a member if the server is too full? (as a member tries to log on.)

That's a very good suggestion.

Mansmind said:

Current Numbers, as an example:

Members: 193
Guests: 2300? (close to that, don't remember exact figure)

whiteboytrash said:
...or put the server on a doping programme to upgrade its performance ? a testosterone patch to the hard-drive should do it ! :p
We have two new servers, both are 2.8ghz dual xeons and have 4gb of ram scsi hard drives. They should do a much better job than our current 3 server (but much less powerfull) setup. I doubt they'll need to use doping products.

The site wont be moved to them until early next month.

cheers

With all the news going on today, people have bombarded places like this trying to learn more info. Thus, our server got 'attacked' by 'nobodies' and the valued registered people suffered. lol.

It'll die down soon.

thebluetrain said:
How about taking donations to buy a bigger one or upgrade?
Clearly the server problems are caused by overheating due to all the hot-air being blown by some posters ;p

steve said:
We have two new servers, both are 2.8ghz dual xeons and have 4gb of ram scsi hard drives. They should do a much better job than our current 3 server (but much less powerfull) setup. I doubt they'll need to use doping products.

cheers
What DB are you running on the back-end, sir?

dexjava said:
What DB are you running on the back-end, sir?
MySQL - its not our problem though:

steve@www1 [~]# w 10:50:53 up 165 days, 13:29, 1 user, load average: 0.83, 0.40, 0.32

steve said:

cheers
Steve, its obvious that you are usign the latest technology, but how is the network capacity?

I notice that some heavy traffic websites use back up webservers to deal with peak in demand.

www.cyclingforums.com
www1.cyclingforums.com etc..

expensive though...

as someone suggested set up a paypal domations button - i'll happily donate a few quid. Or, i have seen this on another popular forum which i can forward to you, set up a 'Premuim Member' service. Anyone can register for free but if you feel you are a regular contributer then you can sign up for a premuim account, i dunno say $20 per year. You get a symbol saying you are a paying member below your username and people know that you actively contribute to the financial upkeep of the site that you use every day. Seems only fair some of us should pay...

if only 100 of us register for this out of 113,000+ members, thats a tidy sum each year..

i dunno if Vbulletin supports this feature though.

MountainPro said:
Steve, its obvious that you are usign the latest technology, but how is the network capacity?

I notice that some heavy traffic websites use back up webservers to deal with peak in demand.

www.cyclingforums.com
www1.cyclingforums.com etc..

expensive though...

as someone suggested set up a paypal domations button - i'll happily donate a few quid. Or, i have seen this on another popular forum which i can forward to you, set up a 'Premuim Member' service. Anyone can register for free but if you feel you are a regular contributer then you can sign up for a premuim account, i dunno say $20 per year. You get a symbol saying you are a paying member below your username and people know that you actively contribute to the financial upkeep of the site that you use every day. Seems only fair some of us should pay...

if only 100 of us register for this out of 113,000+ members, thats a tidy sum each year..

i dunno if Vbulletin supports this feature though.
I just had a look at the stats, today we had more traffic by 8am than any other full day in the history of the website. For those on different timezones, I posted this message just after 8am au time http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2921332#post2921332

I'll keep the donation idea in mind, I'm not sure I really want to go down that path though.

regards

steve said:
I just had a look at the stats, today we had more traffic by 8am than any other full day in the history of the website. For those on different timezones, I posted this message just after 8am au time http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2921332#post2921332

I'll keep the donation idea in mind, I'm not sure I really want to go down that path though.

regards
i tried to get on at 11pm last night..tried for an hour and a half unsucessfully..