Servicing Rolf/Hugi hubs -- lube, tools?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
My rear hub (Rolf Sestriere wheel) is probably due for service. But before I
pull it apart I'd like to be sure I have the right stuff on hand. First, does
it come apart like any other Hugi hub? Do I need any special tools? Second,
what kind of lube should I use for the ratchet mechanism? I understand
too-stiff grease can be a problem, as with King hubs. Should I use regular
grease, Phil Oil, a mixture of oil and grease, or some special grease?

Matt O.

> My rear hub (Rolf Sestriere wheel) is probably due for service.

That's a Hugi 240 hub, I think. Pull on the cassette (while it's still
on the freehub body). They will pull away from the hub. Clean the few
parts that fall out, put a film of oil (or grease thinned with lube) on
the clean parts, push it all back together.
If your bearings need replacement, some violent pounding and gentle
pressing will do the trick.

-Vee

> My rear hub (Rolf Sestriere wheel) is probably due for service. But
> before I
> pull it apart I'd like to be sure I have the right stuff on hand. First,
> does
> it come apart like any other Hugi hub? Do I need any special tools?
> Second,
> what kind of lube should I use for the ratchet mechanism? I understand
> too-stiff grease can be a problem, as with King hubs. Should I use
> regular
> grease, Phil Oil, a mixture of oil and grease, or some special grease?

Matt: The Rolf (actually Hugi) hub is rather picky about grease. We've tried
to find a good substitute for the expensive stuff you get from Hugi/DT, but
so far nothing's worked nearly as well. You should be able to get some from
a Trek/Fisher/LeMond dealer; the part# is 232154, and it's currently in
stock in everywhere but the California warehouse. Not cheap, as I mentioned;
$19.99, ouch! But it should be a lifetime supply.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA