Servicing Shifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Watimena

Do shifters need to be serviced? Specifically Shimano LX ones (9 Speed variety from circa 2001)

And if so how do you do this?

I have noticed a my shifting getting harder on an LX equipped bike I have (mainly the rear gears).
even after putting a new gear cable on. I thought it might be the rear mech, but I have recently put
on a new XT rear derailleur (plus new cables and outers) and the shifting is still fairly stiff.

It shifts accurately, but you need a bit of force to make it change, particularly when changing into
lower (bigger gears).

I recently bought a second bike with an LX drive train, and the first thing I noticed was how light
and fast the shifting was....The merest flick with my thumb sent the chain jumping up three cogs
like that....

I have seen parts for shimano shifter pods available on some internet bike shops, and was wondering
if anyone could shed some light on shifter pod maintenance......

Jeremy

Z

Zilla

Have you tried lubing the shifter pivot points, and the cable itself?

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do shifters need to be serviced? Specifically Shimano LX ones (9 Speed variety from circa 2001)
>
> And if so how do you do this?
>
> I have noticed a my shifting getting harder on an LX equipped bike I have (mainly the rear gears).
> even after putting a new gear cable on. I
thought
> it might be the rear mech, but I have recently put on a new XT rear derailleur (plus new cables
> and outers) and the shifting is still fairly stiff.
>
> It shifts accurately, but you need a bit of force to make it change, particularly when changing
> into lower (bigger gears).
>
> I recently bought a second bike with an LX drive train, and the first
thing
> I noticed was how light and fast the shifting was....The merest flick with my thumb sent the chain
> jumping up three cogs like that....
>
> I have seen parts for shimano shifter pods available on some internet bike shops, and was
> wondering if anyone could shed some light on shifter pod maintenance......
>
> Jeremy

S

Shaun Rimmer

Watimena <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Do shifters need to be serviced? Specifically Shimano LX ones (9 Speed variety from circa 2001)
>
>
> I have noticed a my shifting getting harder on an LX equipped bike I have (mainly the rear gears).
thought
> it might be the rear mech, but I have recently put on a new XT rear derailleur (plus new cables
> and outers) and the shifting is still fairly stiff.
>
> It shifts accurately, but you need a bit of force to make it change, particularly when changing
> into lower (bigger gears).
>
> I recently bought a second bike with an LX drive train, and the first
thing
> I noticed was how light and fast the shifting was....The merest flick with my thumb sent the chain
> jumping up three cogs like that....
>
> I have seen parts for shimano shifter pods available on some internet bike shops, and was
> wondering if anyone could shed some light on shifter pod maintenance......
>
> Jeremy

Hey Jeremy!

This is what I'd do - take the cover off the shifters, remove the cable. Liberally soak the
internals with something like WD 40, and work them through the range quite a few times. Give them
another good squirt to wash any dirty gunk off and leave them to dry. Fill them with a good thin
waterproof grease, taking care to work it right into all the contacting moving parts, put cables
back in, re-fit the covers taking care to have the 'indicators' correctly located (if your pods have
them), and you should be good to go.

I do this from the start with new shifters, and my Deore ones are in excellent smooth light shifting
condition after 18 or so months heavy use, with zero re-lubing.

HTH!

Shaun aRe

J

Jon Bond

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Watimena <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Do shifters need to be serviced? Specifically Shimano LX ones (9 Speed variety from circa 2001)
> >
> > And if so how do you do this?
> >
> > I have noticed a my shifting getting harder on an LX equipped bike I
have
> > (mainly the rear gears). even after putting a new gear cable on. I
> thought
> > it might be the rear mech, but I have recently put on a new XT rear derailleur (plus new cables
> > and outers) and the shifting is still fairly stiff.
> >
> > It shifts accurately, but you need a bit of force to make it change, particularly when changing
> > into lower (bigger gears).
> >
> > I recently bought a second bike with an LX drive train, and the first
> thing
> > I noticed was how light and fast the shifting was....The merest flick
with
> > my thumb sent the chain jumping up three cogs like that....
> >
> > I have seen parts for shimano shifter pods available on some internet
bike
> > shops, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shifter pod maintenance......
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> Hey Jeremy!
>
> This is what I'd do - take the cover off the shifters, remove the cable. Liberally soak the
> internals with something like WD 40, and work them through the range quite a few times. Give them
> another good squirt to wash any dirty gunk off and leave them to dry. Fill them with a good thin
> waterproof grease, taking care to work it right into all the contacting moving parts, put cables
> back in, re-fit the covers taking care to have
the
> 'indicators' correctly located (if your pods have them), and you should be good to go.
>
> I do this from the start with new shifters, and my Deore ones are in excellent smooth light
> shifting condition after 18 or so months heavy use, with zero re-lubing.
>
> HTH!
>
> Shaun aRe

Then again, so are my XT shifters after probably the same if not more time, and I *MAYBE* dribbled
some teflon lube in there once. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... or break it so you can ;) Worth a
try if they're nasty tho.

Jon Bond

C

Captain Adventu

It COULD be that you're shifting too late? Are you shifting during a climb (you shouldn't) or before
(as you should be)?

That may be your answer.

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Watimena <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Do shifters need to be serviced? Specifically Shimano LX ones (9
Speed
> > > variety from circa 2001)
> > >
> > > And if so how do you do this?
> > >
> > > I have noticed a my shifting getting harder on an LX equipped bike I
> have
> > > (mainly the rear gears). even after putting a new gear cable on. I
> > thought
> > > it might be the rear mech, but I have recently put on a new XT rear derailleur (plus new
> > > cables and outers) and the shifting is still
fairly
> > > stiff.
> > >
> > > It shifts accurately, but you need a bit of force to make it change, particularly when
> > > changing into lower (bigger gears).
> > >
> > > I recently bought a second bike with an LX drive train, and the first
> > thing
> > > I noticed was how light and fast the shifting was....The merest flick
> with
> > > my thumb sent the chain jumping up three cogs like that....
> > >
> > > I have seen parts for shimano shifter pods available on some internet
> bike
> > > shops, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shifter
pod
> > > maintenance......
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> >
> > Hey Jeremy!
> >
> > This is what I'd do - take the cover off the shifters, remove the cable. Liberally soak the
> > internals with something like WD 40, and work them through the range quite a few times. Give
> > them another good squirt to
wash
> > any dirty gunk off and leave them to dry. Fill them with a good thin waterproof grease, taking
> > care to work it right into all the contacting moving parts, put cables back in, re-fit the
> > covers taking care to have
> the
> > 'indicators' correctly located (if your pods have them), and you should
be
> > good to go.
> >
> > I do this from the start with new shifters, and my Deore ones are in excellent smooth light
> > shifting condition after 18 or so months heavy
use,
> > with zero re-lubing.
> >
> > HTH!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> Then again, so are my XT shifters after probably the same if not more
time,
> and I *MAYBE* dribbled some teflon lube in there once. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... or break
> it so you can ;) Worth a try if they're nasty tho.
>
> Jon Bond

P

Phil Lee

"Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
thought

You said you replaced cable, but you didn't mention housing. Make sure you get lined housing,
although almost all have that anyways.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

S

Shaun Rimmer

Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Hey Jeremy!
> >
> > This is what I'd do - take the cover off the shifters, remove the cable. Liberally soak the
> > internals with something like WD 40, and work them through the range quite a few times. Give
> > them another good squirt to
wash
> > any dirty gunk off and leave them to dry. Fill them with a good thin waterproof grease, taking
> > care to work it right into all the contacting moving parts, put cables back in, re-fit the
> > covers taking care to have
> the
> > 'indicators' correctly located (if your pods have them), and you should
be
> > good to go.
> >
> > I do this from the start with new shifters, and my Deore ones are in excellent smooth light
> > shifting condition after 18 or so months heavy
use,
> > with zero re-lubing.
> >
> > HTH!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> Then again, so are my XT shifters after probably the same if not more
time,
> and I *MAYBE* dribbled some teflon lube in there once. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... or break
> it so you can ;) Worth a try if they're nasty tho.

If they're stiff, it's likely they're gummed up - dried up lube/dust etc. WD 40 will dissolve that
and flush it out, the grease helps keep the **** out and away from the moving parts while providing
lubrication.

Shaun aRe - If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.