Servicing Shimano Hubs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chappers, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Chappers

    Chappers Guest

    Hello,

    Has anyone got any tips/good sites with advice on servicing Shimano XT hubs??? Is it worth trying,
    or better to get a LBS to do work??

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:52:57 -0000, "Chappers" <[email protected]<>Hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Has anyone got any tips/good sites with advice on servicing Shimano XT hubs??? Is it worth trying,
    >or better to get a LBS to do work??

    Piece of cake. You need only one site: Guru Sheldon.
    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html>

    The crucial thing is to make them just a teeny bit slack when off the bike, and the QR does the
    rest. I followed the instructions to the letter (Deore hubs on three of my bikes) and have been
    delighted.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  4. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

  5. A certain Just zis Guy, you know?, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
    >On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:52:57 -0000, "Chappers" <[email protected]<>Hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone got any tips/good sites with advice on servicing Shimano XT hubs??? Is it worth trying,
    >>or better to get a LBS to do work??
    >
    >Piece of cake. You need only one site: Guru Sheldon.
    ><http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html>

    Sheldon is indispensable. But there are some good diagrams and instructions on this & other
    maintenance matters at the Park Tool website:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

    --
    George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is

  6. Chappers

    Chappers Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> said:
    >
    > > And http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/ may have spec & part diagrams for your hubs
    > > somewhere.
    >
    > http://bike.shimano.com/services/tech_info_b.asp?cat=MTB&pg=Deore%20XT
    >
    > has exploded diagrams for some hubs but no service instructions. I've
    never
    > got on with the European shimano site, it doesn't seem to be designed very well.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -david

    Thanks a lot for all the responses....