Servicing Shimano M324 Flat/SPD pedals

Mark Blewett

Guest
The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.

I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved at getting
only just over a years use out of them.

What do I need and what should I do to service them?

Thanks
Mark

"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
> up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
> bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
> most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>
> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved at getting only
> just over a years use out of them.
>
> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

May be worth quickly swopping them on to another bike (if you have one) to
check it is the pedal first.
Peter

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:51:40 +0100, Mark Blewett <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
>up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
>bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
>most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>
>What do I need and what should I do to service them?
>
>Thanks
>Mark

The RH pedal axle has become slightly loose in the crank arm, even though it may
appear tight it isn't. Get out your spanner and tighten it up.

We had exactly the same thing the other weekend, likewise suspected the pedal
bearings, it wasn't. Bike was due for a service at LBS anyway, above was the
fix.

Cheers

Neil

"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved
> at getting only just over a years use out of them.

> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

Here's an exploded diagram:

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/explosionszeichungen_archiv/PD/PD_M324_02.pdf

Several Shimano pedals use this bearing system where the outer cone ends up
deep within the pedal body. You can get away without the special tool
(TL-PD33 - a pair of nested sockets, price 20gbp), but it can be an exercise
in frustration trying to set the correct preload on the bearing without it.

James Thomson

Mark Blewett said the following on 16/04/2007 01:51:
> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
> up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
> bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
> most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.

When you say you checked everything else, does that include the fit of
the pedal in the crank arm? For a 5-minute zero-cost possible solution,
take the pedal off, clean up the threads, re-grease and re-assemble.
That often gets rid of odd clicks.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 16 Apr, 01:51, Mark Blewett <[email protected]> wrote:
> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
> up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
> bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
> most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>
> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved at getting
> only just over a years use out of them.
>
> What do I need and what should I do to service them?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Does it click if you're riding on the flat side in normal shoes?

James Thomson wrote:

>"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
>> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved
>> at getting only just over a years use out of them.

>> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

>Here's an exploded diagram:
>
>http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/explosionszeichungen_archiv/PD/PD_M324_02.pdf

Or in English

http://tinyurl.com/2htxyr which leads to:

<http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/PD/EV-PD-M324-1972A_v1_m56577569830608609.pdf>

Mark Blewett wrote:
> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
> up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
> bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
> most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>
> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved at getting
> only just over a years use out of them.
>
> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

Buy new ones if the bearings need attention. They are one of the (two?)
types of SPD which don't have a removable axle "cartridge" for easy
servicing. Adjusting the bearings on these is nigh-on impossible.

rothers wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:51:40 +0100, Mark Blewett <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or pull
>> up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else, its the
>> bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and if I put
>> most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>>
>> What do I need and what should I do to service them?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark

> The RH pedal axle has become slightly loose in the crank arm, even though it may
> appear tight it isn't. Get out your spanner and tighten it up.
>
> We had exactly the same thing the other weekend, likewise suspected the pedal
> bearings, it wasn't. Bike was due for a service at LBS anyway, above was the
> fix.
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil

Thanks to everyone who replied, you saved me a lot of hassle! After
finding a 10" long AJ (to get a bit more leverage than the spanner I
used last time) and tightening the pedal axle bout 10-15degs I'm now
click free :eek:)

Thanks
Mark

Phil Cook wrote:
> James Thomson wrote:
>
>> "Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>>
>>> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved
>>> at getting only just over a years use out of them.
>>> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

>> Here's an exploded diagram:
>>
>> http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/explosionszeichungen_archiv/PD/PD_M324_02.pdf

> Or in English
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2htxyr which leads to:
>
> <http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/PD/EV-PD-M324-1972A_v1_m56577569830608609.pdf>

Thanks, I've saved in case I need it in the future!

Regards
Mark

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Mark Blewett wrote:
>> The RHS has developed a click over the past week as I push down (or
>> pull up) the pedal. I'm pretty sure, having checked everything else,
>> its the bearings in the pedal since the click is 1:1 with cadence and
>> if I put most power through the LHS pedal there's no click.
>>
>> I think they are serviceable, otherwise I'd be very peeved at getting
>> only just over a years use out of them.
>>
>> What do I need and what should I do to service them?

> Buy new ones if the bearings need attention. They are one of the (two?)
> types of SPD which don't have a removable axle "cartridge" for easy
> servicing. Adjusting the bearings on these is nigh-on impossible.

Just out of interest, what's the other type of SPD which doesn't have a
removable cartridge? Knowing me I'd end up buying them instead if/when I
need to replace my current pedals!

Regards
Mark