Sestriere to Colle delle Finestre near Turin, Italy: road paved or not?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Bikeadman, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Bikeadman

    Bikeadman Guest

    In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
    Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
    line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.

    If you have ridden this road, please write me about it: specifically, is it or isn't it paved? Is
    it, or the view from it, pretty?

    Please send me e-mail as I very seldom check this, or any, newsgroup.

    Thanks.

    Richard [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. On 12 Feb 2004, BikeAdman wrote:
    > In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
    > Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
    > line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.

    I have long wanted to ride this route, but I have never done it. It is easy to find people who know
    it very well, though: just post a query to it.hobby.cicloturismo.

    That is an old military road, like almost all such roads on the Alps; partly paved and not at all
    dangerous. Very scenic since it runs along the devide between the two valleys.

    If you plan on going, let me know ... .

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Ferenc Lovro

    Ferenc Lovro Guest

    [email protected] (BikeAdman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
    > Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
    > line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.
    >
    > If you have ridden this road, please write me about it: specifically, is it or isn't it paved? Is
    > it, or the view from it, pretty?

    I haven't been there yet, but I doubt that a pass marked closed/dangerous would be paved at that
    heights. Even if it is by some miracle, it surely is in bad condition.

    Frank www.plitkorn.com

  4. On 12 Feb 2004, Ferenc Lovro wrote:
    > I haven't been there yet, but I doubt that a pass marked closed/dangerous would be paved at that
    > heights. Even if it is by some miracle, it surely is in bad condition.

    There is indeed a stretch of a few kilometers which is not paved. Judging from reports I read, it
    should be quite ridable on a racer, though.

    Sergio Pisa

  5. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest