Sestriere to Colle delle Finestre near Turin, Italy: road paved or not?

Bikeadman

Guest
In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.

If you have ridden this road, please write me about it: specifically, is it or isn't it paved? Is
it, or the view from it, pretty?

Please send me e-mail as I very seldom check this, or any, newsgroup.

Thanks.

Richard [email protected]

On 12 Feb 2004, BikeAdman wrote:
> In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
> Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
> line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.

I have long wanted to ride this route, but I have never done it. It is easy to find people who know
it very well, though: just post a query to it.hobby.cicloturismo.

That is an old military road, like almost all such roads on the Alps; partly paved and not at all
dangerous. Very scenic since it runs along the devide between the two valleys.

If you plan on going, let me know ... .

Sergio Pisa

[email protected] (BikeAdman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In my serach for Alp passes above 2000 m., I've just discovered a road near Turin (Torino), from
> Sestriere (2033m) to Finestre (2175m) that is indicated on the maps by a dotted, well, dashed, red
> line indicating the road is either closed or dangerous.
>
> If you have ridden this road, please write me about it: specifically, is it or isn't it paved? Is
> it, or the view from it, pretty?

I haven't been there yet, but I doubt that a pass marked closed/dangerous would be paved at that
heights. Even if it is by some miracle, it surely is in bad condition.

Frank www.plitkorn.com

On 12 Feb 2004, Ferenc Lovro wrote:
> I haven't been there yet, but I doubt that a pass marked closed/dangerous would be paved at that
> heights. Even if it is by some miracle, it surely is in bad condition.

There is indeed a stretch of a few kilometers which is not paved. Judging from reports I read, it
should be quite ridable on a racer, though.

Sergio Pisa