Setting Power meter to % or zone?

novetan

Sep 1, 2012
I just installed a power meter but have taken only 5 rides.

Have you ever set your metering to %FTP or Zone? I understand in sprint, one would like to see absolute figures. I’m referring to long rides and I find the % and zone gives me a range that I’m riding within that sets me on track. I’m not sure, perhaps it’s a matter of time in getting use to seeing spiky figures.

I have both side by side, Power zones and power %, just below Power 3s average Power and NP , it is much easier to look at zones or % during trainer training. And you do not have to remember absolute numbers that are changing during the year at list few times.

Originally Posted by sebo2000
I have both side by side, Power zones and power %, just below Power 3s average Power and NP , it is much easier to look at zones or % during trainer training. And you do not have to remember absolute numbers that are changing during the year at list few times.
Max,

I'm using a power tap.

Sebo,
Tks for your input.

Zone gives you 7 numbers with a big difference in effort from the bottom of one number to the top of that number. Not very interesting.

%FTP is more useful. Watts has move values in a range than %FTP, but may have no better accuracy.

Originally Posted by An old Guy
Zone gives you 7 numbers with a big difference in effort from the bottom of one number to the top of that number. Not very interesting.

%FTP is more useful. Watts has move values in a range than %FTP, but may have no better accuracy.
Most of the modern computers if not all show zones with decimals.

1.2 1.3 1.4 etc. it is not just 3 for zone 3. example my Threshold power is displayed with 3.9W accuracy. Interesting because it is much easier to sty in that zone then looking at the number range.