Setting the correct derailleur cable length?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
    this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
    cable length the first time?

    Help the feeble retard!
    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
    > this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
    > cable length the first time?
    >
    > Help the feeble retard!

    A couple of (tongue & cheek) ideas...
    - Route the cable from brake lever/shifter to the
    derailleur, going through cable stops, noodles, housing,
    caps, etc.
    - Measure it against an old cable that you're replacing.

    I'm no shop jock....

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

  3. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >> I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time
    >> doing this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the
    >> proper cable length the first time?
    >>
    >> Help the feeble retard!
    >> --
    >> Slacker

    Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
    snip the excess...?

    --

    FlyingCoyote

    --

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    FlyingCoyote wrote:

    > In news:[email protected],
    > Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >
    >>>I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time
    >>>doing this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the
    >>>proper cable length the first time?
    >>>
    >>>Help the feeble retard!
    >>>--
    >>>Slacker
    >

    > Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
    > snip the excess...?

    Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)

    Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
    stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
    running full length hsg.

    Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
    whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to pull/slacken
    the cable? Does this make sense?

    I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
    way ghey video like 5 times!
    --
    Slacker

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > FlyingCoyote wrote:
    >

    >>In news:[email protected],
    >>Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >>Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
    >>snip the excess...?
    >>

    > Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
    >
    > Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
    > stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
    > running full length hsg.

    Do you have to run full length? No sections of cable
    stops at all?

    > Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
    > whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
    > pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?

    I don't quite get you. When I put my 5 Spot together the
    derailer cables were one of the least time consuming
    tasks of all.

    I screw the adjusters at the shifter and at the derailer all
    the way in. I put the shifter in the gear that is the
    natural resting place, small front chainring or small rear
    cog. I pull the inner wire as tight as possible and tighten
    the anchor nut. I turn one of the adjusters until the
    derailer is lined up with the smallest cog or smallest
    chainring. I set the lower limit screws. I shift to the
    largest cog or largest chainring and set the upper limit
    screw. I ride (the derailers were last).

    Greg

  6. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
    >
    > Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
    > stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
    > running full length hsg.
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
    > whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
    > pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
    >
    > I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
    > way ghey video like 5 times!

    Okay, I didn't watch the video, but I still don't
    understand the question. And isn't a noodle the little
    thingy used with v-brakes? Okay, I've established I'm no
    genius, but here goes....

    I think this may help: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/-
    howfix_frontderailleur.shtml . Check out the section
    entitled *Front Derailleur - Adjusting L-screw*. I think
    that may help with the sequence.

    Ghey or not, front derailleur adjustments suck.

    Tom

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    G.T. wrote:

    > I screw the adjusters at the shifter and at the derailer
    > all the way
    > in. I put the shifter in the gear that is the natural
    > resting place, small front chainring or small rear
    > cog. I pull the inner wire as tight as possible and
    > tighten the anchor nut. I turn one of the adjusters
    > until the derailer is lined up with the smallest cog
    > or smallest chainring. I set the lower limit screws.
    > I shift to the largest cog or largest chainring and
    > set the upper limit screw. I ride (the derailers were
    > last).
    >
    > Greg

    Hey, that'll work... thx!
    --
    Slacker - Mt Wilson here I come

  8. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > FlyingCoyote wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
    > stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
    > running full length hsg.
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
    > whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
    > pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
    >
    > I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
    > way ghey video like 5 times!
    > --
    > Slacker

    The master, Miles Todd, taught me so............

    with the cable either not attached or so slack that it has
    no input on the derrailleur let the derrailleur hang at the
    limit. you'll be in the small cog in the rear or small
    chainring in the front. Then, mess around with the limits if
    you need to. dial the limit in so that it stops just where
    you want it.

    now, manually swing the derrailleur to the other extreme and
    set the other limit as close as you can get it. assuming the
    chain is still attached, you'll need to pedal while moving
    the derrailleur so it can get a bit tricky but just be
    patient. the front gets hard because you'll inevitably get a
    finger caught in or near the chain once but just be careful!

    after the limits are set, let the derrailleur hang free of
    any tension and attach the cable. pull on the cable nice and
    tight and tighten the screw. at this point, the limits are
    set and the cable should be the optimum length. you just
    need to adjust the indexing to shift properly. you shouldn't
    need to adjust the length of the cable unless it slips. you
    should only need to mess with the barrel nuts on the shifter
    and/or rear derrailleur at this point. when working on the
    rear, make the adjustments at the rear derrailleur so that
    you can always fine tune it while riding using the adjuster
    on the shifter.

    when it's just not working for me I simply loosen the cable
    all the way and start over.

    I'm sure if I messed a step up somebody will flog me
    mercilessly but it makes sense to me!

    Michael

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
    > this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
    > cable length the first
    time?

    > Help the feeble retard!

    Right, well, first thing on the list would be, 'become
    somewhat less stupid'. The rest then, should come naturally.

    HTH, HAND!

    Shaun aRe

  10. Slacker wrote:

    > FlyingCoyote wrote:
    >

    >>In news:[email protected],
    >>Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >>Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
    >>snip the excess...?
    >>

    > Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
    >
    > Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
    > stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
    > running full length hsg.
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
    > whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
    > pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
    >
    > I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
    > way ghey video like 5 times!
    > --
    > Slacker

    It might make sense. When I install new cables, usually at
    the beginning of the season, I set the adjustment barrel of
    the deraillure to the about the middle, middle chain ring on
    the front, big cog on the rear, get the cable as close as
    possible. Then when you work through all the rear cogs, you
    can adjust the barrel in either direction (more or less
    tension) as necessary (because you originally set it in the
    middle. I have found that somewhere around the middle cog I
    want to eyeball up the chain/deraillure-cage/cog to make
    sure they are all inline, from behind. That usually gets you
    pretty close, after that only do small adjustments as you
    work through all the gears, large and small chainrings
    should not make a difference.

    Front deraillure is similar.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I go along with the Flying Coyote. It works every time and I
    did it to 3 bikes in the last few weeks.

    I MTB 2004

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:45:23 -0800, Slacker <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
    >this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
    >cable length the first time?

    Yes, get rid of the fscking derailleur!

    >Help the feeble retard!

    No problem.

    Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
    rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
    immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]