Setting the correct derailleur cable length?

Slacker

Guest
I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
cable length the first time?

Help the feeble retard!
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
> this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
> cable length the first time?
>
> Help the feeble retard!

A couple of (tongue & cheek) ideas...
- Route the cable from brake lever/shifter to the
derailleur, going through cable stops, noodles, housing,
caps, etc.
- Measure it against an old cable that you're replacing.

I'm no shop jock....

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

In news:[email protected],
Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:
>> I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time
>> doing this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the
>> proper cable length the first time?
>>
>> Help the feeble retard!
>> --
>> Slacker

Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
snip the excess...?

--

FlyingCoyote

--

FlyingCoyote wrote:

> In news:[email protected],
> Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
>>>I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time
>>>doing this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the
>>>proper cable length the first time?
>>>
>>>Help the feeble retard!
>>>--
>>>Slacker
>

> Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
> snip the excess...?

Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)

Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
running full length hsg.

Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to pull/slacken
the cable? Does this make sense?

I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
way ghey video like 5 times!
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> FlyingCoyote wrote:
>

>>In news:[email protected],
>>Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:

>>Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
>>snip the excess...?
>>

> Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
>
> Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
> stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
> running full length hsg.

Do you have to run full length? No sections of cable
stops at all?

> Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
> whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
> pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?

I don't quite get you. When I put my 5 Spot together the
derailer cables were one of the least time consuming
tasks of all.

I screw the adjusters at the shifter and at the derailer all
the way in. I put the shifter in the gear that is the
natural resting place, small front chainring or small rear
cog. I pull the inner wire as tight as possible and tighten
the anchor nut. I turn one of the adjusters until the
derailer is lined up with the smallest cog or smallest
chainring. I set the lower limit screws. I shift to the
largest cog or largest chainring and set the upper limit
screw. I ride (the derailers were last).

Greg

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
>
> Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
> stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
> running full length hsg.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
> whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
> pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
>
> I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
> way ghey video like 5 times!

Okay, I didn't watch the video, but I still don't
understand the question. And isn't a noodle the little
thingy used with v-brakes? Okay, I've established I'm no
genius, but here goes....

I think this may help: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/-
howfix_frontderailleur.shtml . Check out the section
entitled *Front Derailleur - Adjusting L-screw*. I think
that may help with the sequence.

Ghey or not, front derailleur adjustments suck.

Tom

G.T. wrote:

> I screw the adjusters at the shifter and at the derailer
> all the way
> in. I put the shifter in the gear that is the natural
> resting place, small front chainring or small rear
> cog. I pull the inner wire as tight as possible and
> tighten the anchor nut. I turn one of the adjusters
> until the derailer is lined up with the smallest cog
> or smallest chainring. I set the lower limit screws.
> I shift to the largest cog or largest chainring and
> set the upper limit screw. I ride (the derailers were
> last).
>
> Greg

Hey, that'll work... thx!
--
Slacker - Mt Wilson here I come

> FlyingCoyote wrote:

<SNIP>

> Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
> stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
> running full length hsg.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
> whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
> pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
>
> I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
> way ghey video like 5 times!
> --
> Slacker

The master, Miles Todd, taught me so............

with the cable either not attached or so slack that it has
no input on the derrailleur let the derrailleur hang at the
limit. you'll be in the small cog in the rear or small
chainring in the front. Then, mess around with the limits if
you need to. dial the limit in so that it stops just where
you want it.

now, manually swing the derrailleur to the other extreme and
set the other limit as close as you can get it. assuming the
chain is still attached, you'll need to pedal while moving
the derrailleur so it can get a bit tricky but just be
patient. the front gets hard because you'll inevitably get a
finger caught in or near the chain once but just be careful!

after the limits are set, let the derrailleur hang free of
any tension and attach the cable. pull on the cable nice and
tight and tighten the screw. at this point, the limits are
set and the cable should be the optimum length. you just
need to adjust the indexing to shift properly. you shouldn't
need to adjust the length of the cable unless it slips. you
should only need to mess with the barrel nuts on the shifter
and/or rear derrailleur at this point. when working on the
rear, make the adjustments at the rear derrailleur so that
you can always fine tune it while riding using the adjuster
on the shifter.

when it's just not working for me I simply loosen the cable
all the way and start over.

I'm sure if I messed a step up somebody will flog me
mercilessly but it makes sense to me!

Michael

> I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
> this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
> cable length the first
time?

> Help the feeble retard!

Right, well, first thing on the list would be, 'become
somewhat less stupid'. The rest then, should come naturally.

HTH, HAND!

Shaun aRe

Slacker wrote:

> FlyingCoyote wrote:
>

>>In news:[email protected],
>>Slacker <[email protected]> scribbled:

>>Why don't you just route the cable, tune it up, etc, then
>>snip the excess...?
>>

> Ok, you guys are pissing me off now ;^)
>
> Maybe I worded it wrong. I already have the routing and
> stuff down. And what the heck is a noodle ?? BTW, I'm
> running full length hsg.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to get to: When or how do you know
> whether to keep trying to adjust the der or to
> pull/slacken the cable? Does this make sense?
>
> I know it sounds stupid, but Miles just made me watch that
> way ghey video like 5 times!
> --
> Slacker

It might make sense. When I install new cables, usually at
the beginning of the season, I set the adjustment barrel of
the deraillure to the about the middle, middle chain ring on
the front, big cog on the rear, get the cable as close as
possible. Then when you work through all the rear cogs, you
can adjust the barrel in either direction (more or less
tension) as necessary (because you originally set it in the
middle. I have found that somewhere around the middle cog I
want to eyeball up the chain/deraillure-cage/cog to make
sure they are all inline, from behind. That usually gets you
pretty close, after that only do small adjustments as you
work through all the gears, large and small chainrings
should not make a difference.

Front deraillure is similar.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

I go along with the Flying Coyote. It works every time and I
did it to 3 bikes in the last few weeks.

I MTB 2004

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:45:23 -0800, Slacker <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I don't know why, but I always have a difficult time doing
>this. Is there a technique or tip for getting the proper
>cable length the first time?

Yes, get rid of the fscking derailleur!

>Help the feeble retard!

No problem.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]