Setting up a cycling garage/storage area

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I'm building a house which will have a double garage. There will be 2 cars in the garage, but one of them is very small, and will only take up 2/3 of 1 side. In the remaining space, I want to construct the ultimate bike area to store, admire and work on my bikes.

If you were doing this, what sorts of cool things would you include. I have 3 bikes, multiple wheelsets and lots of parts. I'm not an advanced mechanic, so I just do the typical minor adjustments and servicing.

My current thoughts are:
- Work bench
- Bench mounted repair stand
- Wheel truing stand
- Draws in the bench for tools, parts and clothes
- Shelf on the wall for cycling magazines and other parts
- Wall mounted bike rack (need to cater 3 bikes) - I like the racks that hold 2 bikes, 1 low, 1 up high
- Rods to hold wheelsets - I was thinking of bolting some rods perpendicular to the wall, so I can hang the wheels on them for easy access/switching.

What other sorts of things would be good? I've never had the luxury of having this much room.

Reactions: pixgermany01
Walrus said:
I'm building a house which will have a double garage. There will be 2 cars in the garage, but one of them is very small, and will only take up 2/3 of 1 side. In the remaining space, I want to construct the ultimate bike area to store, admire and work on my bikes.

If you were doing this, what sorts of cool things would you include. I have 3 bikes, multiple wheelsets and lots of parts. I'm not an advanced mechanic, so I just do the typical minor adjustments and servicing.

My current thoughts are:
- Work bench
- Wheel truing stand
- Wall mounted bike rack (need to cater 3 bikes) - I like the racks that hold 2 bikes, 1 low, 1 up high
- Rods to hold wheelsets - I was thinking of bolting some rods perpendicular to the wall, so I can hang the wheels on them for easy access/switching.

What other sorts of things would be good? I've never had the luxury of having this much room.
1. I think that storing the bikes drives everything else. I hang mine by either the front or rear wheels. That's pretty compact but they still stick out about 4' from the wall.

2. Think about your floor surface. It's good to have something that it's easy to clean chain lube off of. It's also nice to have something that makes it easy to find all of the little screws and ball bearings and such that you drop so the new speckled garage floor surfaces might not be so great.

3. I mounted my wheel trueing stand onto a piece of board. That makes it portable so it's not in the way when I'm not using it.

4. There is no such thing as too much light.

5. Bench grinder but don't use it on aluminum. I have a wire wheel on one side of mine that I use for deburring steerer tubes and the like.

6. I hang spare wheels from individual ceiling hooks. Actually I hang them between my bikes so they don't take up any additional room. Individual hooks lets you grab just the one that you want.

7. A good, solid bench vise. Make sure it's at least 15" from the wall so that you can clamp a wheel horizontally.

Have you realized your dream yet? I would like to see I too have two cars and two bikes. Right now I'm looking for ideas on how to make the perfect garage for myself.

My current thoughts are:
- Work bench
- Wheel truing stand

Have you already fulfilled your dream? I'd love to see your garage. I also have two cars and two bikes. Currently looking for ideas on how to make the perfect garage for myself.

My current thoughts are:
- Work bench
- Wheel truing stand
- Shelf on the wall for cycling magazines Southside Concrete Polishing

We are all waiting for nice pictures!

Bikes stored safely and easy to get to in your garage are more likely to be ridden.these bike storage solution offer something for everyone-wheather u ride on a bike everyday or just take it out on weekend when the weather is nice.

Hey there! That sounds like an awesome project, and a great opportunity to create a cyclist's dream garage! ‍♂️ I'd definitely recommend including a sturdy work bench for those minor adjustments and servicing tasks. It's also a good idea to have some shelves or cabinets for storage, to keep your parts and tools organized. A bike rack or hoist can help maximize vertical space, and a cleaning station with a hose and brushes will make it easy to keep your bikes looking shiny and new. And don't forget some comfy seating and good lighting, so you can enjoy your bike area in style. Happy building!

A work bench is a given, but don't forget a sturdy bike stand to hold your steeds upright while you tinker. And speaking of tinkering, a well-stocked tool kit is a must, including Allen wrenches, pedal wrenches, and cable cutters.

As for storage, consider wall-mounted hooks or a pulley system to keep your bikes off the floor and your space organized. And don't forget a place to display your helmets and jerseys with pride.

And while you may not be an advanced mechanic, having a repair stand with a built-in bike holder will make even the simplest adjustments a breeze. Trust me, your back will thank you.

But most importantly, make sure your ultimate bike area is well-ventilated and well-lit. You don't want to be squinting in the dark while trying to true a wheel or change a tire.

And remember, the ultimate bike area is a place to express your love for cycling, so make it your own and have fun with it! ;)

Absolutely! A well-ventilated and well-lit space is key for comfortable and efficient bike maintenance. And don't forget about the flooring - a rubber mat can protect your floors and reduce noise. Additionally, consider adding a magnetic parts tray to your workbench to keep small parts organized and within reach. And above all, make sure your bike area reflects your personality and love for cycling. Happy tinkering! ;)