Setting up a cycling garage/storage area

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Walrus, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I'm building a house which will have a double garage. There will be 2 cars in the garage, but one of them is very small, and will only take up 2/3 of 1 side. In the remaining space, I want to construct the ultimate bike area to store, admire and work on my bikes.

If you were doing this, what sorts of cool things would you include. I have 3 bikes, multiple wheelsets and lots of parts. I'm not an advanced mechanic, so I just do the typical minor adjustments and servicing.

My current thoughts are:
    - Work bench
    - Bench mounted repair stand
    - Wheel truing stand
    - Draws in the bench for tools, parts and clothes
    - Shelf on the wall for cycling magazines and other parts
    - Wall mounted bike rack (need to cater 3 bikes) - I like the racks that hold 2 bikes, 1 low, 1 up high
    - Rods to hold wheelsets - I was thinking of bolting some rods perpendicular to the wall, so I can hang the wheels on them for easy access/switching.

What other sorts of things would be good? I've never had the luxury of having this much room.

Tags:
    pixgermany01 likes this.

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

1. I think that storing the bikes drives everything else. I hang mine by either the front or rear wheels. That's pretty compact but they still stick out about 4' from the wall.

2. Think about your floor surface. It's good to have something that it's easy to clean chain lube off of. It's also nice to have something that makes it easy to find all of the little screws and ball bearings and such that you drop so the new speckled garage floor surfaces might not be so great.

3. I mounted my wheel trueing stand onto a piece of board. That makes it portable so it's not in the way when I'm not using it.

4. There is no such thing as too much light.

5. Bench grinder but don't use it on aluminum. I have a wire wheel on one side of mine that I use for deburring steerer tubes and the like.

6. I hang spare wheels from individual ceiling hooks. Actually I hang them between my bikes so they don't take up any additional room. Individual hooks lets you grab just the one that you want.

7. A good, solid bench vise. Make sure it's at least 15" from the wall so that you can clamp a wheel horizontally.

pixgermany01 likes this.
  3. TimothyPolini

TimothyPolini New Member

Have you already fulfilled your dream? I'd love to see your garage. I also have two cars and two bikes. Currently looking for ideas on how to make the perfect garage for myself.

pixgermany01 likes this.
  4. TimothyPolini

TimothyPolini New Member

We are all waiting for nice pictures!

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Well he hasn't made a post in over 11 years. I would not expect much at this points

6. saumax22

saumax22 New Member

Bikes stored safely and easy to get to in your garage are more likely to be ridden.these bike storage solution offer something for everyone-wheather u ride on a bike everyday or just take it out on weekend when the weather is nice.