Setting up a Park wheel truing stand.

I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the
wheel.

At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then
put a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.

BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
machine.

When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about
how to do this.

If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Lewis.

*****

On Mar 15, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the
> wheel.
>
> At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then
> put a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.
>
> BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> machine.
>
> When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about
> how to do this.
>
> If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

The procedure is outlined in the instruction sheet that comes with a
TS-2. However, IME, what you are experiecing is par for the course: if
you adjust the "auto-centering" to be correct for at 100mm OLD of a
front wheel, it will be off when you put in a 126/130/135mm OLD rear.
I use an alignment (aka, "dishing") tool to center the wheels.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:17:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the wheel.
>
> At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then put
> a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.
>
> BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> machine.
>
> When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about how
> to do this.
>
> If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****

The instructions are on the Park website:

http://parktool.com/repair/readinstructions.asp?id=135

On Mar 15, 3:45 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the
> > wheel.

> > At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then
> > put a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.

> > BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> > machine.

> > When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about
> > how to do this.

> > If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

> The procedure is outlined in the instruction sheet that comes with a
> TS-2. However, IME, what you are experiecing is par for the course: if
> you adjust the "auto-centering" to be correct for at 100mm OLD of a
> front wheel, it will be off when you put in a 126/130/135mm OLD rear.
> I use an alignment (aka, "dishing") tool to center the wheels.

Thanks, I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer but it is.

I'm just trying fix this stand to help someone. Now I guess its going
to be a whole new learning experience for them.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

On Mar 15, 4:25 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:17:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the wheel.

> > At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then put
> > a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.

> > BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> > machine.

> > When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about how
> > to do this.

> > If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

> > Thanks.

> > Lewis.

> > *****

> The instructions are on the Park website:
>
> http://parktool.com/repair/readinstructions.asp?id=135

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

Notably, they include, "for the most accurate work, TS-2 should be
used with a dishing tool" in the text.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

On Mar 15, 6:45 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 3:45 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the
> > > wheel.

> > > At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then
> > > put a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.

> > > BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> > > machine.

> > > When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about
> > > how to do this.

> > > If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

> > The procedure is outlined in the instruction sheet that comes with a
> > TS-2. However, IME, what you are experiecing is par for the course: if
> > you adjust the "auto-centering" to be correct for at 100mm OLD of a
> > front wheel, it will be off when you put in a 126/130/135mm OLD rear.
> > I use an alignment (aka, "dishing") tool to center the wheels.

> Thanks, I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer but it is.
>
> I'm just trying fix this stand to help someone. Now I guess its going
> to be a whole new learning experience for them.

Unfortunately, there is no "fix", the behavior you described is par
for the course with a TS-2. You can constantly re-adjust the "auto-
centering" , but it is really kinda pointless. Just use an alignment
guage ("dishing tool").

On Mar 15, 6:46 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 4:25 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:17:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > > I have a Park 'TS-2' wheel truing stand that doesn't 'center' the wheel.

> > > At least, if I set it up and center it on a front wheel, when I then put
> > > a rear wheel in the stand, the center is off quite noticeably.

> > > BTW, I tried this with wheels that I had centered correctly in my own
> > > machine.

> > > When I look at the Park website, I don't see any instructions about how
> > > to do this.

> > > If you can tell me how this should be done I would appreciate it.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Lewis.

> > > *****

> > The instructions are on the Park website:

> >http://parktool.com/repair/readinstructions.asp?id=135

> Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
>
> Notably, they include, "for the most accurate work, TS-2 should be
> used with a dishing tool" in the text.

Yep..... :)

> Kind regards.
>
> Lewis.

On Mar 15, 7:44 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 6:45 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 15, 3:45 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The procedure is outlined in the instruction sheet that comes with a
> > > TS-2. However, IME, what you are experiecing is par for the course: if
> > > you adjust the "auto-centering" to be correct for at 100mm OLD of a
> > > front wheel, it will be off when you put in a 126/130/135mm OLD rear.
> > > I use an alignment (aka, "dishing") tool to center the wheels.

> > Thanks, I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer but it is.

> > I'm just trying fix this stand to help someone. Now I guess its going
> > to be a whole new learning experience for them.

> Unfortunately, there is no "fix", the behavior you described is par
> for the course with a TS-2. You can constantly re-adjust the "auto-
> centering" , but it is really kinda pointless. Just use an alignment
> guage ("dishing tool").
>

> > Kind regards.

> > Lewis.

I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
has for years.

On Mar 16, 8:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 15, 7:44 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 6:45 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks, I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer but it is.

> > > I'm just trying fix this stand to help someone. Now I guess its going
> > > to be a whole new learning experience for them.

> > Unfortunately, there is no "fix", the behavior you described is par
> > for the course with a TS-2. You can constantly re-adjust the "auto-
> > centering" , but it is really kinda pointless. Just use an alignment
> > guage ("dishing tool").

> > > Kind regards.

> > > Lewis.

> I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
> has for years

Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mar 16, 8:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 15, 7:44 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Unfortunately, there is no "fix", the behavior you described is par
>> > for the course with a TS-2. You can constantly re-adjust the "auto-
>> > centering" , but it is really kinda pointless. Just use an alignment
>> > guage ("dishing tool").

>> I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
>> has for years

> Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
> will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
> the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

I don't run a bicycle shop so am way down the feeding chain on this,
and only build my own wheels, but that (Ozark) is my experience with
the thing. I spent a great deal of effort trying to tweak the TS-2 in
just right, but failed to obsolete the dishing tool to my
satisfaction, although it's very convenient for getting the wheel
close to perfectly dished without the dishing tool, I'd never actually
ride a wheel without that final little tweak with the dishing tool.
Any given wheel might require about a 1/4 - 1/8 nipple turn to
laterally move the rim right or left. Of course some say don't bother
with adjustments < 1/4 turn, but if you're tensioning at or slightly
below manufacturers specs (I've suffered the rim cracks on 36-hole
Open Pro cranked down too hard) and locktighting you may as well get
it right because you'll never have to adjust it again, and I really
hate adjusting the brakes every time I swap out a wheel.

Bill Westphal

On Mar 16, 8:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 15, 7:44 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, there is no "fix", the behavior you described is par
> > > for the course with a TS-2. You can constantly re-adjust the "auto-
> > > centering" , but it is really kinda pointless. Just use an alignment
> > > guage ("dishing tool").

> > I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
> > has for years

> Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
> will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
> the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

Just telling what I see and I build a coupla hundred wheels a year...I
check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
truing stand..

On Mar 17, 7:45 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 16, 8:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
> > > has for years

> > Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
> > will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
> > the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

> Just telling what I see and I build a coupla hundred wheels a year...I
> check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
> truing stand

I'm not doubting your experience. BUT, I just checked my TS-2 *again*,
just to be sure. It "auto-centers" on 100mm OLD front wheels just fine
(and that adjustment does seem to 'last'), but it is off a bit on a
130mm OLD rear. And, in the past, if I re-set the "auto-centering" to
be accurate on a rear wheel, it is off a bit on a front. I gave up
fooling with it long ago; I use the "auto-centering" as a rough guide
only and, like you, use an alignment tool.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
..I
>> check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
>> truing stand

> I'm not doubting your experience. BUT, I just checked my TS-2 *again*,
> just to be sure. It "auto-centers" on 100mm OLD front wheels just fine
> (and that adjustment does seem to 'last'), but it is off a bit on a
> 130mm OLD rear. And, in the past, if I re-set the "auto-centering" to
> be accurate on a rear wheel, it is off a bit on a front. I gave up
> fooling with it long ago; I use the "auto-centering" as a rough guide
> only and, like you, use an alignment tool.

And when you do a 20" rim it's different again!

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Mar 17, 8:10 am, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>
> .I
>
> >> check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
> >> truing stand

> > I'm not doubting your experience. BUT, I just checked my TS-2 *again*,
> > just to be sure. It "auto-centers" on 100mm OLD front wheels just fine
> > (and that adjustment does seem to 'last'), but it is off a bit on a
> > 130mm OLD rear. And, in the past, if I re-set the "auto-centering" to
> > be accurate on a rear wheel, it is off a bit on a front. I gave up
> > fooling with it long ago; I use the "auto-centering" as a rough guide
> > only and, like you, use an alignment tool.

> And when you do a 20" rim it's different again!

Yep, that, too!

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 8:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
>>> has for years

>> Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
>> will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
>> the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

> Just telling what I see and I build a coupla hundred wheels a year...I
> check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
> truing stand..

i'll swap you for my ts2 and $50! mine is off about 1.5mm between 100mm
and 130mm wheels. my campy dishing tool is my best friend.

>> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I use a dishing tool to check my TS-2, but it is and stays 'dished',
>>> has for years

> "Ozark Bicycle"> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hmm....IME, if you set the "auto-centering" at 100mm (front wheel), it
>> will be off a bit at 130mm (rear wheel). And the reverse is true. IMO,
>> the so called "auto-centering" is a rough guideline, at best.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Just telling what I see and I build a coupla hundred wheels a year...I
> check with a Campag dishing tool, but seldom have to readjust the
> truing stand..

If you flip the wheel over periodically while building, the dish tool
check at the end should hold no surprises. In any any stand. Or built in
a fork/bike.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org