Setting up Speedplay pedals and cleats for a new user

cochris

Jun 14, 2012
I just made the switch from my old Keos to Speedplay Zero (I was tired of wearing out the Keo cleats). I cannot seem to get the cleat adjusted to easily snap into the pedal. I've lubed the cleat and backed out the screws so that the screw heads are flush with the bottom plate of the cleat. And still it's very difficult to click into the pedal. I literally have to stomp on it. Many people have recommended this pedal to me but I can't seem to get the tension adjusted correctly. What am i missing here?

Did you install the cleat on a mounting plate using the correct shims for your shoes? If so, the c-clip engagement part should be free to rotate inside the cleat. If it's binding due to warping of the cleat body when the screws are tightened on a less-than-flat surface, clip-in will be difficult or impossible. Even with the proper mounting, the cleats will be a bit tight when new, but they should loosen up in a few rides.

Thanks. I had to play with them a bit to get them to work. I took the whole setup back to the bike shop to make sure it was correct. I guess they just need some break in time. I put 60 miles on them today and they are getting easier. There is a small sweet spot where they click right in.