Setting up suspension

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
Skareb Comp with preload/rebound. I have preload sorted, but what about rebound? How do I
really know how much rebound damping to put on? Usually rooty conditions with mostly smoother
legs in between.

I have some knowledge of road motorcycle damping... does this apply here? Darsh any input?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Skareb Comp with preload/rebound. I have preload sorted, but what about rebound? How do I really
> know how much rebound damping to put on?
Usually
> rooty conditions with mostly smoother legs in between.
>
> I have some knowledge of road motorcycle damping... does this apply here? Darsh any input?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Too much rebound damping: fork will blow through its travel on short stutter bumps - like lots of
roots at speed. Not enough: pogo city. Right: somewhere in between - usually just enough so it won't
blow through its travel, and then maybe a little more depending on personal preference.

Jon Bond

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Skareb Comp with preload/rebound. I have preload sorted, but what about rebound? How do I really
> know how much rebound damping to put on?
Usually
> rooty conditions with mostly smoother legs in between.
>
> I have some knowledge of road motorcycle damping... does this apply here? Darsh any input?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I've got the same forks. I'm damned if I can see a whole lot of effect adjusting the damping on
these puppies. As the good Commander said, you don't want the rebound being too slow. Otherwise, it
will compress 2 steps, rebound 1 step and then compress another 2 steps with each successive hit on
those roots of yours. It ends up bottoming out before it's had a chance to extend between hits. Nor
do you want it to extend so fast that you bounce up and down like a Jack-in-the-Box.

I guess if you translate that, try less damping for a lot of fast hard hits like roots or rocks, and
more damping for single, big hits. Try dropping off a kerb or rolling over some planks laid across a
lawn to get a feel for what it's doing. The biggest difference for me with the damn things was
putting a firm ride kit in them. But then I weight considerably more than you too.
--
Westie

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Skareb Comp with preload/rebound. I have preload sorted, but what about rebound? How do I really
> know how much rebound damping to put on? Usually rooty conditions with mostly smoother legs in
> between.
>
> I have some knowledge of road motorcycle damping... does this apply here? Darsh any input?

How much did you have to monkey with your motorcycle suspension to get it right? Experiment a bit
and you'll find the right setup.

JD

Phil says:

> Skareb Comp with preload/rebound. I have preload sorted, but what about rebound? How do I really
> know how much rebound damping to put on? Usually rooty conditions with mostly smoother legs in
> between.

I knew there was a reason I still rode something with no sus. I _do_ know what I'm missing.. ;-)

Steve