Seven Axiom: Mine.

mikem

Jul 17, 2003
After much going back and forth on brands, models and such, I've decided on the following:

axiomL.jpg

http://sevencycles.com/accessories/moldedfork.html

http://sevencycles.com/accessories/tistem.html

http://sevencycles.com/accessories/carbonseatpost.html

http://sevencycles.com/accessories/headsetspacers.html

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_nts.html

Ultegra set from my current ride, all in mint condition.

Quite stoked.

Originally posted by Cipher
Congrats Mike! Give us some pixs after you get it. ;)

Thanks guys, will do! I'm also going to Seven to watch the frame being welded (hopefully). If they allow me, I will video tape it.

:)

Oh come now....that's caviar....spring for the 2004 Campy Record group!

LOL! Well said. I'm not totally convinced I need that, but maybe next year's bday present? For now, I'm already considering the Ksyrium's (current wheels are Shimano 540's).

Originally posted by mikem
LOL! Well said. I'm not totally convinced I need that, but maybe next year's bday present? For now, I'm already considering the Ksyrium's (current wheels are Shimano 540's).

for a more unique wheelset go with the topolinos! ;)

Thanks... MAN THOSE ARE HOT WHEELS!

But I have to ask - is it a company that will stand by their product as much as Mavic does/will?

Thanks... MAN THOSE ARE HOT WHEELS!

But I have to ask - is it a company that will stand by their product as much as Mavic does/will?
I had looked into Topolinos for a while, and emailed the company -- it's a reassuringly small place, from what I can tell. One of the co-founders got in touch with me.

There's still some skepticism about these wheels out there, but I've only heard things from satisfied users, and all the published reviews have been fawning. A broken spoke might be a nightmare, but no-one's seemed to break any yet...

Definitely let us know if you try them. They're new enough and exotic enough that it'll take a few more brave souls to really develop a reputation for them among cyclists, good or bad. Care to volunteer?

;)

Originally posted by lokstah
Care to volunteer?

;)

LOL!

Nah thanks. I'm already volunteering enough "danger" by putting my own bike together in an overhaul class.

I'm going with the SSC SL's. I'm sure they'll be fine and I like that Mavic seems to stand by their products.

LOL!

Nah thanks. I'm already volunteering enough "danger" by putting my own bike together in an overhaul class.

I'm going with the SSC SL's. I'm sure they'll be fine and I like that Mavic seems to stand by their products.
Sigh.

Well, as much as I'm 1) sure that the Topolinos are sturdy and reliable enough, and 2) disappointed in your unwillingness to be my lab rat, I have to confess...

I've already done the same thing. I thought hard about the lovely Topolinos but bought a pair or '04 SLs about a month ago. Oh well.

I'm already volunteering enough "danger" by putting my own bike together in an overhaul class.

easy stuff. nothing to worry about. only mildly tricky things would be BB & HS install/adjustment. really. and if you're in a class, then there's even less!

now that we've established there is minimal or no danger, how 'bout those topos?!? ;)

j/k

Phew! I was this close (I'm holding my fingers really close together) to just coughing up the $200 to the mechanic to do it all. I needed that reassurance - besides, I asked and they said THEY will cut the fork, etc. for me - won't leave me hanging. For the same $200 I'm getting a great edumication!

Still going with the Mav's though (2004 silver - wanted the 2003 blacks, but no one has them). But those Topo's sure DO look sweet! Seven suggested they would be a good match for what I'm doing with the bike.

You guys rock - I should have an assembled bike on Feb. 29th (but who's counting). Just in time for another Boston area ice storm!

UPDATE: I've decided to go with the aluminum seat post and stem (saving about $350.00 - which is going towards those wheels). Unless Seven suggests they need to use the Ti stem for tweakability - I didn't see that the extra money was really buying me much. I'm guessing I would not be able to tell the diff between the alum and carbon seat post at least.

For what its worth I would take a good look at the Campy Neutrons - I replaced my Ksyriums with these and they are a better wheel in my pinion (close though) with a bit more class than the ever present Ksyrium (although these were very good - had 02s and 03 ssls)

Good luck

Well, today I watched my own frame being welded at Seven Cycles!

However, due to all the hush hush technology there, I couldn't take a picture of it, but here's a shot of the spare Ti bits ;-)

CF vs Al seatpost.... you can definitely tell the diff, about the same as forks, IMO. The longer the exposed seatpost, the more CF takes road vibe out.

One of the reasons I was going with alum is that the Seven aluminum seat post's clamp is much sturdier. But now I'm wondering if I'd be better off with carbon. Wish I could try both - cost is the same actually. Guess I'll talk to Seven about it some more, thanks.

Hey mike. I'm thinking seriously about an axiom also. I was between the merkyx team sc and the c40 when my surly LBS owner started talking to me about seven's. I'd seen a few around and knew their reputation, but had never ridden one. Now, as soon as it warms up, I'm going for a test ride and hopefully continue the process of ordering one. One question I'm debating is what I saw you post about all the extra's. With Campy record and the frame and fork, I'm in at around 5000 (using my current kysirium wheel - love them!). If I start adding all seven's goodies (stem, seatpost...) the price starts to really climb. What's their theory on that stuff? Do they factor it into the design of your bike (what stem and handlebars you're going to use)? What other bikes did you look at?
Thanks, and let's hope both of us end up with the bike of our dreams.
Eric