Seven Axiom: Mine.

Originally posted by moosemorrised
Hey mike. I'm thinking seriously about an axiom also. I was between the merkyx team sc and the c40 when my surly LBS owner started talking to me about seven's.

In my case, I have been riding a 1999 Specialized Allez M4 Pro (pictured) and experiencing several fit related issues (not the bike's fault - more the fault of the LSB I bought it at). Turns out I have short legs for my height and it was when I started talking about "selling this bike and getting a new one" that a different LSB sales guy suggested a Seven.
[BTW: that Specialized's frame is for sale - I hear it preferred by Tri people so if you know anyone, it's a 52cm in perfect condition]

I'd seen a few around and knew their reputation, but had never ridden one. Now, as soon as it warms up, I'm going for a test ride and hopefully continue the process of ordering one.

Honestly, I didn't even test ride one. The one Seven they had at the time was a comfort bike (Muse) and I didn't see the point. They can set you up on the bike fit-wise, but it won't ride like YOUR'S will (unless you happen to prefer the ride of the demo bike). All you really need with a Seven is to know what you don't like about your current bike, what you desire in a new bike or both.

They have an incredibly intricate fit system that is basically:

1) Bike shop measures and interviews you (taking 3 sets of each measurement and averaging them to be sure)

2) Bike shop sends stats (and measurements of current bike) and answers to Seven

3) Seven verifies measurements
(In my case I had to go back to the LSB for re-measure at Seven's suggestion. They didn't believe my legs were that short. I'm built a bit like George Costanza).

4) Seven schedules phone interview with you (as long as it takes!) covering riding preferences, desired attributes in bike for many areas, etc. In my case, I desired a bike that was as stiff as my Allez going up hills, but comfort on bumpy roads. I'm told they can actually design the frame to do that, which is why I went with them. Plus the beauty of a custom fit for quite frankly not much more money... well, that's upside for someone like me.

5) Seven send output of frame design (specs) to LSB

6) You go back to shop and they set you up on a bike using their specs

7) If you are happy, you sign on the dotted line and LSB sends in to Seven for frame creation.

8) You wait anxiously, perhaps satisfying your anxiety (only partly) by going to Seven for a tour (where this author was fortunate to see his frame being welded by the originator of this particular welding process (from Merlin) :).

You can do the fitting on line I believe at http://www.sevencycles.com/order/CustomKitFormRoad.html

One question I'm debating is what I saw you post about all the extra's. With Campy record and the frame and fork, I'm in at around 5000 (using my current kysirium wheel - love them!). If I start adding all seven's goodies (stem, seatpost...) the price starts to really climb.

Yeah, it sure does! I expected if I went with all new dura-ace (for example) I'd be looking at $5200. That's why I backed out on the Ti stem. No price difference with carbon seat post really.

In my case, I'm coming in about $2k less than that using groupo, wheels (currently, that may change), handlebar and seat from Allez (all have less than 1000 miles).

FYI: Going with the Alaris will cut the cost by about $700 or so.

What's their theory on that stuff? Do they factor it into the design of your bike (what stem and handlebars you're going to use)?

The fork mostly (I went with the new 5E fork - which by the way I got to hold a raw one at Seven and can't believe how light this thing is, felt like thin plastic!). Choosing this fork gives them more flexibility in designing your ride quality/prefs. It's pricey, but it's the fork - it's not like I want to go changing that in the future.

The rest of the choices were more personal. They say that if you go with the Ti stem they can further tune the ride - but for a $250 difference over the aluminum one I'll pass. I simply think that money was better spent elsewhere given my limited budget (perhaps on their carbon bar - which I did not get, figuring I could add it later - but it's $450 or so I think).

What other bikes did you look at?

Trek 5200, 5900, Madone (but couldn't see/ride one live - but heard it was stiff/harsh? Have enough of that with my alum bike). I have tried a co-worker's 5200 and noticed the smooth ride. At first I liked the idea of being able to do their Project 1 ordering with gnarly paint jobs, etc. But soon I realized that I really should get a custom bike considering the various issues I have with the Allez and my body (carpal tunnel, sensitive to vibrations, etc.)

It's possible I would be fine with one of these Trek carbon's, but it's MORE possible I'd be fine with the Seven for my preferences. The 5900 and Madone aren't that far apart in price from getting the Seven when you do what I'm doing (transfer stuff from current bike).

Considered, but didn't ride, Lemond Tete de Course (nice bike!).

One thing to consider, Seven sells a "Signature" size of their frames - basically, ready made off the shelf standard type frame size for people that perhaps want their quality, but don't require or desire the custom fit aspects (or price - you save a bit with these). Something to consider! I'm pretty sure the bike shop will measure you with their kit to see if you can leverage one of these (I couldn't).

Thanks, and let's hope both of us end up with the bike of our dreams.
Eric

Amen to that! My frame will ship next week and my class is scheduled to assemble it a week later - looking forward to riding it in March! If the streets aren't iced...

I'll send pictures when I'm done building it. I have a background in welding (not Ti though) and based the very interesting welding techniques and machinery I saw while there, well, I'm really proud to (almost) own one of these!

My goodness, sounds like I'm a sales guy for them! Sorry, just psyched!

I am in the process of ordering a Seven Alaris. Going to the bike shop tomorrow for the final decisions. Getting a Chris King headset, Seven seatpost, and their molded carbon fork. I'm going with Ultegra groupo. I know it's not as cool as others, but will certainly be good enough for me. Still haven't made a decision on wheels.

To be honest, I really don't tink the bang/buck is worth it for Dura-ace for the kind of riding I do (maybe MOST people do?). Ultegra seems to be at a great price point.

However, I do want to say that I recently tried the Dura 10 sp.... WOW - what a difference in shifting with those levers!

But, still, that's a big chunk of change and I think the money is better spent elsewhere for "ride quality" (wheels, for example).