Seven Carbon Road Fork

Gregg

Guest
I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone has the Seven Carbon Road Fork
and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two components or is there a better
choice for the money?

thanks

"Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone has the Seven Carbon Road
> Fork and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two components or is there a
> better choice for the money?
>
> thanks

IIRC, Seven sources both these from Wound Up, and visually anyway they look exactly the same as
Wound Up's standard articles. So the question might be asked more broadly...what do people think of
Wound Up's products and is there any way they are uniquely suited to Seven's frames?

I test rode an Axiom Ti (on the same day I test rode a Serotta Legend Ti and an Independent Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel). My impression of the Wound Up fork is that it was slightly stiffer than the Reynolds Ouzo Pro that was on the other two bikes. I love the look of the Wound Up fork, and don't have any complaints at all. It's just a matter of personal preference.

thank you

what do people think of Wound Up's products and is there any way they are uniquely suited to
Seven's frames?

news:[email protected]...

Fred Roses wrote:
> "Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone has the Seven Carbon Road
>>Fork and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two components or is there a
>>better choice for the money?
>>
>>thanks
>

> IIRC, Seven sources both these from Wound Up, and visually anyway they look exactly the same as
> Wound Up's standard articles. So the question might be asked more broadly...what do people think
> of Wound Up's products and is there any way they are uniquely suited to Seven's frames?

I too have a question regarding Seven frames and fork compatibility.

The Wound Up fork is unusually short (axle to crown height) for a carbon fiber fork - their web
page http://www.advancedcomposites.com/woundup.htm) lists them as being 365.2mm tall. Most other
carbon forks are taller - for example, the True Temper Alpha-Q fork
(http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/pro.html) is listed as 374mm tall. Replacing one fork
for the other would raise the stem/handlebars by nearly a centimeter, and change the frame angles
(both head tube angle and seat tube angle) by about 1/2 degree, changing the fit and handling of
the bicycle.

Seven constantly stresses properly fitting a bicycle to the rider. To control the design of a frame
precisely, it must be designed for specific fork dimensions. So, are Seven cycles frames designed
specifically to the relatively short Wound Up forks? What accommodations are made if another fork is
to be used?

Mark McMaster [email protected]

Which bike did you like the best?

"dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I test rode an Axiom Ti (on the same day I test rode a Serotta Legend Ti and an Independent
> Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel). My impression of the Wound Up fork is that it was slightly stiffer
> than the Reynolds Ouzo Pro that was on the other two bikes. I love the look of the Wound Up fork,
> and don't have any complaints at all. It's just a matter of personal preference.

"Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Which bike did you like the best?

What difference does it make which bike he liked the best? It may or may not be the one you like the
best. Fit/handling are so subjective that what I like you may hate, and vice versa.

Mike

Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Fred Roses wrote:
> > "Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone has the Seven Carbon Road
> >>Fork and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two components or is there a
> >>better choice for the money?
> >>
> >>thanks
> >

> > IIRC, Seven sources both these from Wound Up, and visually anyway they look exactly the same as
> > Wound Up's standard articles. So the question might be asked more broadly...what do people think
> > of Wound Up's products and is there any way they are uniquely suited to Seven's frames?
>
> I too have a question regarding Seven frames and fork compatibility.
>
> The Wound Up fork is unusually short (axle to crown height) for a carbon fiber fork - their web
> page http://www.advancedcomposites.com/woundup.htm) lists them as being 365.2mm tall. Most other
> carbon forks are taller - for example, the True Temper Alpha-Q fork
> (http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/pro.html) is listed as 374mm tall. Replacing one
> fork for the other would raise the stem/handlebars by nearly a centimeter, and change the frame
> angles (both head tube angle and seat tube angle) by about 1/2 degree, changing the fit and
> handling of the bicycle.
>
> Seven constantly stresses properly fitting a bicycle to the rider. To control the design of a
> frame precisely, it must be designed for specific fork dimensions. So, are Seven cycles frames
> designed specifically to the relatively short Wound Up forks? What accommodations are made if
> another fork is to be used?
>
> Mark McMaster [email protected]

I have been looking at Seven frames recently. In their Custom Build kit application, you tell them
what fork you're planning on using for the bike. I guess they use that to help design the frame.

dennisg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I test rode an Axiom Ti (on the same day I test rode a Serotta Legend Ti and an Independent
> Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel). <snip>

What else did you think about the 3 bikes in comparison - handling, finish, design, etc??

When I ordered my Seven Axiom I specified a Reynolds Ouzo fork as I think the Wound-Ups are butt
ugly. The Seven rep said they adjust the frame for the fork that is going on it. Seems the
headtube is modified a bit for length and angle. But I guess this would mess things up a bit if I
want to go to a different fork later. Thankfully, most forks are pretty standard and have several
choices of rake.

Tim McTeague

"Mark McMaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Fred Roses wrote:
> > "Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone
has
> >>the Seven Carbon Road Fork and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two
> >>components or is there a better choice for the
money?

> >>thanks
> >

> > IIRC, Seven sources both these from Wound Up, and visually anyway they look exactly the same as
> > Wound Up's standard articles. So the question might be asked more broadly...what do people think
> > of Wound Up's products and is there any way they are uniquely suited to Seven's frames?
>
> I too have a question regarding Seven frames and fork compatibility.
>
> The Wound Up fork is unusually short (axle to crown height) for a carbon fiber fork - their web
> page http://www.advancedcomposites.com/woundup.htm) lists them as being 365.2mm tall. Most other
> carbon forks are taller - for example, the True Temper Alpha-Q fork
> (http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/pro.html) is listed as 374mm tall. Replacing one
> fork for the other would raise the stem/handlebars by nearly a centimeter, and change the frame
> angles (both head tube angle and seat tube angle) by about 1/2 degree, changing the fit and
> handling of the bicycle.
>
> Seven constantly stresses properly fitting a bicycle to the rider. To control the design of a
> frame precisely, it must be designed for specific fork dimensions. So, are Seven cycles frames
> designed specifically to the relatively short Wound Up forks? What accommodations are made if
> another fork is to be used?
>
> Mark McMaster [email protected]

Don't get your shorts in a knot. It was a simple question. I don't recall mentioning that I was
going to base my decision on his choice.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:aHWna.1532$366.1122@fed1read06...

> "Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Which bike did you like the best?
> >
> What difference does it make which bike he liked the best? It may or may not be the one you like
> the best. Fit/handling are so subjective that
what
> I like you may hate, and vice versa.
>
> Mike

Gregg,

The IF Ti Crown Jewel came out on top -- by a nose. Perfect combination of stiff bottom bracket and comfortable frame. The thing climbs like a mountain goat and feels glued to the road on fast descents. But I also loved the Seven and Serotta. It was an agonizing decision and I could have been thrilled with any of them.

I'll have my Ti Crown Jewel next week. Yes, I'm stoked.

Tim,

Even though I didn't buy the Seven, I thought the Wound Up fork was beautiful -- almost retro, except for the fact that it's carbon fiber. I love flat crown and delicate, straight legs. The Ouzo Pro (which I bought) looks like every other CF fork out there.

I've been considering a Seven Axiom and wondered about the Seven fork. It apparently has an aluminum
crown with wound carbon blades bonded to
it. I've heard that bonding aluminum to carbon is not a great idea (galvanic corrosion). I guess
its done alot and Seven knows what its doing. Any comments?

"Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking of ordering the Seven Axiom and was wondering if anyone has the Seven Carbon Road
> Fork and the Seven Carbon Seat Post. Is it worth purchasing these two components or is there a
> better choice for the money?
>
> thanks

"Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Don't get your shorts in a knot. It was a simple question. I don't
recall
> mentioning that I was going to base my decision on his choice.

No knot, just pointing out that unless you're both the same size, build, etc. its not going make a
difference what he felt...

Mike

"David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<z_%[email protected]>...
> I've been considering a Seven Axiom and wondered about the Seven fork. It apparently has an
> aluminum crown with wound carbon blades bonded to
> it. I've heard that bonding aluminum to carbon is not a great idea (galvanic corrosion). I guess
> its done alot and Seven knows what its doing. Any comments?

FWIW, it seems every high-end aluminum frame these days has a carbon seatstay bonded to it....

Didn't know that. There's alot of Ti frames being pushed with carbon seatstays, but hadn't seen Al.

"Fred Roses" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<z_%[email protected]>...
> > I've been considering a Seven Axiom and wondered about the Seven fork. It apparently has an
> > aluminum crown with wound carbon blades bonded to
> > it. I've heard that bonding aluminum to carbon is not a great idea (galvanic corrosion). I
> > guess its done alot and Seven knows what its
doing.
> > Any comments?
> >
> FWIW, it seems every high-end aluminum frame these days has a carbon seatstay bonded to it....

I think the entire line of Klein road bikes now has carbon fiber rear triangles. Makes sense, considering how stiff their bikes are.

Phil Brown wrote:
>>The Wound Up fork is unusually short (axle to crown height) for a carbon fiber fork - their web
>>page http://www.advancedcomposites.com/woundup.htm) lists them as being 365.2mm tall.
>

> That's a pretty normal fork height these days.

Not any more. 700c forks built with a crown (either box crown or unicrown) are commonly about 365
mm, but fewer and fewer forks are built that way. Metal forks are now more commonly being built with
uni-crown construction, which are typically about 375 mm tall. Carbon fiber forks come in a variety
of sizes, but most are typically about 372 mm tall.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

>>Most other carbon forks are taller - for example, the True Temper Alpha-Q fork
>>(http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/pro.html) is listed as 374mm tall.
>

> Many Trek forks are 373 or 4. Sounds like they're looking for replacement business. Phil Brown

Originally posted by Fred Roses
dennisg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I test rode an Axiom Ti (on the same day I test rode a Serotta Legend Ti and an Independent
> Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel). <snip>

What else did you think about the 3 bikes in comparison - handling, finish, design, etc??

Fred, all three bikes (as you might expect from bikes at that price level) handled like a dream. I couldn't imagine having a more glued-to-the-road feeling on fast descents. Of the three bikes, the Serotta felt the least compliant, but there could be a number of factors contributing to that. Keep in mind that these were test bikes, meaning none of them was built for my geometry, weight, or riding preferences.

I also thought the welds on the IF and Seven were a notch above the Serotta. Although, I have to say, the Legend's matte finish with polished Ti decals was stunning.

Seven doesn't paint their Ti bikes, while Serotta and IF do, if requested to.

While I like the look of the Wound Up fork (on the Seven) the best of the three bikes, I recognized it was slightly stiffer than the other two. Not a big problem for me, but I'm coming from a fat-tubed Klein, and I want to error on the side of compliance. The Seven and IF both just felt more comfortable than the Serotta. I had the same wheelsets on all three bikes.

The bottom line is that I would have been happy to throw a dart at a dartboard in order to choose the right bike -- that's how closely the three bikes ranked.

This may seem crazy, but what put IF on top was the degree to which they were willing to facilitate my test ride. It's not easy finding an IF dealer. The one in Seattle didn't have a test bike for me to ride. I called up IF and told them I couldn't consider buying a bike from them if I can't do a test ride, and they offered to ship me a bike -- completely at their expense -- for me to ride for as long as I like in order to make an informed opinion. I declined, but in my book, that's generous! As it turned out, they contacted the LBS and urged them to contact a customer who had previously bought a Ti Crown Jewel from them and ask him if he'd let me test ride his bike. The customer was happy to bring it in, I test rode it, loved it, and ordered a frame.

All things being equal, I went with the company that was willing to do almost anything (translation: assume great financial risk) to make me a customer. You've gotta like that.

Does this answer your question?

- Dennis