Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

R Brickston

Guest
I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.

I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
> can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
> custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>
> I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
> won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
> would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
> extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
>> can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
>> custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>>
>> I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
>> won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
>> would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
>> extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

>Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
>the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
>clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
>Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
>probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.

I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
decals, I'm wondering about the value.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
>>>can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
>>>custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>>>
>>>I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
>>>won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
>>>would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
>>>extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

>>Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
>>the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
>>clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
>>Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
>>probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.
>>

> I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
> decals, I'm wondering about the value.

Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
without their name/logo on it."

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
>>>the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
>>>clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
>>>Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
>>>probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.
>>>

>> I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
>> decals, I'm wondering about the value.

>Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
>without their name/logo on it."

Read it in context:

"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."

Seven- name/logo
Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:36:03 GMT, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

>I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
>can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
>custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>
>I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
>won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
>would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
>extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

The shirt is not usually custom fitted. Paying $45 for a tailor made shirt is
not expensive at all.

For a custom fitted frame $1600 is not unreasonable. It is more than many, but
less than some others.

Ron

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:26:35 GMT, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>R Brickston wrote:

>>> I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
>>> decals, I'm wondering about the value.

>>Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
>>without their name/logo on it."

>Read it in context:
>
>"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
>buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
>and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>
>Seven- name/logo
>Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

It confuses the issue. Sounds like you wanted a stealth bike or a discount for
leaving off the stickers.

This isn't shirts at the mall you're buying here. The guys who build this stuff
love it and take pride. That's why they've got the logo. If they were just in it
for a buck they'd be selling shirts at the mall.

Ron

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:35:22 -0400, RonSonic
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:26:35 GMT, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
>>wrote:

>>>Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
>>>without their name/logo on it."

>>Read it in context:
>>
>>"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
>>buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
>>and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>>
>>Seven- name/logo
>>Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

>It confuses the issue. Sounds like you wanted a stealth bike or a discount for
>leaving off the stickers.

I did want the unavailable stealth version.

R Brickston wrote:
> I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
> can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
> custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>
> I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
> won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
> would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
> extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

$1600 is about what most of the bigger name TIG welded custom steel
frame makers charge in the US. Independent Fabrications is another.
If the bike suits you and you get comfort from having the local shop
measure you for the bike size, then go for it. If you are comfortable
taking your own measurements, and know what size bike you ride, then
you can buy a custom lugged or TIG steel frame/fork from England for
half the price, delivered. Bob Jackson and Mercian and Dave Yates are
a few names that come to mind.

R Brickston wrote:

>> Any suggestions on a frame builder?

1) Go local. 2) http://www.davidsonbicycles.com/html/estimate.shtml (I
know a very particular, very satisfied long-time Davidson owner; she
says "They gave me exactly what I wanted" when she replaced her old
stock-sized steel Davidson with a custom Ti. Sold direct.

> One benefit of the Seven is that
> the fitting process would be at the local lbs. They take all your
> measurements and the style of bike you want and send it off to Seven
> who then sends back their idea of the geometry. That data is plugged
> into the fitting mock-up and the numbers are adjusted, if neccessary
> for the best (for this process) possible fit.

Did you get measured yet? Maybe you don't need a custom frame in the
first place, speaking to your concerns about price. Some bikeshops will
sell a "fit" so you can get your measurement numbers for a fee,
independent of buying a bike through them. Again, looking at minimizing
cost, if you can do all or most of your own build-up, all depending on
LBS policy/politics.

Freq. contributor Mark Hickey's Ti frames:
http://www.habcycles.com/road.html Well spoken of; note the
"owner-maintainable finish".

As noted, Ti might be easier to "stealth" than steel. I have an old Ti
Litespeed, de-decaled; that matte gray is stealthy, for sure. Heard my
first complaint just the other day <g>. --D-y

R Brickston wrote:
> Any suggestions on a frame builder?

Well, where are you? I live outside of Philadelphia, so I decided to
buy a Spectrum (www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.htm) from Tom Kellogg,
whose shop is not far away. My thinking was this: with such a reputable
builder so close by, why wouldn't I get the personal touch? Having
ridden and enjoyed my Spectrum for the past 2-3 years, I recommend Tom
without reservation. Regards, Roy Zipris

R Brickston wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>R Brickston wrote:

>>>I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
>>>decals, I'm wondering about the value.

>>Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
>>without their name/logo on it."

> Read it in context:
>
> "Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
> buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
> and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>
> Seven- name/logo
> Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

So it would be worth it if it didn't have their name/logo on it?

Greg
--

On 29 Aug 2006 08:45:04 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>
>>> Any suggestions on a frame builder?

>1) Go local. 2) http://www.davidsonbicycles.com/html/estimate.shtml (I
>know a very particular, very satisfied long-time Davidson owner; she
>says "They gave me exactly what I wanted" when she replaced her old
>stock-sized steel Davidson with a custom Ti. Sold direct.
>
>> One benefit of the Seven is that
>> the fitting process would be at the local lbs. They take all your
>> measurements and the style of bike you want and send it off to Seven
>> who then sends back their idea of the geometry. That data is plugged
>> into the fitting mock-up and the numbers are adjusted, if neccessary
>> for the best (for this process) possible fit.

>Did you get measured yet? Maybe you don't need a custom frame in the
>first place, speaking to your concerns about price. Some bikeshops will
>sell a "fit" so you can get your measurement numbers for a fee,
>independent of buying a bike through them. Again, looking at minimizing
>cost, if you can do all or most of your own build-up, all depending on
>LBS policy/politics.
>
>Freq. contributor Mark Hickey's Ti frames:
>http://www.habcycles.com/road.html Well spoken of; note the
>"owner-maintainable finish".
>
>As noted, Ti might be easier to "stealth" than steel. I have an old Ti
>Litespeed, de-decaled; that matte gray is stealthy, for sure. Heard my
>first complaint just the other day <g>. --D-y

I'm not sure Ti is going to work well for total 250-275 lbs of touring
weight. I'm not sure you can get a Habanero in touring geometry.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:35:22 -0400, RonSonic
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:26:35 GMT, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

>>>Read it in context:
>>>
>>>"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
>>>buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
>>>and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>>>
>>>Seven- name/logo
>>>Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

>>It confuses the issue. Sounds like you wanted a stealth bike or a discount for
>>leaving off the stickers.

> I did want the unavailable stealth version.

Then why did you say: "I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really
worried about the decals, I'm wondering about the value."

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

On 29 Aug 2006 08:57:00 -0700, "Roy Zipris" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> Any suggestions on a frame builder?

>Well, where are you? I live outside of Philadelphia, so I decided to
>buy a Spectrum (www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.htm) from Tom Kellogg,
>whose shop is not far away. My thinking was this: with such a reputable
>builder so close by, why wouldn't I get the personal touch? Having
>ridden and enjoyed my Spectrum for the past 2-3 years, I recommend Tom
>without reservation. Regards, Roy Zipris

Thanks for the source, I'll check it out.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:59:54 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
>>>without their name/logo on it."

>> Read it in context:
>>
>> "Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
>> buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
>> and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>>
>> Seven- name/logo
>> Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

>So it would be worth it if it didn't have their name/logo on it?
>
>Greg

That's what I'm asking - only with or without the name/logo - is it a
value for the underlying frameset. Does it have any additional value
if /I/ can get it without the name/logo? Not where it would change a
buying decision.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:01:40 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:35:22 -0400, RonSonic
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>It confuses the issue. Sounds like you wanted a stealth bike or a discount for
>>>leaving off the stickers.

>> I did want the unavailable stealth version.
>>

>Then why did you say: "I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really
>worried about the decals, I'm wondering about the value."
>
>Greg

The fact that I can't have a particular non-performance preference of
no decal/name/logo does not make it a deal breaker.

R Brickston wrote:
> I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
> can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
> custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.
>
> I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
> won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
> would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
> extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

Price is OK - not great. I suggest looking at Waterford and thier
cheaper brand Gunnar. They will do wild paint jobs or the plain no
name look if that is what you want.
http://www.waterfordbikes.com/
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/

Wayne

R Brickston wrote:
> I'm not sure Ti is going to work well for total 250-275 lbs of touring
> weight. I'm not sure you can get a Habanero in touring geometry.

You could ask. Any maker, steel or "whatever".

Was this the first mention of purpose, laden weight?

Well, Ti might make for a total more like 245-265 <g>. --D-y

R Brickston wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:59:54 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>R Brickston wrote:

>>>Read it in context:
>>>
>>>"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
>>>buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
>>>and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."
>>>
>>>Seven- name/logo
>>>Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

>>So it would be worth it if it didn't have their name/logo on it?
>>
>>Greg

> That's what I'm asking - only with or without the name/logo - is it a
> value for the underlying frameset.

There's little value here. It's a bunch of steel tubes welded together
worth $300 to $400.

Greg