Seven Cycles vs. High-end Carbon

ridiculous

Apr 6, 2006
Looking to get a new frame and in the price range of a Seven Alaris or high-end carbon frame.

Specifically, I want something that is good for racing in general with an emphasis on climbing. I test-rode an Orbea Orca and loved it. It was especially nice when I got out of the saddle and I'm looking for that sort of a springy, lively ride that's light enough to get me up mountains in and out of the saddle.

I know that Seven is pretty much capable of anything so I am sure that they can make a frame for me that has these same attributes.

But I have 2 concerns...

1. Weight: I'm sure the Seven Alaris will be a little heavier than an Orbea Orca or something of similar level but that doesn't really matter too much right?

2. Aerodynamics: The Orbea Orca and a lot of high end carbon bikes are pretty sleek and seem to be aerodynamic...on the other hand, Sevens are made out of round-tubes (not really considering an aero downtube)...will this make a big difference? First and foremost, I want speed for races.

I know that both these bikes are really nice. The Orbea Orca is friggin' sweet, but may sort of lose its appeal as newer model years come out. Sevens, on the other hand, are so individual that it doesn't really lose any of that quality does it?

But what's most important to me is speed. If an Orbea Orca is going to be noticeably a better bike for racing, then I'm all for it. What do you guys think?

ridiculous said:
Looking to get a new frame and in the price range of a Seven Alaris or high-end carbon frame.

Specifically, I want something that is good for racing in general with an emphasis on climbing. I test-rode an Orbea Orca and loved it. It was especially nice when I got out of the saddle and I'm looking for that sort of a springy, lively ride that's light enough to get me up mountains in and out of the saddle.

I know that Seven is pretty much capable of anything so I am sure that they can make a frame for me that has these same attributes.

But I have 2 concerns...

1. Weight: I'm sure the Seven Alaris will be a little heavier than an Orbea Orca or something of similar level but that doesn't really matter too much right?

2. Aerodynamics: The Orbea Orca and a lot of high end carbon bikes are pretty sleek and seem to be aerodynamic...on the other hand, Sevens are made out of round-tubes (not really considering an aero downtube)...will this make a big difference? First and foremost, I want speed for races.

I know that both these bikes are really nice. The Orbea Orca is friggin' sweet, but may sort of lose its appeal as newer model years come out. Sevens, on the other hand, are so individual that it doesn't really lose any of that quality does it?

But what's most important to me is speed. If an Orbea Orca is going to be noticeably a better bike for racing, then I'm all for it. What do you guys think?
I don't think the aerodynamics of the frame's tubing are a signficant factor under 20MPH ... and, if you're climbing at a speed faster than that, well ...

Were you going to use Campy OR Shimano?

Certainly, Campy (and, I suppose FSA) shifters have to be more aerodynamic because of how the derailleur cables are routed ... and, on the descent(s), I think your position on the bike AND your water bottles may have more influence on the aerodynamics than the tubing ... AND, your daring will subsequently effect how quickly you descend more than the tubing.

If you get the Seven, you'll probably have it forever ...

ridiculous said:

But I have 2 concerns...

I ride in two different areas. One looks like the roads have been bombed. The shock & vibration qualities of full carbon are preferred, more so the lighter the rider. Most new bikes are felt's and Orbea's. Each shop is owned by a racer, so that figures into it. One of our club members just got a new Orbea with the SRAM group, with the single shift levers, and wouldn't go back to Dura-Ace. The other area I ride in, has bike lanes that are as smooth as a pool table and frame material doesn't make that much difference. Because of steep hills, weight is more of a concern and carbon is bought more for it's light weight. Not all, but most new bikes are Look, Giant, and Specialized. And again, these are sold by shops owned by racers. I have never ridden any of these bikes, so I have no ax to grind.

Unless I am mistaken, sevens are custom fitted and built for you where as the CF bikes as you know are usually compact frame-pick from 4 or 5 sizes. NOt thats bad-unless youve got strange measurements to accomodate.

rayhuang said:
Unless I am mistaken, sevens are custom fitted and built for you where as the CF bikes as you know are usually compact frame-pick from 4 or 5 sizes. NOt thats bad-unless youve got strange measurements to accomodate.

That's no longer true. While there are some companies that only have 3, 4 , or 5 sizes in a particular CF range, there are others that have a full boat of sizes. The Colnago C-50 is one such frame. Also wrong is the idea that CF frames are only compact.

In the US, if you want a custom CF frame, you can go to Parlee, Crumpton, Rüegamer, Calfee, Serotta, or if you have no taste whatsoever, Seven will build a custom Diamante, although why someone would want that abortion of a bike, I don't know. Also, with Dedacciai CF kits available, there are all sorts of builders that can build custom CF frames.