Seven Odonata/Alta, Serotta Legend Ti, Calfee, Moots Suspension? HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Anthony Moody, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I'm a long time aluminum rider (currently Klein Quantum w/Ultegra set up) who is thinking hard about
    making the jump to either Ti, Carbon, or a mix, and in custom form. Primary reason: comfort (back
    pain, hand numbness), fit, ride quality (silky smooth please).

    I'm mostly a recreational rider who can be coaxed into a tri every now and then. Most rides are
    between 20 and 60 miles with my base loop being around 35 and an occassional century. Average speed
    around 15-16 on my base ride. I'm generally more of a spinner than a masher, though I like to drop
    the hammer sometimes and really fly (especially downhill ;)). I'm 5'11, 185 if that matters in the
    consideration.

    I'm very new to the various advanced materials, pros and cons of each, why/when to mix them (if
    ever), etc. I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys have on the following makes/models, and why
    I might prefer one to the other (cost aside):

    -Seven Odonata (the Ti/Carbon mix) -Seven Alta (Ti) -Serotta Legend Ti -Serotto Ottrott (Ti/Carbon
    mix) -Calfee (carbon) -Moots (Ti suspension)

    Please don't flame me for being one of those guys with $5k burning a hole in their pocket. I know
    I'm in a fortunate situation, and I'd appreciate constructive thoughts.

    Best and thanks in advance, Tony

    PS - please feel free to email me thoughts [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "Anthony Moody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Please don't ask this in this group. It's a question for rec.bicycles.tech. As is that long "best
    steel road bike" thread.

    And please everyone else, don't answer the question here.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    Tony, I haven't had personal experience with those specific models, but hope you find some good
    advice here on them. As you found out, there are some compulsive thread nannies who jump on anyone
    who wants to have a conversation about something merely related to racing rather than directly on
    racing, but not all of us feel that way.

    Since there are knowledgeable (if sometimes grumpy) people on this forum who don't read the other
    ones, it can make sense to ask the question here as well as elsewhere. Since you were quite clear in
    your subject line about what you were asking, anyone who doesn't want to read it can simply skip
    over it. Good luck!

  4. "Mapei81" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tony, I haven't had personal experience with those specific models, but
    hope
    > you find some good advice here on them. As you found out, there are some compulsive thread nannies
    > who jump on anyone who wants to have a
    conversation
    > about something merely related to racing rather than directly on racing,
    but
    > not all of us feel that way.

    Agreed.

    There are many Freds lurking here.

  5. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Mapei81" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Tony, I haven't had personal experience with those specific models, but
    > hope
    > > you find some good advice here on them. As you found out, there are
    some
    > > compulsive thread nannies who jump on anyone who wants to have a
    > conversation
    > > about something merely related to racing rather than directly on racing,
    > but
    > > not all of us feel that way.
    >

    > Agreed.
    >
    > There are many Freds lurking here.

    Forgot:

    ones who can't figure out they should be on rec.bicycles.tech

  6. Try rec.bicycles.tech. That is the more appropriate newsgroup for this type of post.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  7. You can add Merlin Cielo and Merlin Extralight to your list.

  8. [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You can add Merlin Cielo and Merlin Extralight to your list.

    Yeah if you want a titanium bike made by Litespeed. Merlin just ain't the same since they were
    bought by Litespeed, you can ask anyone about that. Although I can't deny that the Cielo is one
    beautiful looking bike. Just on principle, I'd do without it. That and I'd never be able to afford
    such a luxury Sunday bike.

    Tom

  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    What principle? Is the quality not good enough? Are the welders American? Is the designer American?
    What's wrong with Lightspeed? They have the advantage over most other Ti builders in size, and that
    allows them to have extremely high quality standards. Welding Ti is a skill not an art. Do you
    choose your crankset by the person who makes it? How about your carbon fork?

    This is sort of like the discussion as to who makes a great steel frame. If you want a custom bike
    then go to the closest custom builder and go for a ride with him. Let him know how you ride and what
    little extras you want. Don't just go for the name on the decal. If the name is that important then
    go to a decal shop and get whatever name you want.

    Here's my story: I wanted a custom Ti, so I went for a ride with my good friend, Peter Dreesens, who
    has been making custom steel frames for decades. Since he doesn't make Ti frames I used his
    suggestions to help me decide what to request. I don't need much in none-standard geometery so all I
    asked for is lower BB, and longer stays then the usual racing frame, and some fender/rack eyelets.
    It fits great and will likely last a lot longer then the decals.

    -Bruce

    "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You can add Merlin Cielo and Merlin Extralight to your list.
    >
    > Yeah if you want a titanium bike made by Litespeed. Merlin just ain't the same since they were
    > bought by Litespeed, you can ask anyone about that. Although I can't deny that the Cielo is one
    > beautiful looking bike. Just on principle, I'd do without it. That and I'd never be able to afford
    > such a luxury Sunday bike.
    >
    > Tom

  10. [email protected] (Anthony Moody) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I'm a long time aluminum rider (currently Klein Quantum w/Ultegra set up) who is thinking hard
    > about making the jump to either Ti, Carbon, or a mix, and in custom form. Primary reason: comfort
    > (back pain, hand numbness), fit, ride quality (silky smooth please).

    Try some larger tires, Michelin Race 25s or Rivendell Rolly Pollys 27s, or Avocet 28s, all can be
    run at 100psi or better. Gives that silky smooth ride. As for the bikes you listed, the comfort is
    more a bike setup question, can you get the amount of weight on your hands and butt balanced so you
    don't hurt. That is a reach and bar/saddle height relationship issue, not a frame material issue.

    Scott Goldsmith race content, fatigue make you slow, ride in comfort.

  11. For those with constructive comments, I thank you. For the rest, NYAH.

    TM

  12. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Anthony Moody wrote:
    > For those with constructive comments, I thank you. For the rest, NYAH.
    >
    > TM

    I'm surprised you didn't get flamed worse than you did, Fred. If you want some help picking out
    some Ti jewelry, go visit the local jewelry store, AKA LBS. They'll be happy to set you up for the
    right price.

    Bret

  13. "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:r%[email protected]...
    > Anthony Moody wrote:
    > > For those with constructive comments, I thank you. For the rest, NYAH.
    > >
    > > TM
    >
    > I'm surprised you didn't get flamed worse than you did, Fred.

    No shit, this group has been a little soft recently.

  14. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:r%[email protected]...
    > > Anthony Moody wrote:
    > > > For those with constructive comments, I thank you. For the rest, NYAH.
    > > >
    > > > TM
    > >
    > > I'm surprised you didn't get flamed worse than you did, Fred.
    >

    > No shit, this group has been a little soft recently.

    You two ever wonder why no one likes you?

  15. "Anthony Moody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:r%[email protected]...
    NYAH.

    > > > I'm surprised you didn't get flamed worse than you did, Fred.
    > >

    > > No shit, this group has been a little soft recently.
    >
    > You two ever wonder why no one likes you?

    Dearest Fred -

    Hang around this group for awhile longer and you'll figure it out.

    Right now you are clueless (and I'm not being sarcastic)

  16. I may be clueless by your measure ass face, but I remember a time when people were couteous and
    helpful by default - not just online but in general. Guess that time is past. Why don't you take
    your head out

    Tony

  17. "Anthony Moody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I may be clueless by your measure ass face, but I remember a time when people were couteous and
    > helpful by default - not just online but in general. Guess that time is past.

    Hey dumbass -

    There was never a time like that on this newsgroup.

    >Why don't you take your head out

    OK there, newbie.