Seven Springs for Senior Nats?

"Charles Hodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> One of the main issues is finding a promoter who is willing to host Elite Nationals. For those of
> you who do not know, the Nationals are hosted by local clubs/promoters/organizations with support
> from USAC in the form of timing, staging, officials, etc. The reason that Elites were scheduled so
> late is that there has to be someone who WANTS to do the event, and who has the organization and
> backing to pull it off. This was not the case with Elites until the last month or so. Actually the
> USAC events staff should be credited with finding someone who could do it...and that is a much
> tougher job than you might think.
>
> As far as the TT and RR being back to back. No, it is not ideal. But sometimes concessions have to
> be made for local permits, etc. Would you rather not have a race at all? It is very easy to say
> "why can't they do this or that?" The answer is simple...sometimes there is not a choice.
>
> And you wonder why promoters don't want to hold Elites? Just look at the nasty post that started
> this tirade as a good example...
>
> And take it from someone who has worked at over 15 Nationals during the last 4 years, if you think
> you can do it better please call 719-866-4581 and ask for a bid package.
>
> Chuck Hodge

Chuck- USAC SHOULD PROMOTE ALL NATIONAL CHAMPS (Junior, U23, Elite, Master).

This should be one of their main responsibilties as the USOC rep for the sport of cycling in the US.
Plain and simple and there are no excuses or reasons that you can give me to convince me otherwise.
Whether they hire an event promoter or they sign a big money/long term contract with a promotion
company to run these events. It is ridiulous to not know when and where the most important race of
the season is going to be-how the hell do you prepare for it!

U23 nats and Elite TT/RR annually have trouble finding venues-but Masters doesn't. Go figure. Oh
yeah I forgot-35+ masters guys who get better sponsorship than most U23/Cat 1s are the future of the
sport-how could I not figure out something so obvious!

If USPRO RR and the USPRO crit/Elite crit have venue and/or sponsor problems USAC should step in
immediately and find venues and promote/manage the events. And like the USPRO RR/Crit; Elite and
U23 nats should be located in the same location and roughly the same date every year. This just
seems logical.

the Force

Adam Hodges Myerson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BA9F8B43.4389%[email protected]>...
> in article [email protected], Rik Van Diesel at
> [email protected] wrote on 3/20/03 2:23 PM:
>
> > What else do the people at USACYCLING have to do than schedule races.
>
> Actually, Eric Moore and Matt Murphy are responsible for:
>
> Scheduling ALL the national championships: masters, juniors, 'cross, track, etc. Scheduling the
> NRC for road Scheduling the NRC for MTB Scheduling the NRC for 'cross Scheduling and processing
> permits for all UCI events Processing pro team applications for the UCI (which this year was a
> lot, and is a challenging process)
>
> That's off the top of my head.
>
> Take a look at the national championships schedule alone for all these disciplines. Add to that
> that these guys actually GO to all these races.

They only have TWO people doing this @ USAC!?!? Where the hell did all our money go-oh that's right
Lisa Voight skimmed it off the top before she left. The above items should be some of the Fed's main
priorities. They should have more staff and a large budget. This is why my license fees go up, this
is why the feds get a cut of every race purse, etc...so they have more money to run the USAC.

> These guys, in my opinion, have been working hard to try to improve things under their watch. Are
> they done? No. Are they making progress? Yes.
>
> You try and make this many people happy, and see what kind of job you do.
>
> It's the national championships, for god's sake. If you can't take a few days off from work to go
> to nationals, then you're obviously not serious about the race. This isn't a grassroots event,
> let's make it easy for everyone to go. It's nationals.
>
> Adam

Yes it is Nationals. But really...Wednesday and Thursday-give me a break. Of course I am going, and
yes it is nice they have it between Housatonic and Somerville. But we all know a weekend would be
best and there are other weekends that they could do it. Like Philly weekend. Last time I checked
most of the guys who could do Philly could NOT do Elite Nats. Here's an idea: have Elite Nats in
Philly on the same day. Have us start behind the pros. We do 100-110 miles and hit the finish
circuits before the pros. Cancel the womens race-just mail Petra the check now.

CD

"David Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The trouble with finding promoters/venues for nationals is that the USCF keeps all of the entry
> fees. Even if the promoter can find good corporate sponsorship to offset the staggering cost of
> the event, they are unlikely to profit. Allowing the promoter to profit by sharing entry fees
> would go a long way toward better events.

I have always thought that USA didn't do enought to promote Nationals period. Now I read that the
fees go to the USCF?? No profanity, but huh? Tell me that isn't true. Anyone. RVD

Rik Van Diesel wrote:

> "David Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

> > The trouble with finding promoters/venues for nationals is that the USCF keeps all of the entry
> > fees. Even if the promoter can find good corporate sponsorship to offset the staggering cost of
> > the event, they are unlikely to profit. Allowing the promoter to profit by sharing entry fees
> > would go a long way toward better events.
>
> I have always thought that USA didn't do enought to promote Nationals period. Now I read that the
> fees go to the USCF?? No profanity, but huh? Tell me that isn't true. Anyone.

I never promoted road nationals, but I HAVE promoted track nationals. USAC kept the entry fees, but
they also covered a lot of the expenses. They paid for the timing company ($10,000), announcer
($3,000 ?), out-of-town official's fees, travel and food (??), jerseys, USAC staff and other stuff.
They certainly weren't making money on the deal.

It might also be mentioned that entry fees are pretty small potatoes compared to the budget of a
major event. For the Nature Valley Grand Prix, for example, we're projecting that entry fees will
cover about 5% of our budget. Letting the promoter keep the entry fees is unlikely to make or
break an event.

David

"Chris Daggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes it is Nationals. But really...Wednesday and Thursday-give me a break. Of course I am going,
> and yes it is nice they have it between Housatonic and Somerville.

I project THE FORCE for a podium spot.

YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE.

>Here's an idea: have Elite Nats in Philly on the same day. Have us start behind the pros.

That is a bad idea which will never be implemented.

OTOH: how about a MASTERS TdF? Have The Masters start behind the pros each day. I predict Cat 3
Masters Pro Danny Callen will at least be able to make it to the foot of a climb without falling
off his bike.

K. Gringioni supporter of THE FORCE

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Chris Daggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Yes it is Nationals. But really...Wednesday and Thursday-give me a break. Of course I am going,
> > and yes it is nice they have it between Housatonic and Somerville.
>

> I project THE FORCE for a podium spot.
>
> YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE.

"What is thy bidding, my master?"

> >Here's an idea: have Elite Nats in Philly on the same day. Have us start behind the pros.
>

> That is a bad idea which will never be implemented.

Well, yeah...

> OTOH: how about a MASTERS TdF? Have The Masters start behind the pros each day. I predict Cat 3
> Masters Pro Danny Callen will at least be able to make it to the foot of a climb without falling
> off his bike.
>

> K. Gringioni supporter of THE FORCE

Force Forever indebted to KG for my nickname

"Chris Daggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Chris Daggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > Yes it is Nationals. But really...Wednesday and Thursday-give me a break. Of course I am
> > > going, and yes it is nice they have it between Housatonic and Somerville.
> >

> > I project THE FORCE for a podium spot.
> >
> > YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE.
>
> "What is thy bidding, my master?"
>

> > >Here's an idea: have Elite Nats in Philly on the same day. Have us start behind the pros.
> >

> > That is a bad idea which will never be implemented.
>
> Well, yeah...
> >
> > OTOH: how about a MASTERS TdF? Have The Masters start behind the pros
each day. I predict Cat 3 Masters Pro Danny Callen will at
> > least be able to make it to the foot of a climb without falling off his
bike.

about? You know I would only do the crit, anyway. I leave Road races for the geeks that actually
have time to train and "think" they can climb like Lance. I'm sticking to the flat crits until I
retire and can actually weigh less than a dumptruck.

Danny Callen

My brothers,

I think senior nuts are better than springs. They're harder and tougher. Would you like me to tell
you about my senior nuts?

Fr. Guido

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My brothers,
>
> I think senior nuts are better than springs. They're harder and tougher. Would you like me to tell
> you about my senior nuts?

SENIOR NUTS, WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE?

> Fr. Guido

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rick,
>
> It's me. I am a senior nut.

Okay, ,,Roger

> Fr. Guido
>
> "Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > My brothers,
> > >
> > > I think senior nuts are better than springs. They're harder and tougher. Would you like me to
> > > tell you about my senior nuts?
> >
> > SENIOR NUTS, WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE?
> >

> > > Fr. Guido

> I just saw that they changed the date of nats. WTF are they thinking? I
would
> bet that over 80% of the cat 1's at road nats have jobs and will have to
waste
> valuable vacation time to go to a freaking middle of the week road race
that
> should have been during the weekend to begin with. They originally had it scheduled for a friday,
> which I could live with, but this thursday race
idea is
> absolutely stupid.
>
> If I didn't have a 2 time nat'l champ on my team I would tell USAC to take
> flying leap and miss road nat's this year. This has got to be one the
biggest
> screw the amateurs things I have seen in a long time.
>
> Can someone please tell me the rationale behind this hair-brained idea?
>
> thanks but no thanks, jason

What are you kids complaining about? The Senior Olympics down here in Houston have always been on a
Tuesday. See that way they can kill a weekend and half the workweek in one day! That's real
efficiency... complete multi-tasking.

Bruce