Seven vs Litespeed

Dave

Guest
I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

thanks

---

I would choose Seven because every Tom, ****, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

I would chose Seven because it's a better bike- custom-crafted to your specifications in a small
shop by experts. I would get one today if I could afford it.

Belij3 wrote:

> I would choose Seven because every Tom, ****, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

Jeez, I should change my name - to Tom **** or Harry - cuz I want one too! Okay, both these bikes
give me a woody! -P

Belij3 wrote:

> I would choose Seven because every Tom, ****, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

And why do you think that is?

Lou

Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
Tuscany and the Seven Axiom

For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:48:24 -0500, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
>the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
>each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?
>
>thanks
>

>---

I have a late 2001 Tuscany which I have been really pleased with. I bought it as parts, but I bought
the frame from my LBS and the fit was excellent.

My last bike lasted over ten years and I hope to get another ten out both of us. I am leary of the
2002/2003 integrated headset. I'd like to know that in 5 or 6 years I won't be combing E-bay looking
for a headset.

As for the Seven, I have no opinion. But the three important things to look for on either frame are
fit, fit and fit.

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

> Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices
narrowed
> down to a litespeed Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
>
> For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
> Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
> anatomic fit, on a
fit
> cycle, with a good fit person, first.

Also, DEAN ti ... El Vado for $1200 retail ...

Robin Hubert

> And why do you think that is?

Mostly cost I'd imagine....

alan

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I would chose Seven because it's a better bike- custom-crafted to your specifications in a small
> shop by experts. I would get one today if I
could
> afford it.

Yes, Seven would like you to think it is a Bohemian art community with free-range crafts people
skilled in the art of Feng Shui tube arrangement. Considering the number of frames they produce,
however, their shop can no longer be considered "small." It is not a Sachs, Kellogg, Eisentraut,
etc. type of "small shop" where you talk to the eponymous builder and not one of the staff
fabricators.

Unless you are built like E.T., chances are that you do not need a custom frame anyway. And with a
process like welding Ti, you may be better off with a bigger shop -- although both Seven and
Litespeed obviously are up to the task. I doubt that anyone could say that either frame is better in
terms of strength and durability without putting it on a test frame or hacking apart each weld.

Although most people say that you should buy the frame the fits and feels the best, my
recommendation is always to buy the frame with the wiggliest stays. The more bends the better. --
Jay Beattie.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
> Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
>
> For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
> Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
> anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.

Agree, FIT is the most important factor. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't ride...AS for whether to
get LS or 7, another, albeit way cheaper option, is to get a chinese made Habanero
(www.habcycles.com) for $699 standard or $995 custom geometry/sizing and pocket the rest. Of course
Habanero is not LS or 7 and you won't have the "cache" on your next group ride.....

>Although most people say that you should buy the frame the fits and feels the best, my
>recommendation is always to buy the frame with the wiggliest stays. The more bends the better.

Just keep in mind, the wigglier the stays the higher the price.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

In article <%[email protected]>, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
>the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
>each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

They are all just bikes. Unless they fit identically, always choose the one that fits better.

Since you've narrowed it down thus far, if you want a useful response to this kind of question you
have to tell us the criteria you used to arrive at these two. What's the budget, intended use, why
is the geometry right for you, expected payload, etc.

I would also compare your choices to similar lower-cost alternatives and ask whether there is any
functional benefit to the more costly models, and ask yourself whether the premium is really worth
it. (Maybe it is.)

--Paul

[email protected] (bfd) wrote:

>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
>> Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
>>
>> For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
>> Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
>> anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.
>>
>Agree, FIT is the most important factor. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't ride...AS for whether
>to get LS or 7, another, albeit way cheaper option, is to get a chinese made Habanero
>(www.habcycles.com) for $699 standard or $995 custom geometry/sizing and pocket the rest. Of course
>Habanero is not LS or 7 and you won't have the "cache" on your next group ride.....

How about if I slap an "Eight" decal on it and triple the price? ;-)

I am 6'-1.5" and 170 to 180 during riding season. I rode about 7000 miles last year including weekly
club races I currently own a 3 year old aluminums Guru Racelite with Ultegra groupo and Mavic Open
Pro wheelset. This is the first REAL bike I have ever owned so I am not very familiar with Ti or
Carbon bikes. Previous to road riding I rode (and currently own) a Yeti ARC The Guru bike isn't the
most comfortable on century rides and I am told by a friend of mine (who is a Litespeed dealer) that
a Ti bike is much easier on the body than aluminums. Carbon bikes don't interest me so that isn't an
option. I made my choice on my Guru because I took the advice of a local bike shop without doing any
research. It is a relatively high end frame. The next bike I get is to last me for the next 10 or so
years. I want to get as much info as possible before I make my decision. Unfortunately, none of the
local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind of hard to take one for a test drive. I can get one ordered
from the local shop but when I order it I will be stuck with it.

Ps As for budget. The Seven Axiom is about as high as I will go "Paul Southworth"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:h2YZ9.31156$A%[email protected]...
> In article <%[email protected]>, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down
> >a litespeed Tuscany and the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these
models
> >could you please tell me the pros and cons of each. I know Litespeed is
> >much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?
>
> They are all just bikes. Unless they fit identically, always choose the one that fits better.
>
> Since you've narrowed it down thus far, if you want a useful response to this kind of question you
> have to tell us the criteria you used to arrive at these two. What's the budget, intended use, why
> is the geometry right for you, expected payload, etc.
>
> I would also compare your choices to similar lower-cost alternatives and ask whether there is any
> functional benefit to the more costly models, and ask yourself whether the premium is really worth
> it. (Maybe it is.)
>
> --Paul

---

> Unfortunately, none of the local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind of hard to take one for a test
> drive. I can get one ordered from the local shop but when I order it I will be stuck with it.

Well, since the Seven is custom, there's really no reason to believe that you won't like the fit and
I'm sure many on this board will tell you that they bought their Seven(s) unseen and untested. Since
it is custom made for you, there is no way you can ever test it first right?

I think it's a matter of getting a proper fit and being comfortable with it. Seven sends you the
specs of your bike so that you get a very good idea of how it's going to be. If you're currently
riding a 54cm and Seven comes back with either a 48cm or a 62cm, then something is definitely wrong.

You'll find that most LBSs don't stock a lot of Moots, Sevens, Serotta Ti, etc in all the different
sizes so it comes to trusting your LBS or whoever is doing the fitting for you. Any decent Ti frame
will last you 10 years whether it be Seven, Moots, Habanero or Litespeed. I don't buy into that
integrated headset, prorietary tech stuff though. At the end of the day, get something you're
comfortable and happy with.

alan

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Guru bike isn't the most comfortable on century rides and I am told by a friend of mine (who is
>a Litespeed dealer) that a Ti bike is much easier on the body than aluminums.

Just a word of caution - if you spend a lot of money (or even a little money...) on a ti bike to get
more "comfort", you'll be wasting the money. They have lots of other benefits (lack of paint being
my personal favorite), but you'd never be able to pick out the painted ti bike in a blind test ride.

Believe me, I'd gladly jump on the "magic carpet ride" bandwagon if it were true...

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
> I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany
> and the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons
> of each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

The Litespeed seems a bit heavy to me. I considered purchasing the Tuscany last year until I saw in
their catalog that a 60cm frame weighed 3.6 pounds. There are plenty of frames in that price range
that are significantly lighter.

Of course, there are more important things than weight. But all other things being equal...

I would look at Dean and Independent Fabrication.

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Unfortunately, none of the local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind
of hard
> > to take one for a test drive. I can get one ordered from the local
shop but
> > when I order it I will be stuck with it.
> >
> Well, since the Seven is custom, there's really no reason to believe that you won't like the fit
> and I'm sure many on this board will tell you that they bought their Seven(s) unseen and untested.
> Since it is custom made for you, there is no way you can ever test it first right?
>
> I think it's a matter of getting a proper fit and being comfortable with it. Seven sends you
> the specs of your bike so that you get a very good idea of how it's going to be. If you're
> currently riding a 54cm and Seven comes back with either a 48cm or a 62cm, then something is
> definitely wrong.
>
> You'll find that most LBSs don't stock a lot of Moots, Sevens, Serotta Ti, etc in all the
> different sizes so it comes to trusting your LBS or whoever is doing the fitting for you. Any
> decent Ti frame will last you 10 years whether it be Seven, Moots, Habanero or Litespeed. I don't
> buy into that integrated headset, prorietary tech stuff though. At the end of the day, get
> something you're comfortable and happy with.

10 years? Hell, I have a 1986 Cannondale frame bought new for about $300 that I have raced, trashed,
drilled, beaten and ignored for probably 50K miles -- and it is still going strong as my commuter
bike. 10 years on a $2,600 frame does not seem like a very good return on investment -- regardless
of its magical riding characteristics. I would hope that the Seven frame would last forever, or
until stolen or crushed by a car. -- Jay Beattie.