Seven vs Litespeed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
    the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
    each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

    thanks

    ---

  2. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    I would choose Seven because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I would chose Seven because it's a better bike- custom-crafted to your specifications in a small
    shop by experts. I would get one today if I could afford it.

    Belij3 wrote:

    > I would choose Seven because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

  4. Paul D.

    Paul D. Guest

    Jeez, I should change my name - to Tom Dick or Harry - cuz I want one too! Okay, both these bikes
    give me a woody! -P

    "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I would choose Seven because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

  5. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    Belij3 wrote:

    > I would choose Seven because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a Litespeed. B

    And why do you think that is?

    Lou

  6. Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
    Tuscany and the Seven Axiom

    For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
    Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
    anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.

  7. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:48:24 -0500, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
    >the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
    >each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?
    >
    >thanks
    >

    >---

    I have a late 2001 Tuscany which I have been really pleased with. I bought it as parts, but I bought
    the frame from my LBS and the fit was excellent.

    My last bike lasted over ten years and I hope to get another ten out both of us. I am leary of the
    2002/2003 integrated headset. I'd like to know that in 5 or 6 years I won't be combing E-bay looking
    for a headset.

    As for the Seven, I have no opinion. But the three important things to look for on either frame are
    fit, fit and fit.

    cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices
    narrowed
    > down to a litespeed Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
    >
    > For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
    > Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
    > anatomic fit, on a
    fit
    > cycle, with a good fit person, first.

    Also, DEAN ti ... El Vado for $1200 retail ...

    Robin Hubert

  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > And why do you think that is?

    Mostly cost I'd imagine....

    alan

  10. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I would chose Seven because it's a better bike- custom-crafted to your specifications in a small
    > shop by experts. I would get one today if I
    could
    > afford it.

    Yes, Seven would like you to think it is a Bohemian art community with free-range crafts people
    skilled in the art of Feng Shui tube arrangement. Considering the number of frames they produce,
    however, their shop can no longer be considered "small." It is not a Sachs, Kellogg, Eisentraut,
    etc. type of "small shop" where you talk to the eponymous builder and not one of the staff
    fabricators.

    Unless you are built like E.T., chances are that you do not need a custom frame anyway. And with a
    process like welding Ti, you may be better off with a bigger shop -- although both Seven and
    Litespeed obviously are up to the task. I doubt that anyone could say that either frame is better in
    terms of strength and durability without putting it on a test frame or hacking apart each weld.

    Although most people say that you should buy the frame the fits and feels the best, my
    recommendation is always to buy the frame with the wiggliest stays. The more bends the better. --
    Jay Beattie.

  11. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
    > Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
    >
    > For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
    > Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
    > anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.

    Agree, FIT is the most important factor. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't ride...AS for whether to
    get LS or 7, another, albeit way cheaper option, is to get a chinese made Habanero
    (www.habcycles.com) for $699 standard or $995 custom geometry/sizing and pocket the rest. Of course
    Habanero is not LS or 7 and you won't have the "cache" on your next group ride.....

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Although most people say that you should buy the frame the fits and feels the best, my
    >recommendation is always to buy the frame with the wiggliest stays. The more bends the better.

    Just keep in mind, the wigglier the stays the higher the price.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  13. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

  14. In article <%[email protected]>, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany and
    >the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons of
    >each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

    They are all just bikes. Unless they fit identically, always choose the one that fits better.

    Since you've narrowed it down thus far, if you want a useful response to this kind of question you
    have to tell us the criteria you used to arrive at these two. What's the budget, intended use, why
    is the geometry right for you, expected payload, etc.

    I would also compare your choices to similar lower-cost alternatives and ask whether there is any
    functional benefit to the more costly models, and ask yourself whether the premium is really worth
    it. (Maybe it is.)

    --Paul

  15. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (bfd) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Dave-<< I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed
    >> Tuscany and the Seven Axiom
    >>
    >> For those prices, ya gotta consider MOOTS...but since you mention Tuscany(Colorado Cyclist) and
    >> Seven(Excel) me thinks you are looking at mailorder only...BUT I would recommend getting a good
    >> anatomic fit, on a fit cycle, with a good fit person, first.
    >>
    >Agree, FIT is the most important factor. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't ride...AS for whether
    >to get LS or 7, another, albeit way cheaper option, is to get a chinese made Habanero
    >(www.habcycles.com) for $699 standard or $995 custom geometry/sizing and pocket the rest. Of course
    >Habanero is not LS or 7 and you won't have the "cache" on your next group ride.....

    How about if I slap an "Eight" decal on it and triple the price? ;-)

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I am 6'-1.5" and 170 to 180 during riding season. I rode about 7000 miles last year including weekly
    club races I currently own a 3 year old aluminums Guru Racelite with Ultegra groupo and Mavic Open
    Pro wheelset. This is the first REAL bike I have ever owned so I am not very familiar with Ti or
    Carbon bikes. Previous to road riding I rode (and currently own) a Yeti ARC The Guru bike isn't the
    most comfortable on century rides and I am told by a friend of mine (who is a Litespeed dealer) that
    a Ti bike is much easier on the body than aluminums. Carbon bikes don't interest me so that isn't an
    option. I made my choice on my Guru because I took the advice of a local bike shop without doing any
    research. It is a relatively high end frame. The next bike I get is to last me for the next 10 or so
    years. I want to get as much info as possible before I make my decision. Unfortunately, none of the
    local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind of hard to take one for a test drive. I can get one ordered
    from the local shop but when I order it I will be stuck with it.

    Ps As for budget. The Seven Axiom is about as high as I will go "Paul Southworth"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:h2YZ9.31156$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <%[email protected]>, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down
    > >a litespeed Tuscany and the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these
    models
    > >could you please tell me the pros and cons of each. I know Litespeed is
    > >much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?
    >
    > They are all just bikes. Unless they fit identically, always choose the one that fits better.
    >
    > Since you've narrowed it down thus far, if you want a useful response to this kind of question you
    > have to tell us the criteria you used to arrive at these two. What's the budget, intended use, why
    > is the geometry right for you, expected payload, etc.
    >
    > I would also compare your choices to similar lower-cost alternatives and ask whether there is any
    > functional benefit to the more costly models, and ask yourself whether the premium is really worth
    > it. (Maybe it is.)
    >
    > --Paul

    ---

  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > Unfortunately, none of the local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind of hard to take one for a test
    > drive. I can get one ordered from the local shop but when I order it I will be stuck with it.

    Well, since the Seven is custom, there's really no reason to believe that you won't like the fit and
    I'm sure many on this board will tell you that they bought their Seven(s) unseen and untested. Since
    it is custom made for you, there is no way you can ever test it first right?

    I think it's a matter of getting a proper fit and being comfortable with it. Seven sends you the
    specs of your bike so that you get a very good idea of how it's going to be. If you're currently
    riding a 54cm and Seven comes back with either a 48cm or a 62cm, then something is definitely wrong.

    You'll find that most LBSs don't stock a lot of Moots, Sevens, Serotta Ti, etc in all the different
    sizes so it comes to trusting your LBS or whoever is doing the fitting for you. Any decent Ti frame
    will last you 10 years whether it be Seven, Moots, Habanero or Litespeed. I don't buy into that
    integrated headset, prorietary tech stuff though. At the end of the day, get something you're
    comfortable and happy with.

    alan

  18. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Guru bike isn't the most comfortable on century rides and I am told by a friend of mine (who is
    >a Litespeed dealer) that a Ti bike is much easier on the body than aluminums.

    Just a word of caution - if you spend a lot of money (or even a little money...) on a ti bike to get
    more "comfort", you'll be wasting the money. They have lots of other benefits (lack of paint being
    my personal favorite), but you'd never be able to pick out the painted ti bike in a blind test ride.

    Believe me, I'd gladly jump on the "magic carpet ride" bandwagon if it were true...

  19. Bikerider7

    Bikerider7 Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > I am considering buying another bike and I have my choices narrowed down to a litespeed Tuscany
    > and the Seven Axiom. If anyone has one of these models could you please tell me the pros and cons
    > of each. I know Litespeed is a much bigger company that Seven. Are their bikes more advanced?

    The Litespeed seems a bit heavy to me. I considered purchasing the Tuscany last year until I saw in
    their catalog that a 60cm frame weighed 3.6 pounds. There are plenty of frames in that price range
    that are significantly lighter.

    Of course, there are more important things than weight. But all other things being equal...

    I would look at Dean and Independent Fabrication.

  20. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Unfortunately, none of the local dealers stock SEVEN so it is kind
    of hard
    > > to take one for a test drive. I can get one ordered from the local
    shop but
    > > when I order it I will be stuck with it.
    > >
    > Well, since the Seven is custom, there's really no reason to believe that you won't like the fit
    > and I'm sure many on this board will tell you that they bought their Seven(s) unseen and untested.
    > Since it is custom made for you, there is no way you can ever test it first right?
    >
    > I think it's a matter of getting a proper fit and being comfortable with it. Seven sends you
    > the specs of your bike so that you get a very good idea of how it's going to be. If you're
    > currently riding a 54cm and Seven comes back with either a 48cm or a 62cm, then something is
    > definitely wrong.
    >
    > You'll find that most LBSs don't stock a lot of Moots, Sevens, Serotta Ti, etc in all the
    > different sizes so it comes to trusting your LBS or whoever is doing the fitting for you. Any
    > decent Ti frame will last you 10 years whether it be Seven, Moots, Habanero or Litespeed. I don't
    > buy into that integrated headset, prorietary tech stuff though. At the end of the day, get
    > something you're comfortable and happy with.

    10 years? Hell, I have a 1986 Cannondale frame bought new for about $300 that I have raced, trashed,
    drilled, beaten and ignored for probably 50K miles -- and it is still going strong as my commuter
    bike. 10 years on a $2,600 frame does not seem like a very good return on investment -- regardless
    of its magical riding characteristics. I would hope that the Seven frame would last forever, or
    until stolen or crushed by a car. -- Jay Beattie.