SevenCycles "Duo" - URT?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by x, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. x

    x Guest

    Tags:

  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Pic sort of looks like it....
    >
    > http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html

    Looks like a Klein too ;-)
    http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_bikes/palomino/palomino_xx/index.html

    Did you see on the seven site were it says the bike's meant for "XC Epic and Freeriding"? Yup, I'm
    gonna huck my Ti $7000 XC bike off a cliff. Sure,, yeah, uh huh!

    Shawn C.

    P.S. These and Maverick bikes all are using Paul Turner's "Maverick" suspension design.
    http://www.maverickamerican.com/

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pic sort of looks like it....
    >
    > http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Maverick rear suspension link - the BB is actually in the middle of "monolink", which connects the
    front triangle to the and the shock is a structural member. Makes a pretty nice ride.

    I just found out my TA for my CNC shop worked/works for seven... he's brining in his maverick fork
    for me to drool over monday. I'm trying to work that a little bit to get an internship, sponsorship
    for my team, or even just a factory tour... 'cause that'd be hot.

    Jon Bond

  4. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Maverick rear suspension link - the BB is actually in the middle of "monolink", which connects the
    >front triangle to the and the shock is a structural member. Makes a pretty nice ride.

    Does that mean the chain remains the same length as the sus works?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >Maverick rear suspension link - the BB is actually in the middle of "monolink", which connects
    > >the front triangle to the and the shock is a structural member. Makes a pretty nice ride.
    >
    > Does that mean the chain remains the same length as the sus works?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Nope. The BB is in the middle of the link, so it does change some.

    Here's a decent look at the link and BB hole from maverick's website:

    http://www.maverickamerican.com/images/shock_pressure.jpg

    and a bare frame for the whole picture:

    http://www.maverickamerican.com/images/colors_black_med.jpg

    and look, even an annoying animated gif of it in action:

    http://www.maverickamerican.com/images/shockanimation.gif

    there's more info at http://www.maverickamerican.com/ too.

    The ride is pretty sweet - but they're expensive. The klein is the cheapest, but I didn't like the
    geometry much, so I went with the blur. If you're looking for a sweet trail bike though, and don't
    mind spending a bit of cash, the monolink system is pretty damn sweet.

    Jon Bond

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:56:02 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pic sort of looks like it....
    >
    >http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html

    If anybody plunks down 3 to 7 grand for this hyped up POS they're out of their friggin mind!

    MY GOD, SHIRLEY YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS THAT BALL IS CLEARLY LONG! This type of marketing and wild
    abandon consumerism is just simply ridiculous. This bike can not possibly be worth it. I could
    probably slap together a Walgoose for 1/8th the cost and ride it once or twice, much like 7 grand
    model will be ridden, be just as happy.

    Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
    probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
    out, your time has come.

    What is happening to MTBing?!

    Am I obsessing over the ignorance of others? Perhaps, but damn c'mon who buys that crap? I just
    can't seem to let stupidity go without a rant or two. I swear I try and work on it...promise.

    Peace, Bill(back to the basics where I belong)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to
    find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the
    geared pigs lie...

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > Same idea as the I-drive. Seems like having the bottom bracket part of the rear triangle defeats
    > the rear suspension.

    Actually, I've never really heard anyone complain about the ride quality of the i-drive. Believe me,
    I would never encourage anyone to buy one, but I've had a hell of time convincing some of my friends
    not to buy one after they've hopped on mine.
    --
    Slacker

  8. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Shawn Curry wrote:
    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    >> Pic sort of looks like it....
    >>
    >> http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
    >

    > Looks like a Klein too ;-)
    > http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_bikes/palomino/palomino_xx/index.html
    >
    > Did you see on the seven site were it says the bike's meant for "XC Epic and Freeriding"? Yup, I'm
    > gonna huck my Ti $7000 XC bike off a cliff. Sure,, yeah, uh huh!
    >
    > Shawn C.
    >
    > P.S. These and Maverick bikes all are using Paul Turner's "Maverick" suspension design.
    > http://www.maverickamerican.com/

    Bleck. People never learn.

    Greg

  9. Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html

    > Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
    > probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
    > out, your time has come.

    Relax, Bill. It's just a damn bike. People pay lots of money for a Rolex even though a Timex keeps
    just time just as well. (Watch some Rolex guy flame me.) It doesn't hurt anyone and keeps a few
    boutique watchmakers or framebuilders in business.

    > What is happening to MTBing?!

    Uh, nothing. It isn't about the bike, it's about the ride, right? It's not like expensive MTB
    jewelry is anything new - like CNC-machined cranks. At least the Seven will probably last longer.

    > Am I obsessing over the ignorance of others? Perhaps, but damn c'mon who buys that crap? I just
    > can't seem to let stupidity go without a rant or two. I swear I try and work on it...promise.

    I wouldn't buy one in a hundred years, but it's no skin off my nose if someone else does. It's not
    like they took it away from me.

  10. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > > Same idea as the I-drive. Seems like having the bottom bracket part of the rear triangle defeats
    > > the rear suspension.
    >

    > Actually, I've never really heard anyone complain about the ride quality
    of
    > the i-drive. Believe me, I would never encourage anyone to buy one, but
    I've
    > had a hell of time convincing some of my friends not to buy one after they've hopped on mine.
    > --
    > Slacker

    In terms of ride quality, the Idrives were actually fairly decent. However, the design and
    manufacturing of the bike was the big problem. They were portly, fragile, and... well, ugly!

    Companies like maverick and seven take the time to really design their bikes - not just design the
    suspension. Ever ridden a Seven Sola, their ti hard tail? They're amazing. The welds are beautiful,
    they're light as a feather, and the handling is out of this world. Sure, they're expensive. But so's
    a porche, or a ferrari - when a civic or a jetta will get you to work just as well.

    Jon Bond

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Benjamin Weiner wrote:
    > Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
    >
    >> Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
    >> probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
    >> out, your time has come.
    >
    > Relax, Bill. It's just a damn bike. People pay lots of money for a Rolex even though a Timex keeps
    > just time just as well. (Watch some Rolex guy flame me.) It doesn't hurt anyone and keeps a few
    > boutique watchmakers or framebuilders in business.

    If Billy is going to slap down that kind of cabbage, he just wants to make sure he gets his money's
    worth http://tinyurl.com/3abkw

    --
    Slacker

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    >>> Same idea as the I-drive. Seems like having the bottom bracket part of the rear triangle defeats
    >>> the rear suspension.
    >>

    >> Actually, I've never really heard anyone complain about the ride quality of the i-drive. Believe
    >> me, I would never encourage anyone to buy one, but I've had a hell of time convincing some of my
    >> friends not to buy one after they've hopped on mine.
    >> --
    >> Slacker
    >
    > In terms of ride quality, the Idrives were actually fairly decent. However, the design and
    > manufacturing of the bike was the big problem. They were portly, fragile, and... well, ugly!

    Yes, that's why I specified, "ride quality."

    > Companies like maverick and seven take the time to really design their bikes - not just design
    > the suspension. Ever ridden a Seven Sola, their ti hard tail? They're amazing. The welds are
    > beautiful, they're light as a feather, and the handling is out of this world. Sure, they're
    > expensive. But so's a porche, or a ferrari - when a civic or a jetta will get you to work just
    > as well.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Everything I've read/heard about Maverick and Seven says quality. I've never seen one in the flesh
    though, but I would like to.

    Didn't mean to make any comparison between Mav/7 and the i-drive; Worlds apart.

    I agree about getting what you pay for. Trust me, I just spent another $750 for parts to finish my
    Turner. Nothing left to buy except some pedals, grips and a chain. Yippee!!!
    --
    Slacker

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    >>
    >>>Same idea as the I-drive. Seems like having the bottom bracket part of the rear triangle defeats
    >>>the rear suspension.
    >>

    >>Actually, I've never really heard anyone complain about the ride quality
    >
    > of
    >
    >>the i-drive. Believe me, I would never encourage anyone to buy one, but
    >
    > I've
    >
    >>had a hell of time convincing some of my friends not to buy one after they've hopped on mine.
    >>--
    >>Slacker
    >

    > In terms of ride quality, the Idrives were actually fairly decent. However, the design and
    > manufacturing of the bike was the big problem. They were portly, fragile, and... well, ugly!
    >
    > Companies like maverick and seven take the time to really design their bikes - not just design the
    > suspension.

    Why'd they take the time to come up with such a crappy, old idea?

    Greg

  14. Rocketman

    Rocketman Guest

    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:56:02 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Pic sort of looks like it....
    > >
    > >http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html

    > If anybody plunks down 3 to 7 grand for this hyped up POS they're out of their friggin mind!

    If they buy it for the hype, they're buying for the wrong reasons, IMHO.

    > This type of marketing and wild abandon consumerism is just simply ridiculous.

    You live in the wealthiest nation the world has ever seen. There are millions of millionaires in the
    US (FWIW). I don't know where you live, but in Chicago the streets are full of $100,000+ Mercedes',
    Porsches, Lamborghini's, etc, etc. If you live in a $1,000,000 condo in Chicago, then a $7,000 bike
    is less than one mortgage payment.

    > This bike can not possibly be worth it. I could probably slap together a Walgoose for 1/8th the
    > cost and ride it once or twice, much like 7 grand model will be ridden, be just as happy.

    Look, Bill, I know exactly where you're coming from. But at the upper stratosphere of rarity and
    personalized, customized craftsmanship using exotic materials, cost goes up exponentially. If
    there were numerous Seven Cycles franchises, and they were churning out thousands of these frames
    per annum, the price would drop (less rare, more standardized production, spread
    advertising/marketing costs over larger revenues, cheaper skilled labor, etc). Quality might be
    *almost* as high; but not quite.

    That's not their business model. Seven occupies the rarified air at the very top of the quality
    spectrum. They sell their products for what the market will bear.

    > Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
    > probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
    > out, your time has come.

    Rather than berating those guys, you should feel sorry for them. Sure, they have a Seven hanging on
    the wall in their beautiful condo in the city; but they're so busy chasing the brass ring they never
    have time to ride. I know guys like that: $4,000 bikes sitting for years and years, unridden. They
    *want* to ride; but can't find the time. Pity them. Those of us who get to ride often are the more
    fortunate.

    > What is happening to MTBing?!

    It's being sold as an elite[ist] lifestyle accessory, like every other feature of American life. I
    remember being horrified back in the early 80's when everything had to have a designer label. That
    seems quaint by comparison to our current elitist social pressures. You're right to be incensed,
    IMO. It's a vulgar display of wealth, much of the time. I can't stand seeing middle-income Americans
    buying $65,000 SUV's that are too precious to ever have a speck of dust on them, let alone go
    offroad. They should be driving a Camry for 1/3 the cost and 3x the gas mileage.

    > Am I obsessing over the ignorance of others?

    You're responding to increasingly vulgar displays of wealth and conspicuous consumption that are all
    around you.

    > Perhaps, but damn c'mon who buys that crap? I just can't seem to let stupidity go without a rant
    > or two. I swear I try and work on it...promise.

    Be happy that you have found joy in simplicity. Yours is the enlightened path.

    "Why do you ride a bike?" asked the Zen master. "I ride a bike to ride a bike" answered his student.
    "I am your disciple" replied the master.

    R0cketman

  15. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >MY GOD, SHIRLEY YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS

    I couldn't stomach the price. What I was looking for was a custom FS to fit my somewhat-weird
    proportions. Recently got a custom hardtail and am impressed with how much difference a couple
    inches here and there can make.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  16. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > If you're looking for a sweet trail bike though, and don't mind spending a
    bit
    > of cash, the monolink system is pretty damn sweet.

    Is it? I am not saying that it is bad, but I am far from convinced that a "floating" bottom bracket
    is the optimal solution. Kind of partly negates the suspension. A kind of bastard URT? A lot of
    hype. People who spent that much tend to write extremely partial reviews, after if it is not any
    good, they are suckers who paid that much.

    It is intersting that some pretty negative reviews are turning up on last years VPP-bikes now. For
    the moment I will stick to my trusty Switchblade.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  17. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > I would never encourage anyone to buy one, but I've had a hell of time convincing some of my
    > friends not to buy one after they've hopped on mine.

    One thing that appealed to me was their add touting the "one tool" dissassembly....well actually two
    if you count the BB shell....but being able to take a bike apart and reassemble it just with a 5mm
    allen key does have it's appeal.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:12:16 -0800, "Slacker" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Benjamin Weiner wrote:

    >>> Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
    >>> probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
    >>> out, your time has come.
    >>
    >> Relax, Bill. It's just a damn bike. People pay lots of money for a Rolex even though a Timex
    >> keeps just time just as well. (Watch some Rolex guy flame me.) It doesn't hurt anyone and keeps a
    >> few boutique watchmakers or framebuilders in business.
    >

    >If Billy is going to slap down that kind of cabbage, he just wants to make sure he gets his money's
    >worth http://tinyurl.com/3abkw

    Already got one...

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  19. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Per Löwdin wrote:

    >>If you're looking for a sweet trail bike though, and don't mind spending a
    >
    > bit
    >
    >>of cash, the monolink system is pretty damn sweet.
    >

    > Is it? I am not saying that it is bad, but I am far from convinced that a "floating" bottom
    > bracket is the optimal solution. Kind of partly negates the suspension. A kind of bastard URT? A
    > lot of hype. People who spent that much tend to write extremely partial reviews, after if it is
    > not any good, they are suckers who paid that much.
    >
    > It is intersting that some pretty negative reviews are turning up on last years VPP-bikes now. For
    > the moment I will stick to my trusty Switchblade.
    >
    > Per http://lowdin.nu

    Been riding the poor bastard cousin of the Seven and Maverick from that low end manufacturer Klein
    for a year. Granted I only had 19 years of mountain biking, almost all on hard tails, before I
    bought it, but it does (IMOSHO) ride quite nicely. Wish I knew how I was a sucker in the deal, but I
    just haven't discovered the faults my bike so clearly has (besides the slipping seat post-had to
    trade in my cool orange frame for boring white). You've gotta remember, the bikes rags job is
    picking apart nearly identical bikes. These guys can split the difference between a Gala and a Fuji
    (apples) so that you'll think one is a yummy fruit and the other is door knob. Just not real world
    useful information.

    Shawn