SevenCycles "Duo" - URT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:HdyXb.180350$U%5.885713@attbi_s03...
> Bill Wheeler wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:15:04 GMT, "Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>>If they really wanted to ride, they'd be flipping burgers in Moab. I don't pity them one little
> >>>bit, I laugh at them.
> >>
> >>Many Americans live in quiet desperation.
> >
> >
> > No, no, no
> >
> > ....quiet desperation is the English way.....song is over thought I'd something more to say.
> >
> >
> > Peace (Dark Side Of The Moon) Wheeler
> >
>
> Funny you should mention that one. Today I borrowed the CD from the library its right under my
> nose. Had the vinyl forever. Stylus broke.
>
> Shawn (Ticking away the moments that make up the dull day) C.

And then one day you find Ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run You missed the
starting gun....

I scored a bunch of classic rock, metal and punk albums (on vinyl, of course) a few years ago for $1
each at a local thrift shop. Many of them are in mint condition. It incluced a bunch of Pink Floyd
(Umma Gumma, Atom Heart Mother, etc), Stones, Beatles, Buzzcocks, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Clash,
Pistols, Hendrix (including live imports), Iggy and the Stooges, MC5, etc, etc. It's like the
history of rock in two plastic record crates.

I passed up the entire Rush catalog, in mint condition. (Never liked them much.) The store owner
said that somebody had come in the day before and bought like 200 records. What the hell did I
miss??!!?? I don't even want to think about it.

Rocketman "reformed vinyl junkie"

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Per Löwdin wrote:
> >>Yes, I do.
> >
> >
> > No, you don´t understand. There are a couple of really technically demanding sections in that
> > video, but most of it is an easy trail, the type we ride pretty fast, sorry no offence, when we
> > go to the start of our singletrack.
> >
>
> You crack me up.
>
> Greg

That makes two of us, Greg. For someone who has never even heard of that trail, they sure seem to
think they know quite a bit about it.

JD

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:56:02 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Pic sort of looks like it....
>>
>>http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
>
>
> If anybody plunks down 3 to 7 grand for this hyped up POS they're out of their friggin mind!

Funny, I say the same thing about you and your $200.00 Biatch...

>
> MY GOD, SHIRLEY YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS THAT BALL IS CLEARLY LONG! This type of marketing and wild
> abandon consumerism is just simply ridiculous.

Wild abandon consumerism? What country do you live in?

This bike can not possibly be worth it. I could probably
> slap together a Walgoose for 1/8th the cost and ride it once or twice, much like 7 grand model
> will be ridden, be just as happy.

I dare ya'

>
> Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
> probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
> out, your time has come.

"YAWN"

>
> What is happening to MTBing?!

The hype mobile rolls merrily along...perpetuated by those much like yourself...

>
> Am I obsessing over the ignorance of others?

Why, yes. You are. But what else is new?

> Perhaps, but damn c'mon who buys that ****?

Someone with the money to do so...are you really this thick in real life?

> I just can't seem to let stupidity go without a rant or two. I swear I try and work on
> it...promise.
>

You should. It's not very becoming. Especially from someone such as yourself (hype driven)

See below...

> Peace, Bill(back to the basics where I belong)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to
> find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the
> geared pigs lie...
>

The prosecution rests (at the top of the hill, while you push your bike up!)

"Slacker" <[email protected]> had this to say

> Benjamin Weiner wrote:
>> Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>> http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
>>
>>> Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
>>> probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
>>> out, your time has come.
>>
>> Relax, Bill. It's just a damn bike. People pay lots of money for a Rolex even though a Timex
>> keeps just time just as well. (Watch some Rolex guy flame me.) It doesn't hurt anyone and keeps a
>> few boutique watchmakers or framebuilders in business.
>
>
> If Billy is going to slap down that kind of cabbage, he just wants to make sure he gets his
> money's worth http://tinyurl.com/3abkw
>
> --
> Slacker

HAHAHAHAHA, bet that thing has more than one speed too!

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > What's not challenging about going fast on a tight and twisty singletrack? What's not
> > challenging about riding Broken Mesa with finesse, speed and style?
>
> Did I write that it is not challenging?

No, but your eurosnotty attitude indicated that you think it is not as challenging as the trails you
ride. You have never ridden there, so how do you know?

> > You've never been there, nor do you know where it is.
>
> Now, I do, http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/broken-tg.htm, and it was a pretty good video,
> surely, it was not shot on the least spectacular bits. Looks like great fun :)

How do you know it was not shot in the least spectacular bits? How can you tell from a two-
dimensional medium just how technical, or a-technical it is? The bottom line is, you've never
ridden there!

You've crossed over from funny to hilarious. Want to try for hysterical?

JD

[email protected] (JD) had this to say

> "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> > What's not challenging about going fast on a tight and twisty singletrack? What's not
>> > challenging about riding Broken Mesa with finesse, speed and style?
>>
>> Did I write that it is not challenging?
>
> No, but your eurosnotty attitude indicated that you think it is not as challenging as the trails
> you ride. You have never ridden there, so how do you know?
>
>> > You've never been there, nor do you know where it is.
>>
>> Now, I do, http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/broken-tg.htm, and it was a pretty good
>> video, surely, it was not shot on the least spectacular bits. Looks like great fun :)
>
> How do you know it was not shot in the least spectacular bits? How can you tell from a two-
> dimensional medium just how technical, or a-technical it is? The bottom line is, you've never
> ridden there!
>
> You've crossed over from funny to hilarious. Want to try for hysterical?
>
> JD

Ah, welcome back ya' old codger. We missed the blight that you offer....

Per Löwdin wrote:
>
> Funny or not funny, is sort of OT, I am genuinely interested in the design of the Duo. I wonder if
> it really is an improvement? Brilliant new

>

The latter.

And you still crack me up.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

"G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say

> Per Löwdin wrote:
>>
>> Funny or not funny, is sort of OT, I am genuinely interested in the design of the Duo. I wonder
>> if it really is an improvement? Brilliant

>>
>
> The latter.
>
> And you still crack me up.
>
> Greg

is there an echo in here?

"mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:p[email protected]

>
> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Dave, how's the weather been in your part of the south?
>
>

Rain, Rain, and well, you know the story. Weather that originates down in the gulf usually makes it
up to here, but it's usually not as strong as when it blows through your part of the world...

By the way, did I mention the rain?

Dave (no droughts two years running!)

JD wrote:
> "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>What's not challenging about going fast on a tight and twisty singletrack? What's not challenging
>>>about riding Broken Mesa with finesse, speed and style?
>>
>>Did I write that it is not challenging?
>
>
> No, but your eurosnotty attitude indicated that you think it is not as challenging as the trails
> you ride. You have never ridden there, so how do you know?
>

I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't know what fast is. 40 to 50 mph and "technical"
don't mix well.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:p[email protected]
>
> >
> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Dave, how's the weather been in your part of the south?
> >
> >
>
> Rain, Rain, and well, you know the story. Weather that originates down in the gulf usually makes
> it up to here, but it's usually not as strong as when it blows through your part of the world...
>
Worst part about the rain of late, the fronts have been stalling right on top of us.

> By the way, did I mention the rain?
>
Rain? What rain?

> Dave (no droughts two years running!)
>
Couple years ago, we were having a drought.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Per Löwdin wrote:
> >
> > Funny or not funny, is sort of OT, I am genuinely interested in the
design
> > of the Duo. I wonder if it really is an improvement? Brilliant new

> >
>
> The latter.
>
> And you still crack me up.
>
> Greg

Um, actually, there are a few big differences between the two. One is the fact that the BB is
actually on a link, not on a solid rear triangle. Second is the fact that there IS a link at the
bottom. Third - the shock is a structural member of the frame. This makes huge changes -
mechanically the two are very very dissimilar.

The resulting axle path, compression ratios, and so on are extremely different. The ride is also way
different - and yes I've ridden both (gf joshua and a couple others, and then the klein while
looking last spring) Just because it looks somewhat similar doesn't mean its the same. Ru Paul may
look (somewhat) like a woman, but the ride quality is way different....

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Per Löwdin wrote:
>>
>>>Funny or not funny, is sort of OT, I am genuinely interested in the
>
> design
>
>>>of the Duo. I wonder if it really is an improvement? Brilliant new

>>>
>>
>>The latter.
>>
>>And you still crack me up.
>>
>>Greg
>
>
> Um, actually, there are a few big differences between the two. One is the fact that the BB is
> actually on a link, not on a solid rear triangle. Second is the fact that there IS a link at the
> bottom. Third - the shock is a structural member of the frame. This makes huge changes -
> mechanically the two are very very dissimilar.
>
> The resulting axle path, compression ratios, and so on are extremely different. The ride is also
> way different - and yes I've ridden both (gf joshua and a couple others, and then the klein while
> looking last spring) Just because it looks somewhat similar doesn't mean its the same. Ru Paul may
> look (somewhat) like a woman, but the ride quality is way different....
>
> Jon Bond
>
>
Since Trek licences the design (via Klein) I won't be surprised when it shows up in much less
expensive bikes. I wonder of those dissing the design, how many of you have ridden one (more than
around a parking lot)? Question does not apply to the ludite crowd. Sorry Bill :)

Cheers, Shawn

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
> Um, actually, there are a few big differences between the two. One is the fact that the BB is
> actually on a link, not on a solid rear triangle. Second is the fact that there IS a link at the
> bottom. Third - the shock
is
> a structural member of the frame. This makes huge changes - mechanically the two are very very
> dissimilar.

Jon, no matter how you put it, it's still a variation of a theme. A poor theme, at that.

>
> The resulting axle path, compression ratios, and so on are extremely different.

Extremely different and yet still a URT.

Greg

"Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:LFQXb.40127$yE5.148046@attbi_s54...
>
> Since Trek licences the design (via Klein) I won't be surprised when it shows up in much less
> expensive bikes. I wonder of those dissing the design, how many of you have ridden one (more than
> around a parking lot)?

I have, and there is noticeable variation in saddle to BB distance. I'll pass. And I'll pass on any
future URT variations.

When the very first URTs came out in 1992/1993 people were gushing over them. I rode a couple, low
and high pivot, and quickly predicted their demise. It took awhile for the hype to die down and the
hardcore defenders to admit to succumbing to hype but my prediction generally rang true. And I
predict that in 5 years nobody will care about Maverick and their derivatives. All the while plain
old 4-bar bikes and single-pivot bikes will continue to be refined to fit all riding styles.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> "Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:LFQXb.40127$yE5.148046@attbi_s54...
>
>>Since Trek licences the design (via Klein) I won't be surprised when it shows up in much less
>>expensive bikes. I wonder of those dissing the design, how many of you have ridden one (more than
>>around a parking lot)?
>
>
> I have, and there is noticeable variation in saddle to BB distance. I'll pass. And I'll pass on
> any future URT variations.

You must have a sensative butt! Mine moves a bit less than an inch with a full travel hit.

> When the very first URTs came out in 1992/1993 people were gushing over them. I rode a couple, low
> and high pivot, and quickly predicted their demise. It took awhile for the hype to die down and
> the hardcore defenders to admit to succumbing to hype but my prediction generally rang true. And I
> predict that in 5 years nobody will care about Maverick and their derivatives. All the while plain
> old 4-bar bikes and single-pivot bikes will continue to be refined to fit all riding styles.

Could be, and Hillary will be in the White House ;-)

Shawn

Shawn Curry wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>> "Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:LFQXb.40127$yE5.148046@attbi_s54...
>>
>>> Since Trek licences the design (via Klein) I won't be surprised when it shows up in much less
>>> expensive bikes. I wonder of those dissing the design, how many of you have ridden one (more
>>> than around a parking lot)?
>>
>>
>>
>> I have, and there is noticeable variation in saddle to BB distance. I'll pass. And I'll pass on
>> any future URT variations.
>
>
> You must have a sensative butt! Mine moves a bit less than an inch with a full travel hit.

Sensitive knees.

Greg

--

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:56:02 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Pic sort of looks like it....
> >
> >http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/duo.html
>
>
> If anybody plunks down 3 to 7 grand for this hyped up POS they're out of their friggin mind!

I was gonna just quote the whole damn post and type "nice" at the end, but decided not to, after
this wonderful rant...

> MY GOD, SHIRLEY YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS THAT BALL IS CLEARLY LONG!

A McEnroe fan - my kind of people. :)

> This type of marketing and wild abandon consumerism is just simply ridiculous. This bike can not
> possibly be worth it. I could probably slap together a Walgoose for 1/8th the cost and ride it
> once or twice, much like 7 grand model will be ridden, be just as happy.

But some folks can just plain afford it. Seven G is pocket change to some people, so you can't go
all nuts over the price. And some folks have to have the most exclusive ride there is. Not only
custom, but frikkin' expensive custom. Like picking up a Ferarri Enzo. No screwin' around, Bubba -
just lay down the green. Sure, it's a garage queen, only rolled out for posing, but whatever. OTOH,
there are some folk out there who can afford it AND will drive it. $600 oil changes and all.

> Have people completely lost their minds? Who are the idiots who pay that much for a bike that
> probably gets ridden 4 to 5 times a year? Please, speak up I really want to know. I'm callin you
> out, your time has come.

Probably not somebody who has the time to peruse USENET. Some folks just have to have *the best* of
everything, no matter the cost or value. "Cost is no object" kind of thinking.

> What is happening to MTBing?!

Freeriding. People buying way expensive posing rigs are gonna happen regardless of the hobby you're
talking about. I'd bet that Penny could tell a story of somebody buying a high-end sewing machine
and using it three or four times a year. Had to have the best, you know.

Really, though, illegal and off-trail riding is the major problem. Expensive bikes? Not even a blip
on the screen, my friend.

> Am I obsessing over the ignorance of others? Perhaps, but damn c'mon who buys that ****? I just
> can't seem to let stupidity go without a rant or two. I swear I try and work on it...promise.

And there's the "keeping up with the Jones'" aspect. He's got a Ti Lightspeed, ya know, so I gots to
get me an Ibis Bow Ti. (fill in appropriate brand/model as you see fit.)

Fact: people will buy something without doing even the barest research. Hell, I agonized for two
years to buy a replacement for my Kona. Some folks just whip out the CC and buy.

Fact: Much of the time, you get what you pay for. Not all the time, however. Sometimes more
expensive does NOT equal more better. Without research, you just don't know. The advice given here
often is "buy the best bike you can afford." Some folks concentrate on the "afford" part and forget
about the "best" part.

A simple, well-made bike assembled with care can be just as, if not more, rewarding than an ultra-high-
dollar bike if only for the simple reason that it gets ridden, rather than being expensive bike-
shaped art. Geared or not, suspended or not, it doesn't matter. Because if you have ever ridden and
had the bike disappear beneath you to become one with you - you'll know that the bike isn't really
as important as the ride. I always believed it, but had just never experienced it until last year.
Seven or Giant - it doesn't matter when it's all working.
--
Jonesy (Composed with the aid of some Bigfoot)

Status
Not open for further replies.