Severe leg ache

Honest989

Jul 28, 2004
Ok, I feel somewhat hard done by. About a year and a half ago I had two injuries in quick succession - one was pulling all the tendons in my right foot, the second was either torn back muscle or a pinched disc (in either case, I couldn't straighten up or turn left or right for a while) So I've been out of racing for a full season at least.

I've kept up my fitness though, but not via club runs - typically by a 20 mile commute at a good pace of about 20/22 mph.

Yesterday, I joined a club run - I live in Aberdeen but had to head to Banchory to do it - this was via a fairly hilly route and when I saw the club run going the opposite direction after I'd just descended 'the Strachan' and I went back up again and followed them. I was fairly dismayed at what came next - I yo-yo'd on the descents and then got dropped on a fairly straight 3/4 mile stretch. Clearly I'm not as fit as I thought I was. By the time I'd got home, we'd probably covered 55-60 miles but I just couldn't bear standing up. My legs had this dull ache that was intolerable after a while on my feet and I actually had to lie down for 30 minutes or so - even then it hadn't completely disappeared.

Have I really lost so much form that this is the result? I've done an etape du tour and never experienced anything like this before!! Is this good old muscle fatigue and will it go after some decent training again?

My friend as a person who suffers from herniated discs and sciatica you need to see your GP you and than set you up with a a Physiatrist or Orthopedist as your symptoms based upon my experience are coming from the pinched nerve. Do you have trouble for sitting for long periods of time? This is a definite indication of an issue but since you are still able to ride it may not be that bad. In any case I strongly recommend you should see your Doctor before doing any further riding as you may be aggravating the situation.

-js

No trouble sitting for long periods - I used to get this occasionally (the leg pain) even before i hurt my back, but typically it diminished the more miles I got in my legs over a season. I'm not experiencing any numbness or tingling, but it's just the ache in both my legs was so painful I had to get my weight off them - i just wondered if it was more a muscle issue than result of injury?
Could it be riding position/saddle height issue?

I should also point out here that when I say leg pain, the ache was localised to my thighs - nowhere else

It can be riding position but based upon your post you have been riding with this same bike position for some time and have had no issue? Correct? Or did you change something before this ride? If all is the same than I doubt it is bike position. But to rule it out simply go to a LBS and get a professional bike setup done.

Nerve issues come in many different forms and no two people will usually have the same symptoms. Dull aches can be nerve related. I would first do some longer easier rides and see if it bothers you, best on a trainer where you can control the environment. You need to experiment a bit to narrow down the trigger events to better understand it. Than if you have see a Doctor you can better explain it.

-js

Went to the GP on 2nd poster's advice - it is indeed cramp. Really just a case of drinking more electrolytes? This crops up after just 40 miles but only when I stop.

Last question - does anyone here ride on speedplays for orthotic reasons? My foot is toe-out and drops at a camber and I have never been able to align my cleats right that I don't end up with some minor knee irritation on spd-sl's. Just wondering if it's worth switching to those or trying something else

Never hurts to get that opinion and put the mind at ease. Now just a matter of better nutrition on the rides.

As for the cleats someone with more experience needs to give you that advice.

gl,

-js

Some reading on the ol' issue of fore foot varus (where the outside of the foot seems to cant downwards)

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCWhatsNewDetail.jsp?article=9016&refp=USHome&menuItemId=0&articleType=CompanyNews&gold_ses=

So you have a GP that's open on the weekends that managed to test your blood and urine samples for accurate diagnosis or did you just tell them that you rode for a few hours and got what feels like cramp?

The odd thing is that you get cramp only after you stop. If it was an electrolyte deficiency you'd more likely get it while you were riding. Most folk are far from deficient in sodium - so it's a guessing game as to whether it's potassium, calcium, magnesium or something else...

Pedialyte is a great way to get large amounts of electrolytes into your system without having to guzzle massive amounts of sugar too. Sure it's made for kids but it works well for adults and makes a fantasic "morning after" beverage after a couple o' dozen frosty brews the day before.

I don't think it's coincidence that you're asking about foot/pedal positioning in a thread about muscle pain...

swampy->I was also wondering a bit as I have ridden a lot and I have never been not able to bear not standing up from a lack of electrolytes but I am no Doctor. When using terms like not being able to stand up from aches I tend to lean more towards physical than nutrition.

-js