Severe leg cramping

Frank D.

Jul 16, 2005
On my ride the other day not going much harder or longer then usual. I experienced the worst cramping . Both thighs compleatly knoted up and i was forced to lay down my bike . I could'nt bend either leg for a couple of minutes. Finally I was able to painfully bend at the knee. I slowly pedaled the last 10 miles home. That was 2 days ago . No more cramping but both thighs still very sore. Is this normal ? anyone else have this type of experience? Any idea's on how to prevent this from reoccurring Thanks for any advice.

Frank D. said:
On my ride the other day not going much harder or longer then usual. I experienced the worst cramping . Both thighs compleatly knoted up and i was forced to lay down my bike . I could'nt bend either leg for a couple of minutes. Finally I was able to painfully bend at the knee. I slowly pedaled the last 10 miles home. That was 2 days ago . No more cramping but both thighs still very sore. Is this normal ? anyone else have this type of experience? Any idea's on how to prevent this from reoccurring Thanks for any advice.
Drink MORE fluids ... water and/or something like Cytomax BEFORE & DURING the ride.

Frank D. said:
Yes, recently

Information that might be helpful

I had cramps sometimes at the end of the race, but now had not cramped a while as for approx. a month I `m using a special magnesium supplement. Of course you can not forget about drinking and eating properly in a race.

Epsom salts are a magnesium supplement. Just take less than 1/4 of the laxative dose.

Also, cramps can be caused by just plain not drinking enough.

i have had a few bad cramps but have only been racing for ~5 months. I simply put it down to not being adapted to the distance and it being a sign that my glycogen stores were gone at the end of the race. Training and more racing have fixed it.

Frank D. said:
ENDUROLYTES! ENDUROLYTES! ENDUROLYTES!

It is made by Hammer Nutrition.

The thing works very well. I take one at the onset of cramps in my legs, and before you know it, the cramp has disappeared. I sometimes break the capsule and swallow the powder directly, and I am good to go.

Try it!!!

Super

I have found that ensuring that I drink ample fluids (usually one water bottle every half hour of riding) and topping up with a run of the mill magnesium supplement does the trick. I very rarely cramp now...

When I first starting riding last year I too had issues with cramping. What ended it for me was L-glutimine that you can get from any health food store. I only use it during the riding season and has worked wonders. No more cramps.

I had quad cramps over a few weeks last year, was drinking enough but was in the middle of a huge training phase.

Get some "Elete" products. It comes in liquid form for your drinks during the ride and tablet form. I use both. It's a massive dose of electrolytes and should sort you out.