Severn Across 29th Apr

MartinM

Guest
As I'm sure no-one else is going to be daft enough to try any of El
Supremo's events longer than 100km; this will be my next exercise in
testing out the sleeping potential of various verges in and around
Oxon. Anyone else?

dkahn400 wrote:

> Oh, probably. :)

there goes my place on the sofa back at Chalfont!. Apparently Yat Rock
direct v diff (climbing term) is no longer on the route so may use the
nice bike. It is of course just possible to do the IOW randonee
straight after ;-)

MartinM wrote:
> Anyone else?

Maybe...

In an ideal world, the answer would be definitely yes, but it's the
Invicta 400 the following weekend and something tells me attempting both
would come under the category of Not A Good Idea.

In an ideal world, the world in which I was one of the Richard Phipps
clones, this would be my ride calendar for the next couple of months:
12/03 Invicta Grimpeur 100*
19/03 Cotswold-Chiltern Brevet 200
26/03 Start of Summertime 200*
01/04 The Dean 300
09/04 Dorset Coast 200
15/04 Invicta 300*
22/04 Lacock along the Kennett 200 or Tea Bag 300
29/04 Severn Across 400
06/05 Invicta 400*
14/05 Hop Garden 200
20/05 Bryan Chapman 600

I've asterisked the ones I am likely to do in the real world. :-(

d.

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Anyone else?

> Maybe...
>
> In an ideal world, the answer would be definitely yes, but it's the
> Invicta 400 the following weekend and something tells me attempting both
> would come under the category of Not A Good Idea.

I would recommend the Invicta rather than the SA purely because it's
nearer to you. I have friends in high places (or a mattress at work)
which should make the SA feasible.
As to your list, very nice, done a few of them, almost believed it
until you slipped in the Brian Chapman ;-)

MartinM wrote:
> I would recommend the Invicta rather than the SA purely because it's
> nearer to you.

Yebbut Chiddingstone ain't all that easy to get to from here, and my
sister's boyfriend has a flat in Ealing, which might put a different
complexion on things. We'll see...

> As to your list, very nice, done a few of them, almost believed it
> until you slipped in the Brian Chapman ;-)

Like I said, in an ideal world... ;-)

d.

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > I would recommend the Invicta rather than the SA purely because it's
> > nearer to you.

> Yebbut Chiddingstone ain't all that easy to get to from here, and my
> sister's boyfriend has a flat in Ealing, which might put a different
> complexion on things. We'll see...

I'll probably do the Invicta next year, goes within 3km of my house on
the way back (although less than 50k from the finish). Go for SA if you
can, it's probably easier. I can't do the Invicta this year as I have
Thorne-Edinburgh the week after.

MartinM wrote:
> As I'm sure no-one else is going to be daft enough to try any of El
> Supremo's events longer than 100km; this will be my next exercise in
> testing out the sleeping potential of various verges in and around
> Oxon. Anyone else?

I'd like to but perhaps not this year. Plains 300 on the same day anyhow.

dkahn400 wrote:
> Oh, probably. :)
>
> --
> Dave...

just been reading your RR on urc (can't face picking up Arrivee and
that awful photo) very reminiscent of my last time. I arrived on time
for that too but 15 min after everyone else who had gone early; rode
the first 50k alone then took a wrong turning and ended up back on the
A40 towards Oxford so thought 'sod it' and went to Headington
McDogburgers instead, then took the direct route to Woodstock where I
met the rest of the field. Still goes down as one of my most memorable
rides as it completed my SR. Just wished I'd done what every other
rider I met on it had done and gone for The Big One (even though I
hadn't qualified that year)

In article <[email protected]>,
MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
> As I'm sure no-one else is going to be daft enough to try any of El
> Supremo's events longer than 100km; this will be my next exercise in
> testing out the sleeping potential of various verges in and around
> Oxon. Anyone else?

Not I, as I have a race on the 30th, so will be doing the ECCA Festival
200 on the Bank Holibob Monday instead. First 400 will be the Invicta.

The sixth student said, "I ride my bicycle because I want people to look
up to me and say 'Wow! He looks really good up there!' The teacher
replied: 'Go away, Fabrizio!'"