Sevice cost

guy231

Feb 10, 2011
Hey guys, just wondering what you pay for a major or minor service on your bikes. Just did oone the other day and it cost R800, approx. $115. All the ydo is clean the chain and lube, check and grease bearings and readjust the groupset.

I must say tho, that the bike does feel and sound way better after a service, smooth gear changes and not as noisy as before the service.

Believe I paid $35 for my local bike shop to do the same to my bike last year.
Felt a decent difference afterwards as well.

for a complete maintenance service 40 to 60 dollars in my area,

Normal start of the season tune-up in this area for a sealed bearing bike runs about $120.00 which includes full lubrication of all the pivot points, trueing the wheels, adjusting and lubeing all cables, and chain maintenance. There are several shops that will not touch a bike that does not have sealed bearings due to the time required to repack and adjust non-sealed bearing wheels, BB, and head sets. The ones that will do it charge upwards of $160.00. Since the majority of my bikes are vintage bikes with unsealed bearings, I learned long ago how to do my own maintenance.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Normal start of the season tune-up in this area for a sealed bearing bike runs about $120.00 which includes full lubrication of all the pivot points, trueing the wheels, adjusting and lubeing all cables, and chain maintenance. There are several shops that will not touch a bike that does not have sealed bearings due to the time required to repack and adjust non-sealed bearing wheels, BB, and head sets. The ones that will do it charge upwards of $160.00. Since the majority of my bikes are vintage bikes with unsealed bearings, I learned long ago how to do my own maintenance.
My basic tube up-true wheels off the bike, tires off, adjust ders, brakes, all bearings, lube chain, clean bike-$80

Delux-drivetrain removal and clean, BB OVH(CRs off, pulleys off, chain off, ders off, clean), true wheels, all adjustments, cleaning-$150

Overhaul-all above plus OVH hubs and headset-$200..plus parts.

Wow so if I look at it that way, my bike got a minor service and for the price it is kinda expensive. I try and do my own maintanance on the bike nut nothin major like wheels and bearings, just the odd adjustments, cleaning of groupset and lubing the chain.

In my LBS, a complete tune up, including BB and headset, is a little over $200.

Used to be, 25+ years ago, I used to do it all myself; never took my bike to the shop. Now, since I returned to biking a couple of years ago, I can hardly do anything. When I try adjusting my derailleurs, I usually mess them up and have to take the bike to the LBS. Kind of sad.

Lew

Originally Posted by Lewie .

Used to be, 25+ years ago, I used to do it all myself; never took my bike to the shop. Now, since I returned to biking a couple of years ago, I can hardly do anything. When I try adjusting my derailleurs, I usually mess them up and have to take the bike to the LBS. Kind of sad.

Lew
same situation for me,
(LBS for me maybe 100 US right now)

The only things that I cannot do at home right now is press in new sealed bearings, face and tap BBs and head tubes, and weld broken frames. Tools have been my biggest cost, but with six bikes of my own and the two that my girlfriend has, I have come out ahead financially. I really don't have room for an arbor press or a welding machine, and as for facing and tapping BBs and head tubes, I cannot see spending $4000 on a tool kit that I would only use once per bike. Definitely much cheaper to have this done at the LBS.