Sew-up Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jasper808, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jasper808

jasper808 New Member

My race season will be winding down over the course of the next month and I was curious to know if I can remove my race tubular from the wheelset and save them for next year to be re-glued for the season. I will replace them with some training tubulars for the off-season, but I don't want to flush another chunk cash next year when the race season comes around. If they cannot be reused then I'll just us them as the training set. Thanks

Tags:

2. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

You can but its a lot of hassle and prone to difficulties from my experience.

First, when you remove the tyre, you should clean the rim to remove the old cement - not a 2 minute job.

Then you have to store the tyres - the cement picks up dust and muck etc like you can't imagine. Unless you can get it off the tyres too, there will be difficulties when you come to fit them again next year.

I'd be inclined to get a cheaper set of wheels with decent clinchers for training and then you will really appreciate the racing tubs on race day...

Cheers

3. jasper808

jasper808 New Member

Believe me - I know the pain, both literally and mentally, of having to remove glue from the wheelset. Good to know that it is an option, but I think I will take you advice and put some clinchers on for the off-season. Thanks!

4. Ludicrous

Ludicrous New Member

I would not remove the glue unless it is too thick. A base layer is a good thing IMO. It also might be better to leave the tire mounted with some air, you can always reglue.