Sexy Bike Bits

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi Tech72, nice ... to ask did they ever race that frame with the dropped headset. I notice that the complete bike does not have the dropped headset :)

I believe the Laser Evoluzione frame was only a show piece and never actually used in competition or put into production. The detailing and craftsmanship is elegantly beautiful, just perfect. Keep in mind that these frames were made of steel, not in a carbon mold. So to achieve the angles and radii takes serious brazing skill and hand finishing work. The last photo is of a Laser Concept that Cinelli built within the last few years. Lasers are one of the first aero frames ever made and a true legend. I still remember seeing a Cinelli Laser road bike with full Campy C-Record at a bike shop in the late '80's. I remember it being listed for $6500 at that time.

The Mavic cranks weighed more than a house and the anodizing went all funky. I still have one of the bottom brackets that Mavic made in that era that required an angled face to be ground into the bottom bracket shell - that too weighs about the same as a brick.

Shamals... the real ones.

Some random bike sexiness:

Ebbetts pass just prior to the Alta Alpina Challenge. Mmmmm snow banks. Brrrrrr.

Zipp PowerTap disk. Dimples... cute little dimples...

Delta calipers - well, the Croce D'Aune version. All sexy and fun until you have to stop in a hurry.

Dura Ace titanium bits...

Non-bike sexy bits: An old non-master volume 50 watt lead head (model 1987) an original made in 1972,

Quote:Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

"The Mavic cranks weighed more than a house and the anodizing went all funky. I still have one of the bottom brackets that Mavic made in that era that required an angled face to be ground into the bottom bracket shell - that too weighs about the same as a brick."

True, the Mavic 631 crankset was far from being lightweight. But asthetically, they were very pleasing to look at. Much like Campy's Deltas. Gorgeous to hold and to look at, but heavy, cumbersome and not good at their designated function. As for the same vintage Mavic BB, I too had one. They were ingenius though, as they fit all BB shell regardless of thread and width. The BB bearings were fantastic - super smooth and lasted forever. Same sentiments for the Mavic 501 hubset. The '80's vintage Mavic SSC grouppo was arguably the best of the era. Too bad Mavic got more interested in building boutique wheelsets than continuing with their componentry.

Attachments

• Mavic SSC.jpg
    Mavic SSC.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7
swampy1970 said:
The Mavic cranks weighed more than a house and the anodizing went all funky. I still have one of the bottom brackets that Mavic made in that era that required an angled face to be ground into the bottom bracket shell - that too weighs about the same as a brick.
Shamals... the real ones.

Current Campy hubs have fallen a few notches below the old, gorgeous metal ones. Yes, Shamals were one of the sexiest set of wheels to grace our planet. I don't know why they named the current Shamals as they did since they bear no resemblance at all to the originals and lack the lust generating power of the originals. Now sexy wheels are a bit different:
english-cycles-aero-hubs-custom-enve-smart-system-wheels1.jpg
2125_0.JPG
And who thought power meters could be sexy, eh?
srm_campagnolo_2_600.jpg