SF, CA vs. Colorado riding, which is better?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Goober, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Goober

    Goober Guest

    Considering moving to San Fran in a few weeks for a new job. Is the riding any good?

    Tags:

  2. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    Goober <nogoobs(nospam)@hotmail.net> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Considering moving to San Fran in a few weeks for a new job. Is the riding any good?

    No, it sucks. Stay in Colorado.

  3. Jim Feeley

    Jim Feeley Guest

    WooGoogle <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Goober <nogoobs(nospam)@hotmail.net> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Considering moving to San Fran in a few weeks for a new job. Is the riding any good?
    >
    > No, it sucks. Stay in Colorado.

    He's right. The riding in San Francisco isn't that great. But the riding all around San
    Francisco--in Marin, the East Bay, the Peninsula, etc-- is really nice. Lots of good group rides,
    mostly decent roads.

    For local racing links start at:

    http://www.ncnca.org

    swoo's probably just worried about your arrival driving housing prices even higher...

    Jim

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    =v= It's not the sign of an a2hole to point out abuse of Usenet newsgroups, particularly
    commercially-motivated abuse (a.k.a. spamming).

    =v= The WHOLE PURPOSE of a *.marketplace newsgroup is to provide a place for that sort of thing
    SEPARATE from other newsgroups. Cross-posting commercial messages defeats that purpose. It is quite
    right to inform the offender of this. Since others may follow suit, it's also at times necessary to
    cross-post this information to the original newsgroups the spam was posted to. <_Jym_

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Goober" <nogoobs(nospam)@hotmail.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Considering moving to San Fran in a few weeks for a new job. Is the riding any good?

    No, it sucks big time. Might as well sell your bike before you get here. Nothing out in Marin to
    speak of and certainly nothing south of the county line. Nothing across the bay and nothing at all
    in the central valley.

    Hardly anyone rides here and you'll never find anyone to ride with anyway.

  6. Sorry I must have found rec.roadbike.racing.dorks by mistake?

    >No, it sucks big time. Might as well sell your bike before you get here. Nothing out in Marin to
    >speak of and certainly nothing south of the county line. Nothing across the bay and nothing at all
    >in the central valley.
    >
    >Hardly anyone rides here and you'll never find anyone to ride with anyway.

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, givemeabreakitwasanhonestquestion
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry I must have found rec.roadbike.racing.dorks by mistake?

    I guess you need to know that people in the land of 350 training days a year have a sense of humor.

    -WG

    > >No, it sucks big time. Might as well sell your bike before you get here. Nothing out in Marin to
    > >speak of and certainly nothing south of the county line. Nothing across the bay and nothing at
    > >all in the central valley.
    > >
    > >Hardly anyone rides here and you'll never find anyone to ride with anyway.

  8. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Considering that SF is only about 50 square miles, nobody does group rides *in* San Francisco. The
    >riding opportunities are superb. The only advantage in Colorado is the altitude.

    And lack of humidity. A humid day in CO is dryer than a dry day in San Fran.

    If the "Bay Area" is so great, I gotta wonder why there are so many people coming here.

    Scott
    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  9. Us

    Us Guest

    too bad the fine art of sacrasm is often lost on this crew...........

  10. "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Considering that SF is only about 50 square miles, nobody does group
    rides
    > >*in* San Francisco. The riding opportunities are superb. The only
    advantage
    > >in Colorado is the altitude.
    >

    > And lack of humidity. A humid day in CO is dryer than a dry day in San
    Fran.

    > If the "Bay Area" is so great, I gotta wonder why there are so many people coming here.

    Jobs. There is a tech bust in the Bay Area. Cost of living. Because of the unwillingness of the
    people to develop the open space that remains, there has been a shortage of developable land for
    many years now.

    If I had a choice between Denver and SF, I'd take SF. It's got something rare in the Western US -
    it's really a city (city center, mass transit, different boroughs, each with their own character).
    Denver is nice, but it is threatening to become a gigantic piece of suburban sprawl, albeit next to
    the Rockies.

    BTW, for 16 years I lived 100 miles from Denver, so I'm quite familiar with the area. Never have
    lived in SF, so I am not homering it.

  11. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:58:10 -0600, us <[email protected]> wrote:

    >too bad the fine art of sacrasm is often lost on this crew...........

    I believe it was more insulting than sarcastic.

    Like "Oh you don't know about riding in N. Cal?" "Where have you been?" Sorry! Been in DC, Boston,
    Dallas, Denver, Miami, etc.... Haven't paid much attention to your part of the world. Give me a
    break, OK?

  12. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >Considering that SF is only about 50 square miles, nobody does group
    >rides
    >> >*in* San Francisco. The riding opportunities are superb. The only
    >advantage
    >> >in Colorado is the altitude.
    >>

    >> And lack of humidity. A humid day in CO is dryer than a dry day in San
    >Fran.
    >>
    >> If the "Bay Area" is so great, I gotta wonder why there are so many people coming here.
    >

    >Jobs. There is a tech bust in the Bay Area. Cost of living. Because of the unwillingness of the
    >people to develop the open space that remains, there has been a shortage of developable land for
    >many years now.

    There aint SHIT for jobs in Colorado, I promise.

    >If I had a choice between Denver and SF, I'd take SF. It's got something rare in the Western US -
    >it's really a city (city center, mass transit, different boroughs, each with their own character).
    >Denver is nice, but it is threatening to become a gigantic piece of suburban sprawl, albeit next to
    >the Rockies.

    Good call. I avoid denver like the plague.

    >BTW, for 16 years I lived 100 miles from Denver, so I'm quite familiar with the area. Never have
    >lived in SF, so I am not homering it.

    I only have limited time in SF, same with denver. I do like the Springs, Durango seems pretty nice
    too... just a little too remote for me.

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  13. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "givemeabreakitwasanhonestquestion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:58:10 -0600, us <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >too bad the fine art of sacrasm is often lost on this crew...........
    > >
    > I believe it was more insulting than sarcastic.
    >
    > Like "Oh you don't know about riding in N. Cal?" "Where have you been?" Sorry! Been in DC, Boston,
    > Dallas, Denver, Miami, etc.... Haven't paid much attention to your part of the world. Give me a
    > break, OK?

    Forget SF, try Seattle.

    Dashii

  14. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <VBlJa[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > > >Considering that SF is only about 50 square miles, nobody does group
    > rides
    > > >*in* San Francisco. The riding opportunities are superb. The only
    > advantage
    > > >in Colorado is the altitude.
    > >

    > > And lack of humidity. A humid day in CO is dryer than a dry day in San
    > Fran.
    > >
    > > If the "Bay Area" is so great, I gotta wonder why there are so many
    people
    > > coming here.
    >

    > Jobs. There is a tech bust in the Bay Area. Cost of living. Because of the unwillingness of the
    > people to develop the open space that remains, there has been a shortage of developable land for
    > many years now.
    >
    > If I had a choice between Denver and SF, I'd take SF. It's got something rare in the Western US -
    > it's really a city (city center, mass transit, different boroughs, each with their own character).
    > Denver is nice, but it is threatening to become a gigantic piece of suburban sprawl, albeit next
    > the Rockies.
    >
    > BTW, for 16 years I lived 100 miles from Denver,

    Cheyenne, WY?

    Dashii

  15. Us

    Us Guest

    not my part of the world, it just amazes me at what noramally civil people will say/write behind the
    cover of the internet.... ask me about the intermountain west

  16. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > rides
    > > advantage
    > > >

    > > > And lack of humidity. A humid day in CO is dryer than a dry day in
    San
    > > Fran.
    > > >
    > > > If the "Bay Area" is so great, I gotta wonder why there are so many
    > people
    > > > coming here.
    > >

    > > Jobs. There is a tech bust in the Bay Area. Cost of living. Because of
    the
    > > unwillingness of the people to develop the open space that remains,
    there
    > > has been a shortage of developable land for many years now.
    > >
    > > If I had a choice between Denver and SF, I'd take SF. It's got something rare in the Western US
    > > - it's really a city (city center, mass transit, different boroughs, each with their own
    > > character). Denver is nice, but
    it
    > > is threatening to become a gigantic piece of suburban sprawl, albeit
    next
    > > the Rockies.
    > >
    > > BTW, for 16 years I lived 100 miles from Denver,
    >
    > Cheyenne, WY?
    >
    > Dashii

    close, Laramie.

  17. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > rides
    > > > advantage

    > San
    > > > Fran.

    > > people
    > > >

    > > > Jobs. There is a tech bust in the Bay Area. Cost of living. Because of
    > the
    > > > unwillingness of the people to develop the open space that remains,
    > there
    > > > has been a shortage of developable land for many years now.
    > > >
    > > > If I had a choice between Denver and SF, I'd take SF. It's got
    something
    > > > rare in the Western US - it's really a city (city center, mass
    transit,
    > > > different boroughs, each with their own character). Denver is nice,
    but
    > it
    > > > is threatening to become a gigantic piece of suburban sprawl, albeit
    > next
    > > > the Rockies.
    > > >
    > > > BTW, for 16 years I lived 100 miles from Denver,
    > >
    > > Cheyenne, WY?
    > >
    > > Dashii
    >

    > close, Laramie.

    Ya gotta love that big hill between Cheyenne & Laramie.

    I was at Cheyenne, 37 Air Rescue and Recovery Service, UH-1N helicopters.

    Dashii

  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "givemeabreakitwasanhonestquestion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:58:10 -0600, us <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >too bad the fine art of sacrasm is often lost on this
    crew...........

    > I believe it was more insulting than sarcastic.
    >
    > Like "Oh you don't know about riding in N. Cal?" "Where have you been?" Sorry! Been in DC, Boston,
    > Dallas, Denver, Miami, etc.... Haven't paid much attention to your part of the world. Give me a
    > break, OK?

    Maybe you ought to read the posting again without the chip on your shoulder.

  19. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > close, Laramie.
    >
    > Ya gotta love that big hill between Cheyenne & Laramie.

    It's good to go mountain biking up there - right out of town there's nothing but fire and
    logging roads all the way up, but Laramie's weather being what it is, it's only good a few
    months a year (summer).

    > I was at Cheyenne, 37 Air Rescue and Recovery Service, UH-1N helicopters.

    My (childhood) neighbor sat in Minuteman silos for weeks at a time.