SFGP Predictions

Tom Kunich

Guest
I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.

I'll gor for Horner for a good result. He's a good rider, when he
wants to, he usually does!, he's also had a fairly easy early season,
so should still be in good form. Looking FW to seeing him next year at
the races...

Tom Kunich wrote:
> I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.

Candyass.

I want to pick a homer too. Tim Johnson is finally finishing races in
the front group, but I would guess that his main focus is to give Page
a run for his money as the best US crosser in Europe, but I think he
could be underestimated if he were to go in an early break.

I think it's Mike Jones' turn at the Health Net dinner table.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.

Horner is riding the Vuelta, last I saw. I think the Vuelta and SF
overlap, don't they?

If Basso shows up with the same sort of ambition he had in Denmark, I
would count him among the favorites.

jc wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>> I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.
>>

> Horner is riding the Vuelta, last I saw. I think the Vuelta and SF
> overlap, don't they?
>
> If Basso shows up with the same sort of ambition he had in Denmark, I
> would count him among the favorites.

Horner is reportedly confirmed for SFGP which is Sept 4. La Vuelta is
Aug 27 to Sept 18th and I haven't seen many confirmed starts for Spain.

Diablo Scott wrote:
> jc wrote:
>
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>>> I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.
>>>

>> Horner is riding the Vuelta, last I saw. I think the Vuelta and SF
>> overlap, don't they?
>>
>> If Basso shows up with the same sort of ambition he had in Denmark, I
>> would count him among the favorites.

> Horner is reportedly confirmed for SFGP which is Sept 4. La Vuelta is
> Aug 27 to Sept 18th and I haven't seen many confirmed starts for Spain.

Makes sense. I think I saw that he was on the long list for Saunier
Duval's Vuelta team, so that doesn't mean all that much really. I
haven't seen any official start lists or rosters yet either.

"gym.gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> I'm betting Horner is going to be ready to fight George all the way.

> Candyass.
>
> I want to pick a homer too. Tim Johnson is finally finishing races in
> the front group, but I would guess that his main focus is to give Page
> a run for his money as the best US crosser in Europe, but I think he
> could be underestimated if he were to go in an early break.
>
> I think it's Mike Jones' turn at the Health Net dinner table.

Could be but SFGP is a pretty hard race and Mike is more of a sprinter type.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "gym.gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I think it's Mike Jones' turn at the Health Net dinner table.

> Could be but SFGP is a pretty hard race and Mike is more of a sprinter type.

Are you sure? He can't even win a 3 up sprint:

Results (wachusett mountain, fitchburg, 2003)

Men Pro 1/2

1 Chris Horner (Saturn) 4.28.16
2 Mike Jones (West Virginia)
3 Jonathan Vaughters (Prime Alliance)
4 Doug Ollerenshaw (Broadmark Capital) 0.08
5 Viktor Rapinski (Saturn) 0.10
6 Ian Dille (Team Snow Valley) 0.15
7 Paul Martin (West Virginia)
8 Darby Thomas (Onion River Sports) 0.18
9 Philip Wong (Essex County Velo) 0.22
10 Peter Hult (ProCycles-Giant)

jc wrote:
> Diablo Scott wrote:
>
>> jc wrote:

>>> Horner is riding the Vuelta, last I saw. I think the Vuelta and SF
>>> overlap, don't they?
>>>
>>> If Basso shows up with the same sort of ambition he had in Denmark, I
>>> would count him among the favorites.

>> Horner is reportedly confirmed for SFGP which is Sept 4. La Vuelta is
>> Aug 27 to Sept 18th and I haven't seen many confirmed starts for Spain.

> Makes sense. I think I saw that he was on the long list for Saunier
> Duval's Vuelta team, so that doesn't mean all that much really. I
> haven't seen any official start lists or rosters yet either.

For an American to be selected for the Vuelta squad on a Spanish team is
wishful thinking. Plus, he did the Tour already. He should do more of
what he's better at: one-day races.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:08:58 -0700, sonarrat wrote:
> [Horner] should do more of what he's better at: one-day races.

He should get his chance now that he's going to Davitamon-Lotto.

--
E. Dronkert

sonarrat wrote:
> jc wrote:
>
>> Diablo Scott wrote:

>>> Horner is reportedly confirmed for SFGP which is Sept 4. La Vuelta is
>>> Aug 27 to Sept 18th and I haven't seen many confirmed starts for Spain.

>> Makes sense. I think I saw that he was on the long list for Saunier
>> Duval's Vuelta team, so that doesn't mean all that much really. I
>> haven't seen any official start lists or rosters yet either.

> For an American to be selected for the Vuelta squad on a Spanish team is
> wishful thinking. Plus, he did the Tour already. He should do more of
> what he's better at: one-day races.

From the sounds of his Velonews articles, they were seriously
considering sending him to the Vuelta until the sponsorship announcement
for SFGP came through. I expect the sponsors were pretty happy with his
Tour ride, despite the lack of showing on the results sheet. Horner's
ride at the Tour was more memorable than that of some of the GC
hopefuls, in my view.